Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

@toki  Blakes 7 did not age at all well. The sets were wobblier than Crossroads :). Fucking loved it as a kid, wished I'd let it stay there .

Edited by monkeypig
  • Like 1

Just now, monkeypig said:

@toki  Blakes 7 did not age ate all well. The sets were wobblier than Crossroads :). Fucking loved it as a kid, wished I'd let it stay there .

Despite all that still enjoyed :)

toki

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Boojum said:

Fairly old one but I recently started watching The Good Wife All4. I confess I put the first episode on cos I was drunk & stoned and flicking through the drama section for something I hadn't watched yet and saw Julianna Margulies was in it and I've always had a thing for her :bag: but I got into it, now halfway through season 2.

I thought TGW was excellent, gearing up to watch it again. Micheal J. Fox was brilliant.

Archie Panjabi does it for me :bag:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monkeypig said:

Blakes 7 did not age at all well.

In some ways it has aged better than its more generously funded contemporaries. The insanely low SFX budget meant they couldn't do the kind of "high tech" stuff (flashing lights, busy tape drives etc) that looks so dated know. Blakes 7 generally had to make do with a box - spray painted black.

One thing that strikes me is the appearance of a lot of the the actors. By today's standards they are incredibly skinny and pasty faced with bad hair/skin/teeth. Like Belta Lowda should look!

• Like 2

Those were the days when they had to make up for the lack of fancy special effect by having such a thing as - shock, horror - a decent plot :ohmygod: Nowadays (especially in movies) it's the exact reverse, why bother with a decent, well plotted story when you can just have 2 hours of fancy CGI :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Just now, Boojum said:

Those were the days when they had to make up for the lack of fancy special effect by having such a thing as - shock, horror - a decent plot :ohmygod: Nowadays (especially in movies) it's the exact reverse, why bother with a decent, well plotted story when you can just have 2 hours of fancy CGI :rolleyes:

That's exactly the reason why I started watching Blake's 7...

toki

• Like 2

For recent sci-fi I think The Expanse (referenced above by Simple Jack :) ) is head and shoulders above everything else, IMHO one of the best sci-fi series ever (I was a little disappointed in the latest season, I don't think it was as good as the previous ones, but that's a minor gripe). Highly recommended if you've not already watched it  :)

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

I'm just about to start re-watching the first season of True Detective (the second season was shit, but I thought the first season was brilliant). Recently re-read The King In Yellow (a weird book of horror/fantasy short stories written by Robert W Chambers in 1895) and some Thomas Ligotti, which kinda put me in the mood since both  had a big influence on season 1 of True Detective :)

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

@Saddam hi long time no heard from you mate  ,,any one watched ,invisible pilot on sky . 3 part doc .ithink tom cruise was in a film  about the same 

guy , i anit seen the last part yet , ALB. lol kind regards geogeo.  

Edited by geogeo

Just now, Shumroom said:

Lovecraft Country was quite an enjoyable watch :D

Atb 

:yinyang:

I started watching that when it first came out, it was just after I'd read the book and I didn't get past the first episode cos I just felt it didn't live up to the original and they changed things (I forget what now, but at the time they seemed to be pretty jarring changes). But I reckon I may give it a watch now cos the book isn't fresh in my mind so I probably won't notice the changes made to the plot for 'tv reasons' or whatever and if I do they won't grate as much :)

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Yeah it's been a while since I watched it, 

I can't remember what made me think of it :)

Atb 

:yinyang:

Black Bird (The Falcon's Tale)

"Jimmy Keene is sentenced to 10 years in a minimum security prison but he cuts a deal with the FBI to befriend a suspected serial killer. Keene has to elicit a confession from Larry Hall to find the bodies of as many as eighteen women."

First couple of episodes are pretty good, I struggle a bit with Taron Egorton, Ray Liota's last work I think.

:oldtoker:

• Like 2

Seen trailers for that, looks like it could be interesting.

There's just too many fucking streaming services around now (OK, I know you can get it all free, yarr :pugwash: ) but it still means there's loads of stuff being churned out so it's hard to know what's worth watching and what isn't. I think we're drowning in 'content' now, but that doesn't mean there's any more good stuff than there used to be (cos they still make it based on how big an audience they'll get, not on quality of writing or stuff like that :rolleyes: ), there's just more shit to wade through to find the good stuff  :headpain:I got another Now TV offer last month, a quid a month for 2 months and I'm already re-watching stuff I watched last time they emailed me the quid a month offer (like True Detective and Ray Donovan) cos there's no new stuff I'm remotely interested in. Landscapers was good, Mare of Easttown was good but apart from that there's not much I want to watch that I haven't already watched. E2A I'm gonna get a subscription to Netflix next month cos of Sandman, but that's cos it's the TV version of one of my favourite works of the imagination ever written, but that's a one-off.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2