Any Drum And Bass Lovers Out There

Guest oldskoolsmoker

Trouble is folks still want to mix but there is no money in producing underground music any more, not where vinyl is concerned. 

So most of the newer producers are sticking to digital media for DnB, quite a few of the tunes I have found that I would love to own on vinyl you cant get at all because it has never been put on vinyl. Plus even if you do go for vinyl it will be on Youtube for free download within a week of release so you earn all but fuck all from it.

Its only the mighty few with they're own labels that still bother sadly. 

And I don't care how good the tech gets mixing digital will NEVER beat mixing on turntables. So I just listen now and hung up my decks a few years back. This is part of the reason I started with Dubstep as its still heavy bass but good for listening too.

• Like 3

Just now, GreenVision said:

because it has never been put on vinyl.

It's ALL on vinyl if you have Traktor or Serato. :yep:   And play wav files not :soap:  mp3.   :smug:  

• Like 2

Just now, Saddam said:

It's ALL on vinyl if you have Traktor or Serato. :yep:   And play wav files not :soap:  mp3.   :smug:  

I do use it for fun, but its just not the same as using your finger tips on a vinyl.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

Trouble is folks still want to mix but there is no money in producing underground music any more, not where vinyl is concerned. 

So most of the newer producers are sticking to digital media for DnB, quite a few of the tunes I have found that I would love to own on vinyl you cant get at all because it has never been put on vinyl. Plus even if you do go for vinyl it will be on Youtube for free download within a week of release so you earn all but fuck all from it.

Its only the mighty few with they're own labels that still bother sadly. 

And I don't care how good the tech gets mixing digital will NEVER beat mixing on turntables. So I just listen now and hung up my decks a few years back. This is part of the reason I started with Dubstep as its still heavy bass but good for listening too.

I still mix DnB and play out on vinyl only... Some labels are doing pretty well out of it who are focused on cutting vinyl for the DJ's: Dispatch Recordings, Symmetry Recordings, Critical, Horizons spring to mind and there releases are high in demand with the amount of vinyls they can get made, so I think it's how these smaller labels pull it off.. But your right, it is small profits and a lot of work which I guess is why a lot of the stuff doesn't make it on vinyl - it needs to make 'x' number of sales to even break even where a digital copy costs nothing once the producer sends the WAV over and it's put on commissioned websites after sales.

I do find it hard to keep up with releases financially as does is every other DJ I have spoken too, so it is understandable why vinyl isn't around as much... For me it is part of the beauty of trawling the web, markets and shops for records.. Quality of tunes, not quantity ;) This is the problem with digital DnB sets it is just double drop or switch after each other constantly with crowd pleasers. They will drop a decent tune though you want to listen play through a little and its gone after a phrase as they are just racing through tracks. 

1 hour ago, GreenVision said:

you cant get at all because it has never been put on vinyl.

You get get dubplates cut for them special one offs. Its not as much £ as you may think. If its just a random one then use timecodes.

Edited by diyleduk
  • Like 2

Just now, diyleduk said:

You get get dubplates cut for them special one offs. Its not as much £ as you may think. If its just a random one then use timecodes.

White labels / dubplates ftw ;)

Edited by InTheSystem

5 minutes ago, diyleduk said:

I know its dooable for sure mate, go back 15 years and I was actually involved in producing DnB, when Renegade Hardware were pumping out a single a week.

I still run Serum and a few others through Fruity Loops as a hobbie when I get the chance, I'll be tweaking sine waves for as long as I can read a PC screen. But most of the folks I knew that were cutting vinyl have either moved on to digital release only or gave it up all together. 

Some old pics I uploaded to UK420 years back...

med_gallery_85992_8681_50945.jpg

med_gallery_85992_8681_700262.jpg

gallery_85992_8681_695657.jpg

gallery_85992_8681_104693.jpg

The old man was Progressive and Funky house mainly when I was growing up. I moved out in about 2002 ish', my bedroom just became a joint vinyl storage. I always said if there was a fire he'd get the vinyl out before waking me up lol .

The pics really don't do it justice either we have well over 10k between us.

But I just gave it up mate. Digital didn't win, as I have said Vinyl will always be the way to mix, but I cant get as much of my types of vinyl these days to make it worth me putting the time in or making space for the Decks. 

Having 4 kids didn't help much either. I think its about 2-3k for a pair of 1210's now?.. My kids can break a claw hammer in ten mins flat.

• Like 4

That's quite the collection :yes:

Just now, GreenVision said:

Having 4 kids didn't help much either

That's what stopped me. But i've just started setting one up in the spare office. Hope the mussis does not see it lol 

From one of my faveorite DNB albums.

• Like 3

Just now, diyleduk said:

That's what stopped me. But i've just started setting one up in the spare office. Hope the mussis does not see it

I have thought about it, but I have the growing, the kids, work, I do love a little Gaming on the PC from time to time as well, I have the CRF250 I still tear up every other weekend. 

I think if I got a new set of decks they'd genuinely forget I lived here lol 

• Like 4