Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

Guest Rex Mundi

Right, I need to skin up a few, so as UK420 requires too much work and thinking, thus responding and interfering with the skinning, sorry...

I'm off to watch old Corrie... I'm at episode 78- 79 at the mo in this playlist...

and honestly, I was only 4 at the time, but I do recall that Ena Sharples was a right bitch.... and now I think, 'what an odd character, always anti everyone'

:smokin:

Guest theokoles

Ken still the ladies man Rex lol 

Cobra Kai season 3 proper cheese ..

Edited by theokoles

Guest Rex Mundi

Another Jack Hargreaves I find interesting, he mentions the Gypsy community...

and where I grew up my secondary school years (Newark) there is a large 'traveller' population settled,

(hey even now in my village, my local pub I can see from my window is  owned by 'traveller's'... I am banned from there, but honestly, it is nothing to do with gypsy, the problem is purely on my side... I thought otherwise but now realise I am having serious mental problems....)

Gypsy... old name, now called traveller.

But what Jack talks about is the true history, and it is bloody interesting, and I now have respect for gypsies...

Edited by Rex Mundi

The Expanse. By the gods it's brilliant! Finally an intelligent, well cast, well written, well acted scifi series which looks simply amazing. It's basically Game of Thrones in space. Cannot recommend it enough!

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, willowisp said:

The Expanse. By the gods it's brilliant! Finally an intelligent, well cast, well written, well acted scifi series which looks simply amazing. It's basically Game of Thrones in space. Cannot recommend it enough!

Hadn't heard of it but I reckon I'll give it a look  :)

3 hours ago, willowisp said:

The Expanse. By the gods it's brilliant!

I've been enjoying this too,  hard to believe we're on season 5 already.  The only thing which grates with me is the dialect the Belters use, it's fucking annoying.  lol     

• Like 1

Guest Rex Mundi
4 hours ago, willowisp said:

Can I ask an odd question here?

Please understand, I have never seen Game of Thrones, but it sounds historical.

So to put that in space... okay, I'll go with it...

Now... what are their communications devices like? Are they perhaps similar to our today smartphone touch technology devices?

I ask because I'm an old fart, and I remember the original Star Trek, and Kirk tuning knobs and pressing buttons on what was basically walkie-talkie technology... yet look at our devices nowadays... but we don't have warp drive. ;)

So I'm guessing that the comms tech of those progs is silmilar to present day tech...

Please feel free to fullly correct me, I honestly want to know... without having to watch it, (no TV here, no licence)

Sorry, one can too many, waffling now, sorry.

15 minutes ago, Rex Mundi said:

(no TV here, no licence)

You don't need a TV licence to watch on-demand services. :yep:   

Communications are pretty much the same in all modern sci-fi, viewscreen, hologram and/or comms system in suit.  What's quite clever about Expanse is they actually have a delay between signal being sent and received, most sci-fi doesn't even consider how long signals take to travel over vast distances.

Even that shit Clooney flick Midnight Sky had people talking in real time. :soap: Wankers. lol  

Edited by Saddam

Guest Rex Mundi
19 minutes ago, Saddam said:

What's quite clever about Expanse is they actually have a delay between signal being sent and received, most sci-fi doesn't even consider how long signals take to travel over vast distances.

I like this... I am a retired telecomms engineer.

So... not star trek then lol

19 minutes ago, Saddam said:

You don't need a TV license to watch on-demand services. :yep:   

lol honestly, I am ignorant of what 'on-demand' means.... and I still am baffled, I thought you needed a TV licence for ANY TV broadcast, so I assume you mean that is online, not broadcast....

Ignorance question here, do you need a TV license for satellite TV ?

edit:

you see, I really am ignorant...

I just searched for 'on-demand services' ad got the following:

Access On Demand

Press Menu on your remote control.

Navigate to TV Shows, Movies or Video Store using the arrow buttons on your remote, and then press OK/Select.

If your remote control has an On Demand button, you can press it once to access TV Shows, twice to access Movies or three times to access the Video Store.

You see, for me it falls down on Press Menu on your remote control.

I don't have a remote control.

Edited by Rex Mundi

Just now, Rex Mundi said:

So... not star trek then lol

Everything's a little Star Trek, they have communicators in Expanse but they look more like smart phones. Incidentally, I have a Star Trek communicator which connects to my phone via Bluetooth, and my phone has the original TOS communicator chirp as the ringtone. :geek:   It's pretty funny just because of the way some people look at you. 

2 minutes ago, Rex Mundi said:

honestly, I am ignorant of what 'on-demand' means.... and I still am baffled, I thought you needed a TV licence for ANY TV broadcast, so I assume you mean that is online, not broadcast....

Ignorance question here, do you need a TV licence for satellite TV ?

You only require a TV licence if you watch LIVE TV or LIVE Broadcasts, so if you watch live sports, news, or tv shows like countdown, I'm a celebrity, eastenders or coronation st. as soon as they're broadcast,  you need a licence. 

If you watch those same TV shows a week (I think 24 hours is the minimum time allowed)   after they've been broadcast on say BBC, if you use a catch-up service then anything on-demand such as Netflix, Youtube, Prime, Dave is exempt from licensing.  

Even iplayer is exempt from it's own licensing terms, but seeing as you need to register to view, and you probably couldn't prove you've never watched anything live on iplayer, I've always avoided it. 

• Like 1

Guest Rex Mundi
Just now, Saddam said:

Even iplayer is exempt from it's own licensing terms, but seeing as you need to register to view, and you probably couldn't prove you've never watched anything live on iplayer, I've always avoided it. 

This I find interesting... I have registered with BBC online, but that is because I could not bear to miss ISIHAC... and to a lesser degree the News Quiz, but for me really, only ISIHAC is important lol

but seriously, even after signing on BBC for radio, if you try to access ANY TV they re-ask if you are a licence holder, live or not.

4 minutes ago, Saddam said:

It's pretty funny just because of the way some people look at you. 

Nice one lol ... but still not temptedby the technology...

honestly I do not really understand my dislike of modern comms, considering I was involved with the installation and commisioning of many digital comms national microwave links in UK, Philipinnes, Ukraine... early '90's.

Guest theokoles

Season 5 of Inside the Worlds Toughest Prisons, especially the one on Greenlands Nuuk maximum security prison, nothing secure about it though amazing rehab, probably the nicest prison in the world, compared to Paraguay and Tacumba prison, reminded me of the book Marching powder about Thomas Mcfadden. 

9 hours ago, willowisp said:

The books are very good too, amazing how faithful the TV series has been imo.

• Like 1