Near death experience

Canabizbob

Ninorc posted this in the steal the moon thread.

I thought I'd post it here,because it is very good.

Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor,had a massive stroke,and experienced a classic near death experience.

Here she gives a beutifull,and scientificly objective,take on it.

Some fundamental truths here,for everyone.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scraglor

• martian

• pinhead1337

• DtH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I enjoyed that thanks for posting. I love it when scientists talk about this sort of thing in as much a spiritual sense. I often think that I have two selfs, but I refer to them as my physical/genetic self and my conscious self. I had no idea it was right and left brain hemispheres. Very interesting!

very interesting, but some bits i didnt quite understand, like how sge thinks we can jusy choose when and which side of our brain to use?

It's a bit more complex than just choosing to use one side of your brain.

First you've got to realise,what this lady touched upon is the basis of all spirituality,and the endevour of all religion,the pinicle of human experience/acheivment.

All religion and mythology and much art is symbolic metaphore for this mystical state,and how it's obtained.

The first step to getting there is to open your mind to such ideas.

Bob.

very interesting, but some bits i didnt quite understand, like how sge thinks we can jusy choose when and which side of our brain to use?

by understanding which mind states each one is responsible for. she goes through this at the start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ninorc posted this in the steal the moon thread.

I thought I'd post it here,because it is very good.

Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor,had a massive stroke,and experienced a classic near death experience.

Here she gives a beutifull,and scientificly objective,take on it.

Some fundamental truths here,for everyone.

Thanks for posting that canabizbob and ninorc. It was enlightening for sure.Glad to have seen it Peace SG

• 1 month later...

anyone interested in exploring NDE's might want to track down a book called 'Ketamine Dreams and Realities' by Dr. Karl Jansen.

It's available to download as a pdf. from 'drugs forum' if you are a member there

Edited by ninjagear

Sounds like the last time I tripped acid minus the blood clot

Hi All.

Absolutely M8.

While very interesting, and the objectives highly laudabe, (as is the peace, and be nice to each other parts of religiuose teachings), I think is slightly missleading when someone "of science" waxes a little too lirical about so called spirituality, and gives false credence to the arguemts of religion and folk who believe in souls and strange "energies" that no one can find any trace of.

She should really know better, with the insight that she should posess, my god man!!!! she was having a stroke, and I dare say experiencing some chemical imbalances to boot.

How can she really believe she found "Nirvana", She was TRIPPING. As I'm sure, (along with me) quite a few of you have also had these feelings, but you realise, that while very nice, and entertaining while it lasts, it somehwat goes away, WHEN ONE COMES DOWN.

I'd like to hazard that while she may be a scientist, she was also NOT an athiest, before or after her unfortunate stroke.

Tatty Bye.

Martian.