What Makes Humans Unique

Cosmic Dick

We aren't unique. We tell ourselves were the most and best bit of evolution and therefore special.. But this, sadly, is a patting yourself on the back exercise of a foolish ape that thinks it's shit don't stink.. :spliff:

Hubris?

CD, Spot on mate :unsure:

I've been trying to find a different way to describe hubris for different situations, this post gives me another one;

hubris, I think

my shit doesn't stink.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cosmic Dick

• ratdog

• weed_G

• Boojum

Self awareness, the ability to recognise oneself in a mirror/ reflective surface?

Chimpanzees are able to do this, less intelligent primates are not.

Religion, the belief in a higher being (obviously this is now in decline)

Edited by AngryAfghan

Simple its our belife that we are unique that makes us unique, (circular argument I know) so in essecene vanity, like PH said a while ago, the point about preening was a little off thou as preening is about self cleaning (birds cant fly with manky feathers, cats cant sneak up on things if they stink etc)nothing to do with them thinking "damn I'm fine" or "I'm so perfect that there is only one of me". Man is not the pinicle of evolution but just a stepping stone or evolutionary dead end..... the court is still out on this one.

tel me what animal can do what we do ??

No single animal can do all the things that we can, but we cant do all the things that some animals can.

Initaillay I was going to say that man can manipulate his enviroment too his own benifit.... Beavers do this by building dam's.

Our useage of tools loads of animals use tools.

Opposable thumbs other primates have these.

Our understanding of the cycle of life.... well that was blown out of the water with the grief ridden chimps this week.

Concept of passage of time maybe but some animals wait for there prey so is that an understanding of "if I wait here a meal will turn up"

Transferal of knowledge maybe but animals dont eat poisnous things so some transfere of knowldge has to be there call it instinct if you want but it is still a learend behaviour.

Farming now that is unique and it is what civilazation is based on, but that is just manipulation of enviroment

Space travel according to some we havent done this to others lizard's have done this, but this is just traveling throu a medium that we are not designed for some birds dive into the see for food so they are opperating out of there natural environment.

My point stands that man is unique because he thinks he's unique (cavat Buddist understand that we are not unique and that life is just a series of experinces each to be enjoyed for what it is but nothing has any meaning other that existance (not as stoned tonight ninoric I think this was the point I missed :unsure: ))

Edited by groovelick

the ability of abstraction.

:unsure:

Which is another way of saying imagination.

In my opinion, I haven't seen a better option than imagination yet.

CD

War and Pollution !

I saw monkeys fight for teritory ,sure we can call that some form of war? Fight for teritory aka war

Polution ,hm i dont have answer on that :unsure:

Yea fair point I,ve also seen Ants and Termites go for it.

Pollution on the other hand!

not really ,, imagination is part of abstract thinking ..but only that ...a part ..not the sum total

Edited by weed_G

Farming now that is unique and it is what civilazation is based on, but that is just manipulation of enviroment

Space travel according to some we havent done this to others lizard's have done this, but this is just traveling throu a medium that we are not designed for

According to David Attenborough, elephants perform a function close to farming when they clear large patches of acacia.

According to New Scientist, microbes/bacteria/virus can take up a crystalline structure and survive space travel.

CD

not really ,, imagination is part of abstract thinking ..but only that ...a part ..not the sum total

Okay, I'll need to cogitate on that for a while, but I think you're right.

Guest grandad

google says that bipedalism, language and the brain is what makes us unique, i think its having the ability to wipe our own arse.

i think its having the ability to wipe our own arse.

Wouldn't you like to have the ability to lick your own?

Cd

My point stands that man is unique because he thinks he's unique (cavat Buddist understand that we are not unique and that life is just a series of experinces each to be enjoyed for what it is but nothing has any meaning other that existance (not as stoned tonight ninoric I think this was the point I missed :wink: ))

lol

That's what I was going to say before I read any posts.