Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

Just watched the first episode of Preacher.

Well, that's not quite true. Watched about half an hour of the first episode of Preacher then just gave up and turned it off.

Have the people involved actually read Preacher ?

:nea:

What a complete and utter load of shit. If you're going to make a TV adaptation of one of the greatest comics of all time (I'd put it third after Alan Moore's Promethea and Neil Gaiman's Sandman) then at least try to stick to the story, and don't just make shit up in the first fucking episode :headpain:I mean for fuck's sake. Let's take someone's idea and just do what we want with it. Utter load of fucking shite. 

Grrrr, really annoyed. If you want to make a TV version of Preacher, then make a TV version of Preacher - adapt the actual thing. Don't just take the idea and then write whatever crap you want. Either make a TV version of the original - faithful to the original - or don't fucking bother.

• Like 3

As a kinda follow on from my previous post, just watched episode 1 of American Gods.

Much more like it.

A few bits I could take issue with but all in all not bad.

Edited to remove potential spoiler.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:39 AM, Boojum said:

Well, that's not quite true. Watched about half an hour of the first episode of Preacher then just gave up and turned it off.

What a complete and utter load of shit. If you're going to make a TV adaptation of one of the greatest comics of all time (I'd put it third after Alan Moore's Promethea and Neil Gaiman's Sandman) then at least try to stick to the story, and don't just make shit up in the first fucking episode :headpain:I mean for fuck's sake. Let's take someone's idea and just do what we want with it. Utter load of fucking shite. 

Grrrr, really annoyed. If you want to make a TV version of Preacher, then make a TV version of Preacher - adapt the actual thing. Don't just take the idea and then write whatever crap you want. Either make a TV version of the original - faithful to the original - or don't fucking bother.

i thought preacher was excellent, haven't read the book though. The very last episode leaves it wide open to go absolutely anywhere. I'm looking forward to season 2. After the ending of series 1 there's no way season 2 can be anything like season 1.

American Gods is on my to watch list also. Just as soon as I work my way through the 20 (ish) blu-rays I got for my 40th birthday.

Black sails though. Ive said it time and time again on these forums. It the best thing on tv. It's a shame its finished now but a spin off is being talked about.

• Like 1

anyone let me twin peaks? My Dada recorded and going on that I should watch it. Sometimes he is right and picks something wicked other times its terrible, very rarely in the middle.

Don't know if anyone here likes dragons den, or sharks tank? The apprentice I don't mind but people's egos and sometimes stupidity when they think their the bollocks does my nut in a bit. Anyway if you like any of the above highly recommend a show called the profit. Failing businesses have a bloke come in and invest his own money and turn them around. Interesting to watch just to see how he does it and sometimes makes you feel you could do other stuff or even better. It's on CNN on Fridays if I remember right around 7, also a few episodes on YouTube.

snatch is ok .its on showbox season 1 ,10 eps so far,

will keep you going for couple of days.based on the film snatch

Edited by jok3r
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, stummer said:

anyone let me twin peaks? My Dada recorded and going on that I should watch it. Sometimes he is right and picks something wicked other times its terrible, very rarely in the middle.

Don't know if anyone here likes dragons den, or sharks tank? The apprentice I don't mind but people's egos and sometimes stupidity when they think their the bollocks does my nut in a bit. Anyway if you like any of the above highly recommend a show called the profit. Failing businesses have a bloke come in and invest his own money and turn them around. Interesting to watch just to see how he does it and sometimes makes you feel you could do other stuff or even better. It's on CNN on Fridays if I remember right around 7, also a few episodes on YouTube.

Do you have any experience of watching David Lynch directed films?  Do you spend much time looking at art, for arts sake?  It's a bit like Art Brut, or art created by people with some kind of problems, maybe psychiatric problems, or those outcast from society.  If you like Art Brut you probably going to have some affinity for Lynch and Twin Peaks.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?newwindow=1&biw=1236&bih=821&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Art+Brut+-band&oq=Art+Brut+-band&gs_l=img.3...9448.11293.0.12316.6.6.0.0.0.0.72.378.6.6.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.2.139...0j0i30k1.E-KZLGrpX2w

Watch them in this order: Season 1, Season 2, Fire Walk With Me (film), Season 3 (only 4 episodes up to now, many more on the way)

It's art, so don't skimp on the quality of download, get the very best and use a hifi too.

I think it's right up there as a masterpiece. 

Don't expect to understand lol

Edited by worzel

I really enjoyed Preacher, haven`t read the comic, but it was excellent imo.

I watched Watchmen the other day after reading the comic and found that disappointing so can understand peoples opinions.

Watched 3 eps of American gods, found the third ep flagging already, hope 4 picks up.

On 20/05/2017 at 10:47 AM, Shogun said:

i thought preacher was excellent, haven't read the book though. The very last episode leaves it wide open to go absolutely anywhere. I'm looking forward to season 2. After the ending of series 1 there's no way season 2 can be anything like season 1.

I guess my problem with it is because I've read the graphic novel series (and it's one of my all-time favourites, coming a close third after Alan Moore's Promethea and Neil Gaiman's Sandman), so I can't help but judge it against the original. If I was watching it fresh, knowing nothing about the comics, I'd probably have enjoyed it, but I just can't stop that little voice in my head shouting "No, that's wrong, he's badly miscast, that's not in the comic..." :doh:

• Like 2

As an addition to my previous post (after a few ciders lol ), I'd perhaps suggest watching the series then reading the graphic novels. I know comics aren't to everyone's taste (some people still think they are 'for kids'...) but the very best of them are among my favourite literary works. And I do consider them to be literature. And The Preacher is just a belting good series, a great story brilliantly told, violent, profane (but with a real moral core), often utterly hilarious and sometimes very serious. Just a hugely enjoyable story that so many people will never read because it's a 'comic' :sadwalk:

Sorry, had a few ciders :rolleyes:

This evening is gonna go badly, 6 pints of cider in already (the England ODI then the cup final), and already talking shit about comics :doh:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

Gave Preacher a chance  but only lasted about 20 minutes. Getting into American Gods tho, Lovejoy is excellent in it. Dont know anything about the books but some interesting set ups so far.

TWIN PEAKS - totally awesome and sucked straight back in. This shows you why Lynchian is a word. Maybe body swerve Fire Walk With Me but watch the early seasons or dont, you will maybe miss a few of the 'in-jokes' but it stands up on its own. Lynch has a kitchen filled with every tv cliche and set-up ever written and then he gives them his own twist and packs them together. Lynchs cameo on its own is simply hilarious and the inter-dimensional nature of their reality thread has me hooked.

Quick mention for season 3 of 12 Monkeys....keeps getting better but they should maybe wrap it up this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished with season 1 of American Gods. I'd give the first episode a 9/10. The whole series (8 episodes) gets a 3/10.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:39 AM, Boojum said:

they did that shit with Judge Dredd back in the 80's too 'I know, let's have him take his helmet off.' etc

Edited by Elvis Reg

Has anyone seen El Chapo yet ? 

This time its a Mexican Drug Lord who's getting the Netflix treatment  :yep:

• Like 3