• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cosmic Dick

• ratdog

• weed_G

• Boojum

groovelick

QS we all upset people on here at some time or another, some do it for fun, some by accident, and others by missing the point, all you can do in that situation is offer an apology, then it is down to the other person to either accept said apology or take umbridge and spit their dummy out and excluded themselves, if your of the latter persuasion then it is yourself that is punishing you, from what I see all's well. Sorry for intruding in a resolved situation but someone needs to see a point and this is my ham fisted way and probably only way of putting it across.

Ossadagowah

Randal Graves
Opposable thumbs.,......................M

Many primates have opposable thumbs, some of the tree dwellers have opposable toes as well so they can grip branches better.. They can even use their tails to grip branches.

I wonder if it's misleading looking for any single factor that makes humans unique. Maybe the best way to think of it is that it's the whole package that makes us unique.

Breaking that down a bit we have all the suggestions offered so far.

Anatomically we're distinct - opposable thumbs and what we do with them, larger brain volume than other primates and developed vocal chords. All these anatomical distinctions are inseperable from what we do with them.

Language and what we do with it - communication is common but as Father McPot said earlier abstract symbols (ie 'letters', 'words', 'sentences' etc) seem unique to homo sapiens.

too :rofl: to finish this impromptu meander and if I carry on I'll dilute the point I was trying to make lol

Yeah, distinctness lies maybe not so much in any one quality or factor but in the whole mess of human-ness. Anatomical, functional...all working together in something like fractured harmony :yinyang:

cuppa spliff n out :unsure:

Joe Rogan reckons that we evolved faster than everything else because our ancestors were the first simians to eat mushrooms, we start having hallucinogenic experiences and these enabled us to start developing tools.

Hughie Green

Joe Rogan is a tool, It was Bill Hicks who did the routine before Joe even had his first joint.

It's a long time since I read his stuff but I'm pretty sure Terence McKenna was also keen on the idea that shrooms (or more accurately tryptamines) played an important role in human evolution and the development of consciousness.

Hughie Green

Aye but Terence was a bit too esoteric and perceived as a bit "flaky" by the mainstream, his audience seems to be the more dedicated psychonaut, Bill though put the idea in the simplest terms and made it more memorable through comedy, it also sounds more plausible in the context of his routine, I like McKenna's books but his audio presentations put me right off, the pace and delivery of his material sounded like Emo Phillips on valium, given Joes fairly recent interest in drugs I would imagine he heard it from Bill rather that Terence lol

ramblingmadman
It's a long time since I read his stuff but I'm pretty sure Terence McKenna was also keen on the idea that shrooms (or more accurately tryptamines) played an important role in human evolution and the development of consciousness.

yep

Aye but Terence was a bit too esoteric and perceived as a bit "flaky" by the mainstream, his audience seems to be the more dedicated psychonaut, his audio presentations put me right off, the pace and delivery of his material sounded like Emo Phillips on valium :yinyang:

that is one of the funniest things ive read for a long while , and so true , so very true

nice one hg

:D In the nicest and fondest possible way, I think Terence McKenna was almost certainly a mad March mongoose :) But an interesting one. Some of his stuff is SO far out there you need to be on serious drugs just to read it lol (True Hallucinations springs to mind).