Fan Controller

Bond

I fear the only fix would be a different fan controller and I'm not sure how you could check except by putting the load on it and seeing if it buzzed... down to their engineering and I'd be hesitant to dismantle it and start filling gaps with epoxy

However if you have a few spare fan controllers to risk breaking that'd be the solution! find the capacitor/transformer/solenoid that's buzzing and stop them from vibrating.... but I've not looked inside mine to see - i can't hear the dimmer buzzing from outside the 'grobe.

edit> S&G,

Edited by insurgent

seems to make loud buzzing sound come from my Ruck fan but when the fan kicks in full speed from the thermo there is no buzzing. Any suggestions on how to fix this

turn the speed controller up a bit

Is there any chance that this could be modified to add a 60W tubular heater to the mix, or would that be best kept on it's own thermostat?

• 2 weeks later...

this is definetly going to be a feature of my next gr so thanks to Raz and nigfis for the info. what i wanted to know was did you do much tinkering with the speed to achieve the best operation where the fan is not cutting in and out(high/lower speed) too frequently?

best wishes

3ff

Hi Felon,

Not much fiddling at all really. The volume of space being heated will be the driving factor in how often it all turns on and off. The smaller the space, the quicker it will heat up; and the reverse being true with a bigger volume.

With my setup It’s quite easy to find a balance at lights-off, between temperature and humidity. It the weather gets very humid I simply turn up the idle speed a little to increase air-flow and although the minimum temps drop a degree or two it gives me great control of the environment. (A bigger heater would probably negate the temp drop, but it suffices.)

It’s an extremely useful tool that I’ve found to be of great benefit.

felons got a fan controller :thumsup:

thanks for the photos RAZ and Nigfis cos i wouldn't of had a clue how to wire it. works a treat lol

kind regards

3ff

I also built one of these thermostatic fan controllers using the honeywell thermo and the B&Q fan dimmer. There is one problem though, using the B&Q dimmer seems to make loud buzzing sound come from my Ruck fan but when the fan kicks in full speed from the thermo there is no buzzing. Any suggestions on how to fix this?  :guitar:

286875[/snapback]

Hi mate,

page 5 of fazereds thread on UKC he mentions disconnecting the neutral from the thermostat and that stopped the buzzing lol

rm

Hi mate,

page 5 of fazereds thread on UKC he mentions disconnecting the neutral from the thermostat and that stopped the buzzing ;)

rm

298789[/snapback]

Thanks Rizlaman. I dont want to sound like a dumbass here but would the neutral be the blue wire in this pic? :headpain:

post-5743-1107178239.jpg

Hi,

without looking through the thread in case you put pics up, then assuming you followed the diags then blue should be neutral

To be honest I have not done it, as I can live with it, although I wish a proper spark would take a look and let us know...

rm

hi all

can some1 check my connections please b4 i plug in and potentially electrocute myself :wasanme:

my junction box is as follows;

con1=live(brown) =dimmer, plug, thermostat

con2=neutral(blue)= fan, plug (*thermostat has had neutral removed to stop potential buzzing)

con3=earth(green/yellow)= fan, plug, thermostat

*here's where i'm confused/concerned*

con4=live and neutral -live(brown) from fan & neutral(blue) from dimmer

is this correct/ok??

...con 4 not being colour coded and having the live and neutral in the same con???

sorry i cant post a pic(no usb for cam)

hopefully u can make sense of above and understand my concern

appreciate any response/advice

atb

hi all

can some1 check my connections please b4 i plug in and potentially electrocute myself :wasanme:

my junction box is as follows;

con1=live(brown) =dimmer, plug, thermostat

con2=neutral(blue)= fan, plug (*thermostat has had neutral removed to stop potential buzzing)

con3=earth(green/yellow)= fan, plug, thermostat

*here's where i'm confused/concerned*

con4=live and neutral -live(brown) from fan & neutral(blue) from dimmer

is this correct/ok??

...con 4 not being colour coded and having the live and neutral in the same con???

sorry i cant post a pic(no usb for cam)

hopefully u can make sense of above and understand my concern

appreciate any response/advice

atb

302146[/snapback]

Hi Tha Fiend, I built one of these myself and found it to be easiest if I labelled the junction box and schematic (see attached). It looks like you have a connection missing from the thermostat L-out.

Hope this helps.

T.

post-7113-1107866793.jpg

I bought a "special" fan speed controller, took it apart and it is a light dimmer module.

The honeywell roomstat can be wired for heating or cooling.

I have wired one to run the fan through a speed controller at low speed when the temp drops when it rises the switch changes and supplies full power to the fan 4 core wire makes wiring easy as you use the same earth and neutral connect both live wires to fan live terminal and put speed controller in the middle of one of the live wires.

The roomstat has diagrams for wiring included also honeywell website has downloadable instructions