Freedom Of Speech And Hitler

Guest Logik

Poll  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Logik

A Philosophical debate,

Under your values and beliefs of Freedom of Speech, Would hitler still have freedom of speech before his campaign of murder. Would he still have freedom of speech after his campaign of Murder.

To what extent do you believe people should be given freedom of speech?

Should Freedom Of Speech ever be taken away from somebody?

Freedom of speech...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!!

Of course the second biggest killer of the second world war should have had the right to freedom of speech. Just because you may/or may not find his ideals reprehensible does not mean that he was not right to have them. Everyone and anyone deserves the right to Freedom of speech (and thought too, but that is another debate).

its also good for people like that to be able to talk freely as then you can easily tell they are nuts and give em a wide berth!

Freedom of speech should be unconditional, censorship should not exist anywhere, but that's not to say that a prosecution may arise (and should) for an incitement to murder for example. A good example of one of the paradoxes of liberalism was the opposition from left-wing groups to the appearance of Nick Griffin on Question Time: I recall one spokeswoman saying "we do not support freedom of speech for fascists" echoing a quote attributed to an Italian anarchist which goes: "the fascists of the future will be the anti-fascists," and it's very true.

Edited by AngryAfghan

a question about unbridled freedom of speech ..does this mean I can verbally abuse and threaten people in the street?

I'd defend your right to speak freely, however that doesn't mean I have to agree with what you say.

Freedom of speech is one thing, freedom to incite violence is another thing entirely. From the very start of his rise to power, Hitler's rhetoric in the Munich bierkellers was as much about inciting violence as speaking freely. Say what you want, but if you incite others to perform acts of violence you are complicit in those acts and should be treated as such.

what Boojum said.. I believe in freedom of speech, but inciting murder & violence crosses a line.. Also I'm not a liberal, and in contradiction have supported the No Platform for BNP/NF at university (and would do so again if an organisation I was involved in raised the question). I think they should be free to talk, but I won't do anything to help them to reach an audience, and will actively oppose them and try to stop them from doing so as and when I can. That said, alot of the time they just make themselves look like the hate filled racists that they (mostly) are so it doesn't concern me too much, as long as there is clear opposition to them.