Coco Thread!

Guest peace&quiet

Been using the stuff for years, at first for mothers...

Hiya

I keep my mums in coco, but am pretty-much making-it-up as I go along...

How did you used to keep your mums? How long did you keep them etc.?

Any info much appreciated...

ATB

Stan

I used to use 6.5 litre pots. Canna coco nutes at about 1.2 ec (ish) and cannazyme and that was it. A spray of Nitrozyme now and again. Mums would last maybe 2 years before getting messy with too many skinny shoots for decent cuttings.

Now tho I use the OT1 bonsai method and keep mums in 1 ltr pots of coco. I use Plant Magic coco nutes now (again around 1 - 1.2 ec on ave), cannazyme and a few drops of PM bio-wetter as general mum feed.

The plants are also given PM essence weekly as a spray - which includes catalyst which is seaweed based... Partly as an LSF preventative and partly just because they love it.

I give them a feed occasionally with PM bio silicon, although I'm going to start a foliar application of this as I understand it's better that way for hydro.

Basically the bottom line for me is keep the feed strength as low as poss while still keeping the plant healthy...

The mums done like this are now about eight months old and barely any bigger than the day I took the first cuts from them. Suppose it depends on how many cuts you need at a time too...

E2a: planning on using a small amount of worm castings and PM granules in with the coco soon as a bit of an experimant - may need to watch/adjust ec levels of the feed if I do... We'll see.

Edited by DD2001

Savage -

I add a PK in all the way through flower from week 3 to flush. Don't worry about it so much....I'm not sure what you think your problem is but you don't appear to have one! If the levels are too low then you just won't get as much benefit, but it won't do them any harm. A PK is nice and good to use but it's not critical by any means. You'll only fuck it up if you overdo the PK, not underdo.

GN

thanks GreenNinja, you have put my mind at rest.

I have noticed straight away how the pk began having an influence on the buds resin production and they also started to become visibly denser. My worry was they looked as if they were going to concentrate on becomming very hard and resinous without developing any more weight and size, which is what they appeared to be doing.

I have stopped applying the pk for now and so i will be able to see how their development changes and maybe even learn a thing or two, and then possibly add a little more pk in a couple of weeks time.

cheers

I used to use 6.5 litre pots. Canna coco nutes at about 1.2 ec (ish) and cannazyme....... in with the coco soon as a bit of an experimant - may need to watch/adjust ec levels of the feed if I do... We'll see.

Hi

Thanks for that - interesting stuff!

I keep mine in 0.5ltr square pots of coco. I use my regular hydro-nutes (which claim to be suitable for coco and so-far so-good...)

I've just started using cannazyme but I can't see any evidence that it makes any difference.

I keep mine very small. My last batch did get root-rot in the end but still appeared to be healthy - it was the fact that the cuttings wouldn't root that led me to discovering the rot. I plan to regenerate my current mums once every 6 months or so to try to avoid the accumulation of dead root material.

I feed at an EC of between 1.8 and 2.2 (incl. EC0.6 in bacground). I find I don't need to use pH down - the water from the tap is OK...

Cheers

Stan

Edited by Stan909

hi all

question might be worth adding in here .............

what ec should seedlings be fed ??? iam using ionics coco atm ?????

peppi :ninja:

Edited by Peppi

Hello Peppi

Never grown from seed in coco personally,does ionic coco have any nutes in it at all?

Whats your background ec fella?

Id start off very low,around 0.5 mate for seedlings & keep a close eye on them.

p&q

I think Peppi means he's using Ionic's Coco nutes, I dont think they do a Coco.

I know my Coco (Bcuzz) is prenuted to EC0.8 I'm starting seeds in coco as well as soon as Mr Postman makes a delivery. I was intending to make a res of ph5.5 water, 1/2 strength rhizo and as soon as they look up to it a dose of akrivator.

When I started to see roots at the bottom of the pot I was going to start feeding them starting at EC 0.6 and increasing from there.

I am very impressed with the speed Coco grows, like many on here thanks GreenNinja you set me onto a good thing.

This is 1 1.2m tent with 12 plants 2 weeks ago today the plan was to flower out the 12 plants in there.

The zip broke on my Dark Room Streets so I bought a full version (Much better tent) problem was while Intended to replace this tent and remove a 1m2 "tent" I had, because of an excess of equipment I ended setting up 2 1.2m2 tents a 1m2 tent with the 12 plants. I blame too much time on my hands.

post-15022-1265484916_thumb.jpg

post-15022-1265485138_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tutu

:(

I really need to post before I smoke..sorry Peppi :yes:

Just had a wee read of the ionci nutes for coco & they rekon an ec of 1.2 for seedlings :thumsup:

Id say thats too much,maybe half that mate,I know when i was in nft using ionics they advised something like 7ml per litre wich was way to much.

Goodluck.

p&q

Edited by p&q

Now 2 weeks later 3 600w in seperate tents and we have this

4 plants in hempy buckets but hydroton instead of perlite in the base and pure coco above the drains.

the 2nd one a single plant, 1 18ltr pot, 1 600w, 1m2, will add scrog net.

post-15022-1265485184_thumb.jpg

post-15022-1265485380_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tutu
  • Like 1

Lastly all the plants left out the original 12 in another utility shelf (PITA to setup but good glad I bought 2 now, was only going to buy one because binning that tent)

So impressed for 2 weeks I think by next weekend they'll be ready to go, 3 weeks to veg from 1.2 to 3.4m2 I'm very impressed.

post-15022-1265485543_thumb.jpg

im just starting in my wilma system in coco never grown in coco before only in soil i read thast i have to soak the coco so its wet when i fill the pots is this true??? also the tank takes 140ltrs di i have to/need to fill it to that point or would say half that 70ltrs do the same job sorry if these questions sound silly but i been soil growing and hasnd feeding for years this is a neew foray

:oldtoker:

Hello Beard,

Im not familiar with the wilma system..do you use drippers from a main resivior? Years ago when in nft I asked a simular question about filling my tank right up or just half full,was advised to fill it up.Saves you having to refill it less often.

Coco needs to be kept moist mate,dont let it dry out before watering again it will damage the roots.

How about just hand wattering still since youve got the experience,its what I do,you could fill the res up stick in the nutes and ph it,stick an airstone in it & water when you want.

p&q

hi p&q good idea mate i was just wondering if i had to soak the coco before putting it into the pots? and yes the wilma is drippers but i shant be using the dripper system till later on when the plants are mature as im putting rooted clones into the oco

cheers mate

Using a Wilma (They recirculate don't they) I would make sure somewhere between the pump and before the drippers there's a filter and check the drippers regularly, it's more dirty than bubblers, pebbles, etc. Unsure if a Wilma comes with 1 I would make sure you have an airstone in the res.

With a filter and maybe some ATI block clean you should be fine.

I would start with 70 litres and see how long it lasts, as a good rule of thumb it's a good idea to change the res every week or so.

If you don't want to recirculate (Or run DTW) you could use a 100ltr external water butt (£10 wilkos bargain in right now) keep the res in that. Use the pump from the wilma to pump from the 100ltr res to the drippers in the pots. Collect the run off in the base of the wilma and bin it. (Or boil it up and readd back to res, popular with commercial growers as it eliminates nasties)

Edited by Tutu

Guest hantshaze
hi p&q good idea mate i was just wondering if i had to soak the coco before putting it into the pots? and yes the wilma is drippers but i shant be using the dripper system till later on when the plants are mature as im putting rooted clones into the oco

cheers mate

Hello beard.

I've not read anyware about wetting coco first.

On my first run with canna coco & nutes and lovin it :yinyang:

I threat it as compost when potting up. Not too firm ang water'ed very gentley untll good roots.

Dont want to be packing it down too much.

Good luck with ya wilma's. I'm going on the autopots ting :guitar:

hantshaze.............

Anyone know what the PH is in a bag of 50L canna coco professional plus?

my PH is sitting abit high at 7.0 :smoke:

Mr.Nice

Edited by Mr.Nice