Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

Madmen is good.just finished watching season 8 of mythbusters but I love all that nonsense, miss scrapheap challenge lol

@@ratdog I've just finished watching the latest season of Justified and I actually thought it was OK. Not nearly as good as the first few seasons, but IMHO better than last season. I know you didn't get into the first episode but maybe give it another go.

• Like 1

Started watching episode 1 of The Following. Gave up half way through. Troubled former FBI analyst/profiler (in this instance an alcoholic), charismatic, manipulative serial killer... So far so clichéd. Serial killer 'drama' by numbers :yawn: which follows the disturbing trend in crime fiction at the moment of fetishising serial killers, making them appear interesting. In reality they aren't remotely interesting, they are pathetic (that's kinda the point about psychopaths, they are empty attempts at human beings, they lack the most fundamental thing that makes us people - empathy). Don't think I'll bother with any more of it.

E2A Crime fiction seems more and more to be straying into horror territory, but decent horror (literature far more than movies or TV) has something more. It looks deeper, touches on themes that crime fiction doesn't. I'm a huge fan of horror, but most crime fiction (no matter how horrific, and it's often very horrific, generally violence against women, a trend which I also find somewhat disturbing) just leaves me cold, often with a nasty taste in my mouth..

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Having watched (and really enjoyed) the American version of House of Cards I decided to re-watch the original BBC version. Just finished the first episode and it's every bit as good as I remember it being (perhaps even better, now that I'm a bit older and understand British politics a bit better). Francis Urquhart is a far more devious and slimy character than Frank Underwood, and Ian Richardson is utterly brilliant in his portrayal of the character. There are a lot more comments to camera than in the US version, which I think adds to the duplicitous nature of Urquhart, while at the same time kinda making the viewer more complicit in his schemes. Absolutely superb :)

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

You find The Following that bad Booj, i have it downloaded yet to watch.

Sorry, it was mostly a bit of a general rant about 'serial killer' TV shows and books. But I did only get halfway through the first episode, cos it was just generic 'serial killer' telly. Kevin Bacon as an ex 'profiler' who has problems (he's an alcoholic) brought back to find the escaped serial killer that he caught years before and James Purefoy (who I actually quite like as an actor) as the clever, charismatic, manipulative escaped serial killer. It's just been done so many times before it could almost be a parody. Poor writing, serial killer drama by numbers, and especially after watching True Detective I really can't be doing with that, it's just far too hackneyed.

• Like 1

Maybe give the first episode a watch, see if it's your cuppa tea. I'm hardly a good judge of telly cos I'm mostly very drunk lol

i did post a thread about it but here it is again

Turn - amc - Follows New York farmer, Abe Woodhull, who bands together with a group of childhood friends to form The Culper Ring, an unlikely group of spies who turn the tide in America's fight for independence.

im enjoying it so far

Just watched episode 2 of Black Sails and I have to say I'm still not impressed.

Game of Thrones started pretty slowly too, I thought Black Sails got better as it went on as I became more accustomed to the characters. :pugwash: Expect season 2 will be much more action packed. :yep:

:yinyang:

Edited by Saddam

Dunno man, I was hooked by Game of Thrones from the first episode.

Black Sails just isn't doing it for me. It's not bad, it just isn't captivating me.Toby Stephens just isn't convincing as a pirate captain, the bloke who plays the young John Silver is far too much of a pretty boy, the lesbian stuff with Eleanor Guthrie is contrived (written to appeal to the young male market, I suspect). It's just not very well written and the casting isn't very good.

• Like 3

Dunno man, I was hooked by Game of Thrones from the first episode.

Black Sails just isn't doing it for me. It's not bad, it just isn't captivating me.Toby Stephens just isn't convincing as a pirate captain, the bloke who plays the young John Silver is far too much of a pretty boy, the lesbian stuff with Eleanor Guthrie is contrived (written to appeal to the young male market, I suspect). It's just not very well written and the casting isn't very good.

Are you sure the nude scene with the delicious Daenerys Targaryen in episode one didn't have anything to do with you being hooked? :wassnnme:

I agree about the cast of Black Sails though but tbf think the budget's pretty poor.

:yinyang: