6step guide to making your rvk silent

Guest leepy

I wrapped mine with rockwool and cable ties and I can't say it feels hot, I would do this but my fans arfe quieter than the airstones so what's the point.

exactly what i do lol

• 2 weeks later...

So can anyone tell me the best foam to use then, and where to buy (England)

And how much will it cost.

Please as there are people saying various ones are crap..

Thanks............

EDIT: Nice one Leepy, good idea........

Edited by Scooby's Doobies

Thanks............

sorry bro only just seen ya post try this un

Thanks............

sorry bro only just seen ya post try this un

Ill keep an eye out for that, no name though and where. Ill check the ald BN? for it and a few places, Nice one m8.

All the best..........

you can try for nowt speedemon i did it with a wood box an loft insulation it worked just not as quiet but that could be cos it was a woodenbox or maybe it was the amount of rockwool i put in the box try it an see m8

Ok so did the box filled with foam, I think I used to much foam I punchtured the box to relive the pressure it's very sticky isnt it how would you gety the stuff of say formica worktop/washing machine and lino. before mrs groove gets home :spliff: I think she may go lol as Im also boiling some butter up so the house stinks as well. :stoned:

e2a It's been one of those I should ov stayed in bed days.

Edited by groovelick

Ok so did the box filled with foam, I think I used to much foam I punchtured the box to relive the pressure it's very sticky isnt it how would you gety the stuff of say formica worktop/washing machine and lino. before mrs groove gets home :yep: I think she may go :B): as Im also boiling some butter up so the house stinks as well. :wink:

e2a It's been one of those I should ov stayed in bed days.

pmsfl love it its a messy job an the only thing i no of to get it off is petrol m8

Beltin just wish me car wasnt diesel now! Gotta larf about it...

ps she went balsitic, my next grow is from rovers dwelling.

Edited by groovelick

:wink: :B)::yep: bro the 1st time i thought of it and tried it i used up 1an half big fuckoff tins :dev: filled the box an went down stairs cos i was in the loft then fuck me an hour an half later i went bk up only to see a mountain of foam at least 3ft high completely hiding the box that took some real cleaning up m8y lol

Wouldnt mind I've used the stuff before so I know how much it expands last time It was to fill an old air brick ended up like the water tenticle in the film the abyss hanging out side the house and also inside in the bedroom, the same vent I have just chipped the foam out to vent outside with.

Still the quest for silence is a noble one.

:rofl: Thought I was being all professnial and stuff and mounted me fan in a box but I used solid ducting from fan body to outside of box :rofl: (basic physics 101 sound is a vibration that passes readily throu a solid body) when said solid body is a steel tube it kinda amplifies the noise. quick half hour a pulling at said ductin and no solid link from fan body to outsideworld and all we have now is fan rush noise which the silencer takes care of.

Moral use flexible ducting in the box, rigid transferes the sound :rofl:

:B): Thought I was being all professnial and stuff and mounted me fan in a box but I used solid ducting from fan body to outside of box :eek: (basic physics 101 sound is a vibration that passes readily throu a solid body) when said solid body is a steel tube it kinda amplifies the noise. quick half hour a pulling at said ductin and no solid link from fan body to outsideworld and all we have now is fan rush noise which the silencer takes care of.

Moral use flexible ducting in the box, rigid transferes the sound :blub:

:B)::B)::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great idea and I'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow :wink: what size of box would be best suited for a 4" fan?

cheers

• 4 months later...

im making one for a 6inch rvk , always just used isowool packed round it in a box but this one im going to wrap it in iso then suspend it in the middle of a 600x600x600mm mdf box with string and then foam it. looking for some 6 and 10 inch pipe round roadworks to make a decent silencer too

hi there every one i boxed a 5inch fan when i first joined the site and i used expanding foam to insulate it.. i made the second one up finaly last week but this time i used rockwool. and just packed it in there. the rock wool is much much better at insulating sound.. for sure.