If You Were Omnipotent

Culchi

Were I omnipotent, I would build someone capable of killing me, thereby ending my own omnipotence. Nobody deserves that level of power.

That's a very Stoic answer... the only true act of freedom is to kill yourself.

But there is a bit of a problem... if you are all powerful surly you have the power to survive any attack on your life. Or maybe part of being all powerful is being able to give up the powers... but again this is a contradiction since an all powerful being cannot be un-all powerful. You're either one or the other... giving up the power means your actions would no longer be those of an all powerful being, implying that an all powerful being can not be killed and arguably that an all powerful being an never not be an all powerful being. (Oh the fun you can have with classical logic!!! :(

I'd almost do the same but wouldn't go so far as to distroy myself. Perhaps the true act of an all powerful being is exercising the CHOICE NOT to act?

On another note, I'd love to bring about a contradiction or a paradox... would be lovely to see a squared circle now and again, would make for a good laugh at a roundabout. How to you explain to the police that you rammed into a corrner on the roundabout :)

Oh, heal the world and blah blah blah...

....A 31 day orgy....

...Smoke a spliff with history's greatest... ...Throw in a rediculous passage in the Bible about Jesus' lazy cousin Larry who had a passion for donkey trading, sodomy and ribbon collecting. "...and Jesus said 'Larry, you're a fat ass hole...' " or something of the like...

There's just no telling whatI'd do... but it would involve a lot of spliff :)

Edited by GrowStar

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mokum777

• Culchi

• Keye

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I were omnipotent the first thing I'd do would be to make myself omniscient, then I'd know what to do with my omnipotence :(

I would also have an ability to sculpt and change planets. With a built in warning system for any wrong moves, and an undo button. :) I think I would have millennia of fun with that. :)

I love the undo button. A ctrl-z function for the real world! Awesome idea!

e2a:

If I were omnipotent the first thing I'd do would be to make myself omniscient, then I'd know what to do with my omnipotence

:(

I'm still trying to work out what I'd be capable of if I were either scient or potent, never mind the omni bit...

e3a: Growstar, when I get to be omnipotent, I'll go back in time and kill my grandad for you to see what happens when a paradox and an immovable being collide...

Edited by Eddiesilence

That's a very Stoic answer... the only true act of freedom is to kill yourself.

Well I'm not really offering to kill myself, just to create somebody capable of killing me, a Ying to my Yang, so that I will no longer be omnipotent (seems to me that, if I am truly all powerful, then nothing can stop me from creating someone capable of killing me, and once I have created them I will no longer be omnipotent by definition). Omnipotence sounds like an awful burden to be honest, and even if we decide not to exercise that power we are still making judgements upon the lives of others by deciding not to act.

But there is a bit of a problem... if you are all powerful surly you have the power to survive any attack on your life. Or maybe part of being all powerful is being able to give up the powers... but again this is a contradiction since an all powerful being cannot be un-all powerful. You're either one or the other... giving up the power means your actions would no longer be those of an all powerful being, implying that an all powerful being can not be killed and arguably that an all powerful being an never not be an all powerful being. (Oh the fun you can have with classical logic!!! :spliff:

Absolutely, it's the age old question that philosophers have begged of each other since humanity first gazed to the heavens: could God make a pizza so big that he couldn't finish all of it?

...Smoke a spliff with history's greatest... ...Throw in a rediculous passage in the Bible about Jesus' lazy cousin Larry who had a passion for donkey trading, sodomy and ribbon collecting. "...and Jesus said 'Larry, you're a fat ass hole...' " or something of the like...

Does the Bible really need more ridiculous passages? We already have Jesus fighting a flock of pig demons. Let's not complicate things further.

Random suggestion: maybe you could "hotbox" the atmosphere of Earth?

Does the Bible really need more ridiculous passages? We already have Jesus fighting a flock of pig demons. Let's not complicate things further.

Random suggestion: maybe you could "hotbox" the atmosphere of Earth?

....First of all, those pigs had it coming...

Hotbox the planet?... and people say global warming is a bad thing?!? But this is a typical religios question, why wait around for God to do something when we can do it for ourselves!!! :(:)