Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

Probably the best written comedy series ever, and certainly one of the funniest.

The recent remake wasn't much to shout about but if you closed your eyes and mentally imposed the voices of Eddington, Hawthorne and Fowlds it got better.

Not seen the recent remake and I don't intend to. There's only one Jim Hacker, Bernard Woolley and Sir Humphrey Appleby, to try and do it with other actors is kinda like trying to do Fawlty Towers without John Cleese, Prunella Scales, Connie Booth and Andrew Sachs. You can't remake genius. The Channel 5 attempt at reviving Red Dwarf was so bad it actually depressed me :( Not really what you are looking for in a comedy lol

• Like 1

In case no one has yet mentioned it 24 has some good seasons and there loads of it if you are looking for volume.

Not done Boardwalk Empire but got a mate that loves it and insists i get in on it. The new House of Cards is also well reviewed but not sure how it matches up to the orig series.

I was also surprised how good Battlestar Gallactica was (reboot). My Bro suggested it to me and I turfed that suggestion for a while until I was bored and bed ridden with flu... turned out to be a stonker!

to give a hint of my tastes The Wire is IMO the best TV Drama (non comedy) ever, Breaking Bad not too far behind.

Wasn't a fan of 24 at all after the first season. Every other one seemed to have Kiefer Sutherland torturing someone, because it's OK if the good guy does it to save the world :headpain: Seemed a bit too much like right wing propaganda to me - torture is acceptable as long as the 'good guys' are doing it. Made me feel sick.

I enjoyed Boardwalk Empire, though. And I loved the original House of Cards so was prepared to hate the American remake, but actually I thought it was really good, definitely worth watching :)

• Like 2

Seemed a bit too much like right wing propaganda to me - torture is acceptable as long as the 'good guys' are doing it. Made me feel sick.

Funny you mention that Booj :fear: I withnail'd a whole paragraph about subliminal anti-Muslim propaganda & questioned the production company's motives and whom it was funded by in my Tyrant recommendation (post #371) because I thought it was just me being my usual paranoid self. :unsure: Yh, I agree that there does seem to be lots of this type of fear/hate/paranoia inducing programming atm. :sadwalk:

:yinyang:

eta - @@YoLo Yes mate BSG was a real treat, loved the original but the reboot was fantastic. :notworthy: If you liked BSG, try Caprica :wub: & BSG Razor. :yep:

Edited by Saddam

So, what do peeps think about Homeland? I think Damian Lewis is superb, the other acting is very good and the writing, given certain caveats, is tight. I'm just not sure what political message is being sent. I can't believe after Band Of Brothers Damian Lewis either needs to do, for money, work he doesn't want to do or that he would do a propaganda piece. So I'm baffled by this piece of work. I watched 2 series.

e2a: Peeps for people.

Edited by SkullandBones

Funny you mention that Booj :fear: I withnail'd a whole paragraph about subliminal anti-Muslim propaganda & questioned the production company's motives and whom it was funded by in my Tyrant recommendation (post #371) because I thought it was just me being my usual paranoid self. :unsure: Yh, I agree that there does seem to be lots of this type of fear/hate/paranoia inducing programming atm. :sadwalk:

NCIS is another one. Every other episode is about the 'threat of terrorism', the main bloke Gibbs is an ex Marine meathead who constantly espouses right wing opinions, and they've even got a sexy woman who happens to be a Mossad murderer (sorry, agent). Despicable right wing propaganda, but hey, it's just entertainment...

I believe it's one of the most popular TV shows in America.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Do you mean Sons of Anarchy ?

The first season was OK. Not great, but OK. When they went to the IRA it became utterly laughable, Americans trying to do Irish accents and failing embarrassingly, and the whole plot line was comical.

Motorbike crew probably is Sons of Anarchy with my anachronistic memory. Watched the first one and all I got was an excuse for violence. I'm told though that this does justify itself be strong plot elements. The whole piece is meant to be a reworking of a Shakespeare play.

I have a dyslexic aversion to Shakespeare because I struggle with basic common English so much.

e2a: Considering the widespread "Oh I don't watch TV" mantra that we hear so much, this thread runs for me with my post per thread settings to 26 pages!

Edited by SkullandBones

Motorbike crew probably is Sons of Anarchy with my anachronistic memory. Watched the first one and all I got was an excuse for violence. I'm told though that this does justify itself be strong plot elements. The whole piece is meant to be a reworking of a Shakespeare play.

I have a dyslexic aversion to Shakespeare because I struggle with basic common English so much.

Well I'm a big fan of Shakespeare - hated being made to read it at school, but it's not supposed to be read - Shakespeare wrote plays, not books, it's supposed to be watched. My school experience of Shakespeare almost ruined it for me, but I'm fortunate enough to have seen a lot of the plays as they are meant to be experienced since I left school, and now I love Shakespeare :) And I can honestly say there is absolutely nothing about Sons of Anarchy that reworks Shakespeare ;)

• Like 1

A couple of the great Shakespeare speeches, watched not read, perhaps in different settings than expected :)

(this one is an abridged version, but still brilliantly delivered, from one of the all-time great stoner films, Withnail & I)

I'd like to see a Shakespeare at the Globe. Some of the wonderful ways they had to stage a play, scintillating effect of delicate white feathers as snow, stunning effect.

Not seen the recent remake and I don't intend to. There's only one Jim Hacker, Bernard Woolley and Sir Humphrey Appleby, to try and do it with other actors is kinda like trying to do Fawlty Towers without John Cleese, Prunella Scales, Connie Booth and Andrew Sachs. You can't remake genius. The Channel 5 attempt at reviving Red Dwarf was so bad it actually depressed me :( Not really what you are looking for in a comedy lol

Channel 5? Do you mean Dave....? I thought season 10 was better than the awful Back to Earth/Season 9 three episode jobee but the departure of Rob Grant has certainly diminished the quality of the writing and end result.

In my last place in London, opposite my house was a bench with a plaque of dedication to Paul Eddington (think he must have lived locally)... that really made me happy for no particular reason.

Wasn't a fan of 24 at all after the first season. Every other one seemed to have Kiefer Sutherland torturing someone, because it's OK if the good guy does it to save the world :headpain: Seemed a bit too much like right wing propaganda to me - torture is acceptable as long as the 'good guys' are doing it. Made me feel sick.

I enjoyed Boardwalk Empire, though. And I loved the original House of Cards so was prepared to hate the American remake, but actually I thought it was really good, definitely worth watching :)

Can't say I was bothered by the torture/propaganda element in the slightest - it's only fiction.... my interest started waning the more it turned into 'Jack Bauer - Superman'

Now that I'm between shows I'm going to go for BE or HOC... decisions decisions...

Well I'm a big fan of Shakespeare - hated being made to read it at school, but it's not supposed to be read - Shakespeare wrote plays, not books, it's supposed to be watched. My school experience of Shakespeare almost ruined it for me, but I'm fortunate enough to have seen a lot of the plays as they are meant to be experienced since I left school, and now I love Shakespeare :) And I can honestly say there is absolutely nothing about Sons of Anarchy that reworks Shakespeare ;)

Have you heard about the live stage plays being telecast to cinemas ? MrsJP and I are off to see Macbeth from the globe at our local movie theatre[1]. And we're also seeing the Monty Python reunion live on screen too.

Fucking brilliant idea IMHO. I love theatre, but it's fucking pricey, and for some reason a real faff (and that's before you factor in wheelchair access). Our local movie theatre is convenient, fully accessible, and has popcorn :)

[1]I for one would now be happy to say "movie theatre" instead of cinema, since that's now what it is.

• Like 2

eta - @@YoLo Yes mate BSG was a real treat, loved the original but the reboot was fantastic. :notworthy: If you liked BSG, try Caprica :wub: & BSG Razor. :yep:

I went to give Caprica a try but for whatever reason couldnt get into the first episode and never really tried again.

I freely admit i have watched far too much of the gogglebox in recent times so I make a concerted effort to only get involved in a select few shows nowadays, and one at a time.

Didn't do BB at all until it had started 4th season - same for GOT - glad i did get round to them eventually tho

Edited by YoLo
  • Like 1

I love a bit of torture tv, me. Doesn't mean I agree with it irl though. Not everything had an agenda. It would be a bit boring if they tried to tickle a confession out of someone.