*~More Free Seeds~*

Joolz

Tony at boneyard 3d prints and sells a little seed cracker for stubborn seeds. Great bit of kit for extracting embryos.

Edited by NezA
  • Like 5

Just now, 4kali said:

wheres the embryo

The middle seed. I didn't even break the sack around it with these sausage stumps :smokin: @4kali

Edited by brock1
  • Like 2

must be a knack to it , perhaps i would be better with a nut cracker as nezza mentions.

get that journal going on tissue culture and the use of colchicine mate, would be really interesting and educational

atb 4k

• Like 8

@brock1 I'm always dubious about forcing the shell off these things and have read online about it, how do you crack the shell without crushing the embryo, I've had a go a couple of time when the tap root has come out but not progressed and just ended turning everything in to mush lol must help to have some nails :rolleyes:

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Exhale said:

@brock1 I'm always dubious about forcing the shell off these things and have read online about it, how do you crack the shell without crushing the embryo, I've had a go a couple of time when the tap root has come out but not progressed and just ended turning everything in to mush lol must help to have some nails :rolleyes:

You need to make sure the hilum (part were the seeds attached to the plant) is not pointing towards your finger tip. Put a little presure on the point were the 2 husks join and pull your finger and thumb inwards using light presure. Once you feel a pot flip half the husk off. Use your other hand to do this. You have 2 for a reason as my old mother used to say. Its easier to do this part with a toothpick or knife. That's it all done 1 embryo extraction :doctor: Ofter you will find the embryo will stick in 1 half the seed but thats fine leave it in that half of the husk. The embryo membrane can hydrate easily with no sticking which is 1 of the reasons a lot of seeds don't germinate. It take about 5 seconds to to each seed once you get used to doing it. :smokin:

Edited by brock1
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, brock1 said:

You need to make sure the hilum (part were the seeds attached to the plant) is not pointing towards your finger tip. Put a little presure on the point were the 2 husks join and pull your finger and thumb inwards using light presure. Once you feel a pot flip half the husk off. Use your other hand to do this. You have 2 for a reason as my old mother used to say. Its easier to do this part with a toothpick or knife. That's it all done 1 embryo extraction :doctor: Ofter you will find the embryo will stick in 1 half the seed but thats fine leave it in that half of the husk. The embryo membrane can hydrate easily with no sticking which is 1 of the reasons a lot of seeds don't germinate. It take about 5 seconds to to each seed once you get used to doing it. :smokin:

This just shows that you are never old enough to learn new sh*t! You must be in the wrong business mate, with those surgical robot fingers haha :cowboy:

How many times you didn't succeed when applying this technique? :unsure:

I have never seen somebody doing this before. Do you notice any difference with germination (speed/ratio's etc) when doing this?

It seems so fragile when the seedling is laying half open on the table.

• Like 9

Just now, Antonio_DutchPassion said:

This just shows that you are never old enough to learn new sh*t! You must be in the wrong business mate, with those surgical robot fingers haha :cowboy:

How many times you didn't succeed when applying this technique? :unsure:

I have never seen somebody doing this before. Do you notice any difference with germination (speed/ratio's etc) when doing this?

It seems so fragile when the seedling is laying half open on the table.

This technique works without damaging the seed pretty much everytime. I think I did probably crush a few at first but honestly can't remember the last time I Crushed a embryo doing this. I germinate in a pretty sterile hobby way using the microwave ect to sterilise my container and wet kitchen roll, ect. They do tend to germinate a little quicker to. I just started s thread in the breeding section I will explain it in more detail their soon.

• Like 3

@Military Grade I’ve got 4 stood up, 1 hasn’t split yet. Soaked in water for 12 hrs then into light mix. They were planted on the 3rd and only came up a couple of days ago, I’ve left the other one in as it’s not mushy yet, just hard I think. 

• Like 2

Just now, HazyDaze said:

I've never had a conjoined seed before, lool forward to seeing if it  germs...

The devils jizz works in mysterious ways, the juju looks strong in that one…. be careful man !

• Like 9