Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

1 hour ago, Nervous said:

The Liberator was excellent. 

Have you watched it all ? It's only just out isn't it ?

I had a quick look but I'm not at all sure about the filter thing , I wonder why they did that

• Like 2

@Degsy I've been watching it while I'm updating endless excel files so I managed to binge the lot today. 

It's interesting, I know a lot of people don't like it but it didn't bother me. It was like a less trippy scanner darkly. 

Story was good and true to history from what I've read. Probably 6 or 7/10? 

• Like 1

Also watched an episode of Aunty Donna's Bold Ol' House of Fun and I have no words. 

I want to throw my laptop out the window. 

Edited by Nervous

The Queen's Gambit was good.

Almost at the end of The Haunting of Bly Manor aswell. Liked it so far. Hope the ending is good! It's one of those that messes with your head.

3 minutes ago, BodhiGarden said:

Almost at the end of The Haunting of Bly Manor aswell. Liked it so far. Hope the ending is good! It's one of those that messes with your head.

Nice one, just looked it up, a follow-up of sorts to The Haunting of Hill House by the same people, again a loosely-based update of one of the classics, this time Henry James' superb The Turn of the Screw, another of my absolute favourite 'ghost stories'. Goes to the top of my watch next list cos I thought The Haunting of Hill House was superb (I was initially wary of it cos Shirley Jackson's original novella is possibly my favourite, a genuine masterpiece and the idea of a 'reinterpretation' filled me with trepidation, but I thought it was excellent).

• Like 1

@Boojum thanks for the extra info which I wasn't aware of. Might have to take a look at the originals sometime if they are that highly commended. Hope you enjoy. :yinyang:

• Like 1

Guest Rex Mundi
34 minutes ago, Boojum said:

Nice one, just looked it up, a follow-up of sorts to The Haunting of Hill House

And nice one to you, I'm totally ignorant of any of that, and I see it is all available on netflix, so that is lined up, thank you.:yep:

1 hour ago, BodhiGarden said:

@Boojum thanks for the extra info which I wasn't aware of. Might have to take a look at the originals sometime if they are that highly commended. Hope you enjoy. :yinyang:

The original stories are both absolute classics (I put the ' ' round ghost stories because they are both, in their own way, ambiguous, I think that's part of their greatness), two of my favourite stories. Also worth checking out are the 1963 movie adaptation of The Haunting of Hill House called The Haunting directed by Robert Wise and the 1961 movie adaptation of The Turn of the Screw called The Innocents directed by Jack Clayton, both superb, two of my favourite movie adaptations (avoid the 1999 movie called The Haunting, it's a fucking abortion, an insult to Shirley Jackson :no: ).

The Haunting of Hill House has IMHO one of the greatest opening paragraphs ever written:

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.

:notworthy:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 10:54 PM, BodhiGarden said:

The Queen's Gambit was good.

My bird mentioned this during the week. Gonna give it a try this evening, probably binge watch the lot if fuck all else on and its decent.

My dad also has said to watch, brand new world? Dunno if anyone's bothered with that. Another tv program where his read it. So can expect him to come out with the classic the book is better. Might give it a chance though. Sometimes his recommended stuff and ain't bothered, only to watch it later and enjoy it.

• Like 2

On 30/10/2020 at 8:22 PM, Saddam said:

Star Trek Discovery :soap: Not even sure why I watch this abomination of a show, probably because I'd like some Star Trek and there isn't anything else except Lower Decks, which is like watching a pack of dogs barking for 30 minutes. lol 

Reveal hidden contents

Can anyone explain why 'the burn' in STD

:lookaround: caused all star ships at warp to explode? The say all dilithium went inert so wouldn't that just cause the ships to drop out of warp? :unsure: 

Atleast theres the next season of Expanse to look foward to ;)

44 minutes ago, dill786 said:

i am watching the sopranos again  from series 1

best series ever on TV period.

Deffo one of my favourites and one of the best. Great how its about crime but you get to love the characters. Is parts of it I think everyone can see within their own family. Plus at times it's funny as fuck at times. It's one of those series where I wish I pop a pill to forget it all just to watch it again lol . I did hear they was gonna do a spin off or something as the younger days? Won't be the same or even close imo and should be left alone. Just release the spin off as a whole new series. James Gandolfini was a great actor and really played the part well. 

• Like 1

Guest dill786
5 minutes ago, stummer said:

Deffo one of my favourites and one of the best. Great how its about crime but you get to love the characters. Is parts of it I think everyone can see within their own family. Plus at times it's funny as fuck at times. It's one of those series where I wish I pop a pill to forget it all just to watch it again lol . I did hear they was gonna do a spin off or something as the younger days? Won't be the same or even close imo and should be left alone. Just release the spin off as a whole new series. James Gandolfini was a great actor and really played the part well. 

some great one-liners too.....

my fave was  "Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this.”

one of my fave episodes was when the boys found out uncle junior was a muff diver....

34 minutes ago, dill786 said:

some great one-liners too.....

my fave was  "Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this.”

one of my fave episodes was when the boys found out uncle junior was a muff diver....

One of the funniest for me was Vito being found out to be gay. Funny how it all came out and their reactions. Chris acting like he always knew but didn't want to say anything lol always get a mate like that. Then all trying to act macho and talk about killing him to prove how ungay they are. Ahh you make me wanna watch it again now lol