Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

6 minutes ago, sam-i-am said:

Just finished the Russian Sci fi series "Better than Us" on Netflix. Rather enjoyed once I'd got over the dubbing reminding me of watching "Heidi" as a kid. 

Will check it out...i love a sci fi! 

Same happened to me with dark, couldn't stand the dubbing first watch so never got passed episode 1..tried again recently, got over it after a few episodes and now loving the series!

Also Carnival Row has dropped on Amazon prime, fantasy murder mystery, sounds Ineresting, gonna give it a go!

• Like 3

Love sci fi so may give em a go, I just hate dubbed TV/movies. Some folks can't be doing with subtitles but I'm the exact opposite, I really don't like dubbed stuff, I'd rather hear the original actors (cos even if you don't understand the words they're still conveying emotion and stuff, that's part of acting and you kinda miss that when it's dubbed, even if it's done well you're kinda missing part of the original actors' perfromance) and read subtitles.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, OLaC said:

Will check it out...i love a sci fi! 

Same happened to me with dark, couldn't stand the dubbing first watch so never got passed episode 1..tried again recently, got over it after a few episodes and now loving the series!

Also Carnival Row has dropped on Amazon prime, fantasy murder mystery, sounds Ineresting, gonna give it a go!

Really enjoyed "Dark". May well have to watch first 2 series again when the third one drops, that plot is a proper mind fuck to keep up with. 

• Like 2

just watched all of carnival row amazing,but underneath i think it is trying to tell us something else lol

try and work it out

eta it may just be me with this weed im smoking but .....

Edited by monster69

Beforeigners  - people from three different periods in the past have been materialising in the sea, in great numbers. A middle aged cop with issues is teamed up with a Viking woman, sorry, person of Norse origin. It is Norwegian. Every bit a cheesy as it sounds, but I like it.

Watched Mindhunter and enjoyed it (well, enjoyed is possibly the wrong word given the subject matter, but found it compelling). Currently re-watching Justified cos I really enjoyed it and was kinda in the mood ( lol and one of the bonuses of watching summat drunk the first time is that you forget most of it so can re-watch it without it being overfamiliar lol ), enjoying it again second time round, I think it really captures the flavour of Elmore Leonard's writing (the pilot was based on one of his short stories and he was a producer on the show), particularly the dialogue (IMHO Elmore Leonard wrote dialoge better than anyone else - 'the poet laureate of wild assholes with revolvers' :notworthy: ).

Edited by Boojum

On 31/08/2019 at 5:12 PM, ratdog said:

Watched the Boys, good idea but starts to go to shit on the fourth episode and never recovers.

It's quite different from the source comic like but fuck it I still watched it lol

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, McHazy said:

Gone back to preacher I gave up with it about halfway through season 2 giving it another try

If you haven't already give Garth Ennis' original comics a look, one of my favourite comic series and much, much better than the TV adaptation (which I wasn't keen on, I gave up on it - in particular I thought Jesse was badly miscast).

E2A Noticed The Boys mentioned, another Garth Ennis comic that I enjoyed and that was much better than the TV adaptation, I gave up on that one too.

And don't even get me started on Constantine (I know Garth Ennis didn't create John Constantine, but his run on Hellblazer was IMHO when it was at its best, the TV show was bad and the movie with Canoe Reeves was a fucking abortion).

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, McHazy said:

@Boojum aye read and loved both Ennis is one of my favourite comic writers his punisher runs are well worth reading too

Aye, for me there's the 'big three' comic writers and then there's everyone else - Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and Garth Ennis, three of my favourite writers (not just favourite comic writers, but writers as a whole) :notworthy:

• Like 2

Aye (sorry, last off topic post) Pratchett and Rankin are in my favourites writers (in any category/genre) too, and Iain Banks (with or without the M). All folks who don't/didn't just understand writing, they understand story and I think that's a different thing. Telling tales is older than writing, and telling good tales well is about more than just nice writing.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 6