1 For The Atheist's

bigangus

Quite fancy a funeral pyre, not very green tho
I can't see how atheism fits with the latest scientific or philosophical thinking

I'd be interested to know what you mean by that.

So would I :rofl:

It was something that just occured to me as I was typing the post, I was suffering from excruitaing back pain at the time and I think that led me to using the kind of logic that would call a dog walking backwards a god. I can't remember what my argument was, but it must have included forgetting the defintion of atheism for a start :unsure:

I do think the religious argument would be much stronger if it were to be married up with current scientific theory though; I was thinking about this earlier with more sound logic and the only problem with most religions is they're out of date and perverted. If the historic and the bullshit is left out the creator vs no creator debate comes down to, who created the creator? or what caused existence out of non existence? The second question (no creator) needs thinking about more, I just thought that up quick to illustrate the point that on either side you get stuck in a paradox, so if both sides used scientific reasoning it would always be a 50/50 bet.

There's loads more been going round in my head that this is just one very insignificant part of, but with mountains of coursework I'm not finding time to think about it properly at the moment, therefore I think I'll shut up before I spew more ill thought out ideas.

And on topic an open pyre still seems right to me, something about a message being sent out to the stars ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RilverSizlas

• Boojum

• ~nobody~

• Cosmic Dick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do think the religious argument would be much stronger if it were to be married up with current scientific theory though; I was thinking about this earlier with more sound logic and the only problem with most religions is they're out of date and perverted.

Todays science is the updated religion you seek.

Religion, Let There Be Light

Science, Big Bang.

Both the same fiction really.

CD

I guess that was what I was getting at, and that science has always been the religion of the day, but as we have progressed through paradigm shifts in scientific method and theory, traditional religion has struggled to adapt. Consequently many of a scientific mind may have pronounced themselves atheist without full consideration of the argument but solely due to an aversion to religious beliefs that are so entwined with the superstition of the past.

I don't think it will ever be possible to say either way, I think that's a fundamental rule. Unless you care to enlighten us Cosmic Dick?

Edited by RilverSizlas

I don't think it will ever be possible to say either way, I think that's a fundamental rule. Unless you care to enlighten us Cosmic Dick?

Can't enlighten anyone I'm afraid, I can only tell you what I believe, or at least what I think I believe, and then I would have to refer you to the high priests of my belief system.

CD

For some reason I'm reminded of the words from a Genesis track, can't recall the track but it is off Trespass, or Nursery Crime or Foxtrot, it keeps going round my mind as I type:

"Why, why can we never be sure till we die,

or get killed for an answer."

Ive heard of the disrespect from medical students who play around with dead elderly people...

Personal opinion not affected by athiesm, id like to be buried whole.

it would be interesting to know why logik?????

Anything worth using they can take and the rest of me can be composted and planted under a new tree

.............................. :D