Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

It might have already been posted, but Barbarians is excellent. I was sceptical at first when I saw the trailer but when you actually watch the episodes all is explained. I like that they speak Old High German, which is the closest we have to the very early Saxon tribes' language, and Latin for the Romans. The battle of the Teutoburg Forest is well known but this is a great drama built around it with the character of Arminius nicely done, he becomes charismatic as a leader.

Watching the Last Kingdom directly after watching Barbarians is a great idea, to see where the Anglo Saxons came from then how they developed on arriving here.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, McHazy said:

Not watched American gods yet how closely does it follow the book?

I thought season 1 was good, fairly faithful to the book and even when it wasn't it was in the right spirit, after how bad some Neil Gaiman adaptations had been (particularly Coraline) I was pleasantly surprised :) Wasn't anywhere near as good an adaptation as Good Omens (but Gaiman himself wrote the screenplay for that :) ), but decent enough. But I think the production & writing team must have changed for season 2 or summat, cos it just went totally to shit :sadwalk: I gave up on season 2 after about an episode and a half.

• Like 2

I am not normally a fan of post apocalyptic YA shenanigans, the combination of obnoxious American teens and horrible b-movie dialogue is a turnoff,  but Tribes of Europa is not bad actually.

It's not particularly original, but it is competently done.

• Like 1

Watched bit of a sci-fi tv show a while ago but can’t remember what it was of remember it much :rofl:

it was about a group of students in some kind of space program. And one of them is someone importants kid. Also one of them is undercover, they escaped a planet where a guy keeps women as slaves or something. Then the main character gets assigned to a mission and finds out the organisation or whatever is covering up some kind of area which is like an interface to a place with other beings. I think it was set in space. 

anyone have an idea what it is? 

Was talking to a mate earlier who's been watching Band of Brothers again recently, obviously it's a great series and he loves it so I asked if he'd seen HBO's The Pacific (made by a lot of the same folk behind BoB but focussing on the fight against the Japanese in WW2) and he hadn't even heard of it. He's not alone neither, the vast majority of people I know who liked BoB have never watched The Pacific which is a shame I reckon as I think it's much better and says a lot more about war in general and the psychological toll it takes on those involved. It almost has an anti-war flavour to it without being political - just portraying the unimaginable horrors that guys endured just trying to survive. Though maybe that's just me..... I'm not a fan of how most war themed film or TV often glorifies war. It's a tough watch at times but it is a must see IMO.

One of the many brutal scenes from The Pacific......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8rsCV3CCZ0

Writing this reminded me of another great series that flew under the radar for a lot of people, Generation Kill. Created by David Simon and Ed Burns, the same guys behind The Wire and in similar fashion is based on a book of the same name by Evan Wright who wrote about his experiences spending time with the marines during the invasion of Iraq.

In 2003, he was embedded with the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion of the United States Marine Corps during the early stages of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Wright spent his entire time embedded in a recon team led by then Sergeant Brad Colbert. He was under fire with the Marines for several weeks, and accompanied them "on point" (i.e., in the lead vehicle). One of the Marines in the unit told The New York Times, "He was in the worst possible place to have a reporter. During the first firefight, he took 10 rounds in his door."

Like The Wire it is regarded as being very accurate and draws its humour and drama not from regurgitated cliches and action packed sequences but from the wide range of characters, their dialogue and the politics they deal with. Highly recommended by myself!

Edited by dingo bingo
  • Like 1

Ragnarok (not the marvel one) on netflix. Totally binge worthy, shame only 6 episodes in S1, but season 2 is coming soon I believe. Sorry if it's already been posted, it's over a year old but I've only just watched it.

• Like 1

Finished The Expanse - gutted, have to wait for the next season now :sadwalk:

Superb.

And I love that the season finished on an almost Lovecraftian note - they've seen you now, the Old Ones from another dimension, or whatever, they're paying attention to you. Be afraid :fear:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

I'm watching The Shield again . Interesting to see what I remember of it and what parts I had totally

forgotten about in the 15 years or whatever since I watched it.

Well worth watching if you've never seen it.

• Like 2

Caught a clip of sons of anarchy on YouTube last night. Just wondering is the spin off series with the Mexicans anywhere as good?

Caught odd episode where my dad was watching it of " I am a killer ". Interviewing inmates who've been convicted for murder n confess. Some sad stories as well n end up feeling sorry for some of them. Some was just at the scene and was only kids at the time. Sentenced to over 40 years in prison just for being there. Seemed a decent watch.

• Like 1