6step guide to making your rvk silent

Guest leepy

oh my god thats genius! and will save me alot of money ( got a noisy fan that i was going to replace but now i can do this when i start my new grow!! ), many thx!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just did this yesterday, don't know if I did a great job but my tent is in my bedroom and Im running two fans in there and I can sleep in there.

here are the pics

post-55912-1280508911_thumb.jpg

post-55912-1280508939_thumb.jpg

post-55912-1280508971_thumb.jpg

post-55912-1280509024_thumb.jpg

post-55912-1280509068_thumb.jpg

post-55912-1280509154_thumb.jpg

I don't find fans noisy, its the whooshing air that gets on my tits.

mine was noisy because I have a fan controller for day/night temps and at night when the power to the fan is cut back I hear this awful hmmm makes me sick and the wooshing is a problem too but the insulated ducting I used doesnt make it silent ( as its not acoustic) but it helps I read earlier on the thread that the ammount of straight ducting you should run is 5x the diameter of the duct so inside the tent my 4in intake has a run of 24 inches and my extraction which is 6in diameter has a 30in run then I cut the ammount of ducting to my carbon filter by putting it right on top of the tent with the fan so Its pretty powerful and relatively quiet ( quiet enough for me and the misses to sleep at night and for my 6mo ol baby girl to be in there right now napping on the bed with the tent no more than ten ft from her during lights on and fans full blast so I think its working a treat I got TWO fans in one room on full blast cant barely hear it ... works a treat indeed

now in my 4x4x6.5 grow tent Im running two 400w hps with a MAX temp of 76f (24.44) and min lights on temp of 22.78

Im happy as fock man LEEPY THANKS BRO! lol

Guest leepy
I don't find fans noisy, its the whooshing air that gets on my tits.

mine was noisy because I have a fan controller for day/night temps and at night when the power to the fan is cut back I hear this awful hmmm makes me sick and the wooshing is a problem too but the insulated ducting I used doesnt make it silent ( as its not acoustic) but it helps I read earlier on the thread that the ammount of straight ducting you should run is 5x the diameter of the duct so inside the tent my 4in intake has a run of 24 inches and my extraction which is 6in diameter has a 30in run then I cut the ammount of ducting to my carbon filter by putting it right on top of the tent with the fan so Its pretty powerful and relatively quiet ( quiet enough for me and the misses to sleep at night and for my 6mo ol baby girl to be in there right now napping on the bed with the tent no more than ten ft from her during lights on and fans full blast so I think its working a treat I got TWO fans in one room on full blast cant barely hear it ... works a treat indeed

now in my 4x4x6.5 grow tent Im running two 400w hps with a MAX temp of 76f (24.44) and min lights on temp of 22.78

Im happy as fock man LEEPY THANKS BRO! :spliff:

no problem mucka nice to be nice init lol

• 3 weeks later...

How about this for an idea...

You get the box, either cardboard or a made up wooden one..wrap the fan as per instructions, then take TWO more heavy duty plastic bags, maybe pop down the local pound shop, and get a couple of those vacuum storage bags, the kind that you suck the air out with a hoover, and suck out all the air. (make sure each bag is BIGGER than HALF of your box)

Put one bag one side the box, with a hole cut in the box for the small vacuum valve to fit through, put the fan in, then put the second vacuum bag in on the other side of the fan/box, with another small hole cut for the vacuum valve to fit through/in.

Now, seal the flaps of the box with duct tape or whatever, and fill both of the bags with expanding foam through each of the two valves.

This SHOULD (in theory!) fill both the vacuum bags with foam in a mold shape around your fan...leave to dry, and open the box.

You should now be able to remove your fan whenever you want or need to, to clean it, or rewire, or if it goes tits up you can replace it with the same type, and you'll have the perfect shaped foam mold to slot back over it, without having to cut away the foam to get at it!

Remember to suck out all the air from the bags first, or they'll probably explode with all the foam going in!

Could do it with ordinary plastic bags too i think, but these cheapo vacuum things are only a quid for two at the pound shops.

• 1 month later...

I'm about to take the plunge too .

prepping the box and clingfilming the fan tonight

after seeing this post, i'm weighing up whether to cram some rockwool in first and see if it quietens it enough :)

hi there every one i boxed a 5inch fan when i first joined the site and i used expanding foam to insulate it.. i made the second one up finaly last week but this time i used rockwool. and just packed it in there. the rock wool is much much better at insulating sound.. for sure.

Randy's wooden outer looks great :unsure: , but i'll be roughing it with cardboard for now .

Here's how i did it , and it's cut the fan noise down lots. :stoned:

i thought sod stuffing it full of loft insulation , where's the fun in that ?

get the fecking sprayfoam out.

wrap fan in plastic and tape up, cut holes in box for duct & tape the edges, hang off wood to keep it central , tape duct to fan

:rofl: FILL WITH FOAM :rofl:

post-32939-1285207613_thumb.jpg post-32939-1285207619_thumb.jpg post-32939-1285207624_thumb.jpg post-32939-1285207633_thumb.jpg

Hang it up

post-32939-1285208033_thumb.jpg

polycell brand foam 825ml value can with a brilliant reusable nozzle design .

It's taken 2 1/2 cans ,( probably down to using a box too big ,next time i'll make the effort to trim it down a bit )

cheers mucka :unsure:

Edited by Tremont-Salby

Box size ? too fu*kin big :stoned:

16"x20"x20" give or take.

not sure why, this ditty was running through my head whilst doing it

But i was singing 'fan in a box' and it had more than the three steps described @ 1min50...

Edited by Tremont-Salby

• 5 months later...

great idea leepy...surely it would be better to use a large box. the more foam used the better the acoustic property

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

go for rockwool/isowool etc instead of foam , its only £3 a roll now :smoke: and better for soundproofing. some places do sheeps wool which i think is supposed to be even better

acoustic ducting definately makes the biggest difference to extract noise :)

• Like 1