Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

The real legacy of BB is that it was the first streaming hit. It started out on an obscure cable channel, but achieved cult status through (largely unofficial) streaming. It galvanised the likes of Netflicks to get their act together and ushered in the era of "TV is the new cinema". The producers couldn't believe their luck and milked it for all it was worth.

Better Call Saul is very much a product of this new milieu; it was better funded from the start, and as a prequel it does have a defined destination, although if they keep it going for much longer they'll have to go into real time.

28 minutes ago, Tony K said:

Don't worry, nothing happened...

True, but to his credit, Bob Odenkirk can make nothing happening very entertaining.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Simple Jack said:

Bob Odenkirk can make nothing happening very entertaining

He's a decent actor but the whole thing is a bore.

It had a lot of potential - if it had been fast-moving and mainly about his latter day legal practice, bending the rules, getting clients out of situations in imaginative ways etc, then it could have been an all-time great series.

As it is, there has been virtually none of that. It's been a long, slow, drawn-out, glorified soap opera centring around his barely-believable brother and his electricity phobia. Who cares?

I'm not a big fan of Breaking Bad either, though I watched the lot. In the first series, when Walter White was using his 'science' to outsmart people and get out of situations, (coupled with unpredictable psycho Tuco), it was good, but it quickly went off the boil for me. And all that plane crash stuff - what a farce. Fonzie jumping the shark was more credible.

Saul Goodman was the only highlight of BB, but they changed tack with BCS, over-thought it and tried to be high-brow and meaningful. In doing so, they lost just about everything of value.

People go on about vague notions like 'character development' or cinematography but to me that's like someone raving about Beatles albums because they like the cover or some of the production techniques.

I'll torrent the final season but I can't say I'm relishing it. If BB hadn't existed and BCS was a stand-alone show, I wouldn't have got past the first two episodes.

This is a serious question and I'm not having a go at you here @Tony K , what have you watched recently that you prefer to Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul ?

• Like 1

Two things my lad and me have really enjoyed lately ish have been Weeds on Netflix and Last Man on Earth on Amazon.

3 hours ago, Degsy said:

This is a serious question and I'm not having a go at you here @Tony K , what have you watched recently that you prefer to Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul ?

Ha ha, no worries mate, you can say what you like, I wouldn't pick a fight with Bruce Lee.

To be honest, I'm not a big telly man, so I find most things disappointing. I'm more of a music nut.

But last year I decided to plough through a lot of highly regarded shows. I thought The Sopranos was a lot better than BB/BCS. It is still a bit soap-operaish (all that stuff with his mother and the vicar and all that type of thing) but I largely enjoyed it. Don't think I could watch it again and I think it could be improved, but it was OK.

I watched a series of Deadwood and I liked that. It was faster moving, a bit more exciting and the fluff and pretentiousness was minimal. I'm ratioining the other two seasons - to be watched on special ocassions.

The Wire is one which everyone rates highly so I'll have a go at that some time.

I re-watched The Thick of It over Xmas and that was good. But that's a comedy.

Strange as it sounds, The Beverly Hillbillies is what I'm watching now. I have it on at tea time and it's surprisingly good. It's funny and that is why I watch it. If I'm required to get analytical, the scripts are well-paced, tight, the jokes are well-crafted and it is well acted.

But as I say, I'm no TV expert. I just poke my nose into this part oif the forum now and again to see if there is anything of interest.

But BB isn't worthy of the reputation in my view, and BCS is just a drag.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tony K said:

Ha ha, no worries mate, you can say what you like, I wouldn't pick a fight with Bruce Lee.

To be honest, I'm not a big telly man, so I find most things disappointing. I'm more of a music nut.

But last year I decided to plough through a lot of highly regarded shows. I thought The Sopranos was a lot better than BB/BCS. It is still a bit soap-operaish (all that stuff with his mother and the vicar and all that type of thing) but I largely enjoyed it. Don't think I could watch it again and I think it could be improved, but it was OK.

I watched a series of Deadwood and I liked that. It was faster moving, a bit more exciting and the fluff and pretentiousness was minimal. I'm ratioining the other two seasons - to be watched on special ocassions.

The Wire is one which everyone rates highly so I'll have a go at that some time.

I re-watched The Thick of It over Xmas and that was good. But that's a comedy.

Strange as it sounds, The Beverly Hillbillies is what I'm watching now. I have it on at tea time and it's surprisingly good. It's funny and that is why I watch it. If I'm required to get analytical, the scripts are well-paced, tight, the jokes are well-crafted and it is well acted.

But as I say, I'm no TV expert. I just poke my nose into this part oif the forum now and again to see if there is anything of interest.

But BB isn't worthy of the reputation in my view, and BCS is just a drag.

The wire is a great watch tbf in my top 5 of:

1• etrugrul

2• the wire

3• walking dead

4• game of thrones  ( except season 8  :wallbash:)

5• ozark

3 hours ago, Tony K said:

I watched a series of Deadwood and I liked that. It was faster moving, a bit more exciting and the fluff and pretentiousness was minimal.

COCKSUCKER   lol

There's a lot of DEADWOOD fans on the site & saying Cocksucker isnt personal  lol

Edited by Joint hogger
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, Tony K said:

The Wire and Deadwood are 2 of my favourites of all time . For a long time I thought The Wire was the best ever , I'd maybe have to watch it again now though because

it's a least 10 years since I've seen any of it.

The Sopranos is something I never really got into , I did watch quite a lot and thought it was OK but I never felt it was as good as most people were saying.

If you've never seen The Shield I'd say that's definitely worth watching.

• Like 4

I re-watched The Wire in its entirety again last year and it's still up there as one of my favourite TV dramas ever, it's stood the test of time :) Deadwood too (disappointing ending to the original series because it was cancelled notwithstanding, the eventual feature length finale kinda made up for it by at least giving some closure and even with the disappointment of the not properly finished season it's still probably my favourite ever TV show in terms of the dialogue, never has profanity been more lyrical :) ).

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 6

Guest dill786
On 29/01/2020 at 11:09 PM, hilbilly hifi said:

You're 20 episodes ahead of me at that, I'm on a break from smoking at the moment and I thought that might reduce my Ertugrul time as I do love a big spliff in front of the telly but nah I'm obviously a lot more addicted to the Turkmen tales than the ganja. I would agree with you that the line between reality and 12th century life is becoming increasingly blurred dunno if it's a good or bad thing but it's a lot more messy since I took to eating all meals with a wooden spoon, thankfully there's no end in sight cause it's going to be some hollowed out feeling of emptiness when it's over! What's your usual episode count per day? I reckon there's not many days I wouldn't get through 3 or 4.

i am on season 3 episode 87,  how about you bey?

I haven't got much farther than last time we compared, my internet and tv got disconnected from each other and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them back in tandem, anytime someone is over who'd know how to do these things I've forgotten about it. A break from it hasn't been the end of the world really as I'm not smoking much at the moment anyway, I'll have no guilty conscience when I re-up the jars and revert to slug mode in front of Ertugrul when it's all sorted on the plus side. You're after slowing down a bit too Dil Bey? 

@dill786

Edited by hilbilly hifi
add a tag

Guest dill786

^ yes bey

I've slowed it down a bit was moving to fast for the missus...   she was moaning that she's been left behind so i slowed it down so she could catch up, only watched around 2 episodes in the last few weeks.......

lots of people have moved on to kurlus osman  after watching ertugrul , and some people are watching it all over again.

still love it though, the horses, clothes, swords, landscapes, storyline the LOT

oh yeah gues who??

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gülsim+Ali&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB867GB867&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMws6h6oHoAhXySRUIHU3YB8YQ_AUoAXoECBQQAw&biw=1319&bih=615

55 minutes ago, dill786 said:

^ yes bey

I've slowed it down a bit was moving to fast for the missus...   she was moaning that she's been left behind so i slowed it down so she could catch up, only watched around 2 episodes in the last few weeks.......

lots of people have moved on to kurlus osman  after watching ertugrul , and some people are watching it all over again.

still love it though, the horses, clothes, swords, landscapes, storyline the LOT

oh yeah gues who??

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gülsim+Ali&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB867GB867&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMws6h6oHoAhXySRUIHU3YB8YQ_AUoAXoECBQQAw&biw=1319&bih=615

I dunno if I'd have the stamina to watch it all over again but I definitely intend to see it through to the end, I caught a glimpse of the Kurlus Osman one it was in my recommended on netflix before the great collapse looks decent too be rude not to check it out when I finish Dirilis. I was chatting to the Turk barber about it few weeks ago he was surprisingly excited when i said i be watching it recommended another Turkish show but I can't remember the name off the top of my head now.

Ah yes the lovely Aslihan Hatun :)

Just rewatched all of "Line of Duty". Great stuff.

We are now trying to decypher "Inside number 9" again lol

Cheers :smokin:

Edited by Hiphip
  • Like 3