God Is Sabotaging The Large Hadron Collider

arcane

Blasphemy, a novel from Douglas Preston, the bestselling science-fiction author, draws on similar themes, with a story about a mad physicist who wants to use a particle accelerator to communicate with God. The physicist may be American and the machine located in America, rather than Switzerland, but the links are clear.

What a load of bollox. No scientist belives in god. Funny read though.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cosmic Dick

• ninorc

• arcane

• GoGoBongzilla

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blasphemy, a novel from Douglas Preston, the bestselling science-fiction author, draws on similar themes, with a story about a mad physicist who wants to use a particle accelerator to communicate with God. The physicist may be American and the machine located in America, rather than Switzerland, but the links are clear.

What a load of bollox. No scientist belives in god. Funny read though.

Actually a deep knowledge of physics does nothing but reaffirm some scientists faith in God (excluding Einstein on whom it seemed to have rather the opposite effect) including Nobel prize winners and modern physicists. Christopher Isham is Christian and also responsible for some very important work relating to Quantum Theory

I'm no Christian, But hey ho, there you go. Each to their own. I would say it was an exception rather than the rule.

Holey Moley. A million thank you's for this link!

It's pretty cool, is it not? Check out the LHC Status Display.

I think I just heard someone say they'd be taking another couple of hours, but there are updates from the control room on the hour. Provisional schedule for the main webcast is here (times are in CEST, i.e.: + 1 hour).

It's pretty cool, is it not? Check out the LHC Status Display.

I think I just heard someone say they'd be taking another couple of hours, but there are updates from the control room on the hour. Provisional schedule for the main webcast is here (times are in CEST, i.e.: + 1 hour).

Cool. As.

Terrible timing though, I have to go to college in a bit. :/ I'm going to miss it all.

Awsome links guys ta very much , thats my day sorted lol

I know im sad as fook :wink: , but im well intrested in this ,been following it for years .

What id give to work there !!!!!!!!!

stickyrussian

11.28am: Hilarious. A Cern physicist has just been talking about creating black holes. He worked out that to make a black hole, you need to compress 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 protons into the space of a billionth of a millionth of a millimetre. That number of protons would make up three times the population of Geneva. Apparently.

This from Brian Cox on Twitter:

"If anyone else says "black hole" today I'm going to come round and chin em".

Busy guy: he's talking to Lauren Laverne now! They're up to speed, so let the colliding begin...

I love the fact that CERN are struggling with video conferencing ....it was better when they didn't know they were broadcasting audio and you could hear the geeks chatting and joking

Edited by weed_G

Is anybody getting live video footage off that cern webcast?

All I'm getting is audio, and still images that change every now and then, and sometimes bits of interviews.

Is it their streaming at fault, or is my ISP causing it?

It's working here, but there's not a lot to see. Just a crowd of pleased geeks in their respective control rooms gazing at data on screens and beaming with pride. They are showing a live event display from Atlas at the mo...

video seems a bit more stable now ..still lagging out tho ..if you logged in early you probably have a better feed

Edited by weed_G

When they show the collision animation, I got that smooth.

When the camera switches ti live, I get a few seconds of video but then it freezes, until the next camera change and the same happens, it just freezes, but the audio continues.

I'd rather listen to it on a radio with better presenters, this is just a waste of time and is very frustrating.