Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

One of THE great TV villains :notworthy: (Sharpe had some great villains, best was Hakeswill obviously, but close behind were the eminently hissable Ducos and Simmerson). Fun factoid, the role of Sharpe was originally given to Paul McGann, but he injured himself playing football a few days into filming (in the books Sharpe isn't from Yorkshire, he's from London), Sean Bean got the role cos he was the only actor available at such short notice.

Another of my favourite characters is Dan Hagman, superbly played by folk singer John Tams, who co-wrote the music and sang the "Over the hills and far away." that often featured :)

Big fan of Sharpe (despite the battles looking a bit threadbare cos they didn't give it the budget it deserved so they had to scale everything down).

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Boojum said:

despite the battles looking a bit threadbare cos they didn't give it the budget it deserved so they had to scale everything down

Hornblower was much the same but fair play to them for what they managed on budget, it's a shame HBO haven't got more involved as Rome was a great series and perfect example of what the British can achieve with a bit of backing - we've got the actors and the know how just bugger all money put in to it on our part, even Film4 have slowed down in recent years after that early foray.

• Like 4

Aye, I enjoyed Hornblower too (read all the books when I was a kid cos my old man had them all). Also enjoyed the movie Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, shame they didn't make any more of the Aubrey & Maturin series (though the movie was kinda a mish-mash of 3 of the novels).

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

@Boojum The first couple of episodes they really put too much flesh on screen lol it really settles down and you start getting into the intricacies of Charles Vayne, Captain Flint is a real messy guy that's a fun watch throughout the series, loved seeing Long John Silver work his way from fake cook to infamy. Shame Blackbeard comes in to it end of his days but thought Ray Stevenson was decent :yep:

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Exhale said:

@Boojum have you watched Black Sails?

I really hope they get to do Treasure Island.

Black Sails is fantastic. First few episodes are slow but after that its all go. Top 3 tv show for me. No idea why it wasn't more popular.

• Like 9

On 10/23/2021 at 11:46 PM, Saddam said:

Invasion, woja, woja, woja, woja load of shite. lol  Saved you watching 3 episodes. :yep:  

I watched all 3 of these and thought they were great, mind you I love anything scifi

Show's the strength of writing and acting in Sharpe that we can thoroughly support Sharpe and his men when the truth of those dark days was Britain was supporting a totally corrupt and evil system in Spain, against who were actually the peoples saviours, the French.  We support Sharpe and his riflemen because they are just humble ignorant working class trying to survive in cruel punishing times.

• Like 2

Just done season 3 of 4 Blocks...underworld saga set in Berlin....chronicling the trials and tribulations of Lebanese mafia boss Ali "Toni" Hamady and his ruthless clan...quite entertaining (like the other two seasons) but I'm not going to say it's unmissable..

• Like 3

I'm currently watching series 1 of Guilt on the BBC iPlayer. Dark (and occasionally darkly comic) Scottish drama/thriller about 2 brothers (one a decent kinda dropout bloke, failed musician that runs a record shop, the other a not so decent bloke, rich, successful owner of a law firm - played by Mark Bonnar, he's good at playing absolute cunts lol ) who are involved in a fatal hit and run on the way home from a wedding. Really enjoying it :) (was originally on BBC Scotland then on BBC2 apparently, but I missed it). It's nicely twisty :)

e2a I think series 2 is on at the moment (or just finished).

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Chucky. lol Child's Play reboot with Brad Dourif returning to voice that psychotic ginger toy. :notworthy:   It's full of annoying teens and wanker parents so I've pretty much wanted to see everyone get stabbed since episode one.  :wassnnme:Chucky though has made me lol more than a few times. Lexa Doig is in it too, looking beautiful as usual. :wub: 

Edited by Saddam
  • Like 1

@Saddam I didn't know Brad was coming back fair play lol I'll have to catch up when I'm done with Sharpe, currently watching Sharpe's Waterloo - proper good one this is :yep:

• Like 2