Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

Another TV pilot for your perusal :) The Last Ship :pugwash: post apocalyptic sci-fi based on a US navy warship, I quite liked it. :yep:

:yinyang:

:wassnnme:

• Like 1

Just finished season 1 of Orange is the New Black. I thought it was excellent (having initially not thought much of the opening episode) - highly recommended :)

:yes: first episode I thought was pretty shit, just watched episode 3 last night and imo there's a complete change of feel and calibre after the pilot. I only stuck with it after the pilot because enough people (you included) had recommended it.

• Like 1

:yes: first episode I thought was pretty shit, just watched episode 3 last night and imo there's a complete change of feel and calibre after the pilot. I only stuck with it after the pilot because enough people (you included) had recommended it.

:) IMHO it gets better and better. I almost deleted it from my HDD after the first 2 episodes (which really weren't very promising at all, were they), but I'm really glad I stuck with it :)

E2A I think it just took a while for it to find its feet, so to speak.

Eagain2A Jodie Foster directed episode 3, when, as you say, it started to get good :)

And 'Red' is Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager. I hater her in that (but I hated that - never really been a Star Trek fan) but I think she's good in this :)

Edited by Boojum

Also took me half the series to recognise that her fella is the bloke from American Pie who fucks the pie lol

I've been told Lords Of Anarchy has been compared to Shakespeare, glad I know, give me more time to watch Pie In The Sky.

Do you mean Sons of Anarchy ?

The first season was OK. Not great, but OK. When they went to the IRA it became utterly laughable, Americans trying to do Irish accents and failing embarrassingly, and the whole plot line was comical.

Edited by Boojum

Another USA pilot broadcast last night.. Tyrant. Almost a polar opposite to HomeLand and quite dark. Definitely worth watching imho.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Been up all night drinking and am halfway through season 2. It's not anywhere near as good as season 1.

Just downloaded the entire series of Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister to watch at my leisure :)

I loved The Thick of It for its venomous satire (and of course the wonderful creative swearing of Malcolm Tucker :D ), but Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister were in a league of their own in terms of writing, the use (and misuse) of language (especially by Sir Humphrey) was utter genius, often making me chuckle not just for the comedy but for the sheer joy of the writing :D

I caught an episode on Gold last year. It was eerie how contemporary it was. The plot was about a big bank wanting to build a massive office block. All the tropes were completely recognisable. Incompetent bankers. The old boy network. Contempt for the public. It really does underscore how the only thing that has changed since then is we have mobile phones and the internet. But the politics remains the same.

Just downloaded the entire series of Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister to watch at my leisure :)

I loved The Thick of It for its venomous satire (and of course the wonderful creative swearing of Malcolm Tucker :D ), but Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister were in a league of their own in terms of writing, the use (and misuse) of language (especially by Sir Humphrey) was utter genius, often making me chuckle not just for the comedy but for the sheer joy of the writing :D

Probably the best written comedy series ever, and certainly one of the funniest.

The recent remake wasn't much to shout about but if you closed your eyes and mentally imposed the voices of Eddington, Hawthorne and Fowlds it got better.

I caught an episode on Gold last year. It was eerie how contemporary it was. The plot was about a big bank wanting to build a massive office block. All the tropes were completely recognisable. Incompetent bankers. The old boy network. Contempt for the public. It really does underscore how the only thing that has changed since then is we have mobile phones and the internet. But the politics remains the same.

Absolutely man. I downloaded them cos a week or two ago they showed an episode on BBC2 (as part of the BBC2 anniversary stuff), was a Yes Prime Minister one about appointing a new head of the Bank of England, and it could have been made yesterday. Everything that was said still applies now, Politics doesn't change, same horse different jockey. But it reminded me about the great writing :)

In case no one has yet mentioned it 24 has some good seasons and there loads of it if you are looking for volume.

Not done Boardwalk Empire but got a mate that loves it and insists i get in on it. The new House of Cards is also well reviewed but not sure how it matches up to the orig series.

I was also surprised how good Battlestar Gallactica was (reboot). My Bro suggested it to me and I turfed that suggestion for a while until I was bored and bed ridden with flu... turned out to be a stonker!

to give a hint of my tastes The Wire is IMO the best TV Drama (non comedy) ever, Breaking Bad not too far behind.

• Like 1