Remote Viewing

Hi,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_viewing

I've been casually delving into this subject over the last two days. What prompted me was Dr Steven Greer's decision to run Consciousness Trainings/Expeditions. Now Steven Greer is a ufologist and founder of The Disclosure Project. Now I know a lot of you will be skeptical of anyone who belives in UFOs but personally over the last 3 months I've been convinced that there is at the very least a lot of very legitimate testomony. I have a great deal of respect for Greer, thus I have decided to keep myt mind open on stuff like Remote Viewing, however I remain skeptical.

So what are your thoughts on remote viewing? And what do you think of the video below?

Edited by soto

Have you heard of "Major Ed Dames"?

I'm not sure, there dept was supposedly closed down, unless it just went "underground", but why get rid of your main group of people who've been testing the theory's?

:rofl:

Ed Dames aka 'Dr Doom' is full of shit.

However remote viewing is as far as several eminent scholars see it, statistically real, it is quite beyond chance. It is a legitimate field of scientific study. I cannot believe on the face of it that this is true, however to a degree it seems so.

Just having a read of this now.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2006.09.001

here's a snippet to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

In their seminal paper on the subject, A Perceptual Channel for Information Transfer over Kilometer Distances, Russell and Targ discuss a set of over 50 experiments performed under controlled laboratory conditions. The initial studies were done in and around the Silicon Valley area. The remote viewers were able to correctly describe (often in great detail) geographical and man-made targets, including buildings, laboratory equipment, and the like. The descriptions occurred within the context of “double-blind” experiments in which neither the remote viewers, the analysts or, the judges knew the nature of the targets being described.

By matching the distribution of target rankings of blind judges to transcripts produced by experienced remote viewers as associated with target locations, Russell and Targ reported results that were statistically significant within the .05 level in five out of six experiments, with the sixth experiment being suggestive, but not conclusive [5].

It could be argued that the original participants would have been familiar with the local landmarks and landscape of the Stanford area. Further research by Targ indicates that that the accuracy and resolution of the RV targets appears to be insensitive to variations in distance [6]. A remote viewer was able to get an equally clear picture of a location at the other end of the campus as he would get from a target in Central America [7].

Things get even more interesting when the constraints are made more difficult. In an experiment by Bisaha and Dunne, a series of precognitive remote viewing trials were conducted between northern Wisconsin and various sites in Eastern Europe. The percipient was asked to describe the location of the outbounder, 5,000 miles away and 24 h into the future. The outbounder was then asked to concentrate on his surroundings at the target time and location and take a photograph to be later compared with the percipient's descriptions. The photographs were then given to a judge to create a rank matches between the target destinations with the descriptions provided by the remote viewer. The results were accurate with statistical significance of p < .005 in comparison to a random match of targets [8].

Edited by soto

This is starting to sound like something out of the minority report.

Targ's best-known experiment involved forecasting the price of silver over a series of one-week periods. In this experiment, there were four potential outcomes for each week. The outcomes were separated in to “up a little” (< + $.25), “up a lot” (≥ + $.25), “down a little” (< − $.25) or “down a lot” (≥ − $.25). These four discrete conditions would be represented by such diverse objects as a light bulb, a flower, a book, or a stuffed animal.

The sponsor of the experiment (a professional investor) picked the four objects, while Targ contacted by phone the remote viewer to get his impressions of the object “associated” with the outcome of the silver market for that week. Based on the description of the remote viewer, silver futures contracts were bought or sold, and then liquidate at the end of the week. Of the nine forecasts performed in this experiment, all nine were correct, and over $120,000 was earned. The story subsequently made the front page of the Wall Street Journal [12].

The experiment was repeated the following year with the intention of making more money, but reportedly failed under a combination of botched protocol and greed [13].

Targ revised the weekly experiments with a group of friends in 1995. This time, Targ refined his protocol over his previous experiments to include error detection. If the remote viewers each identified two different targets (one associated with the “up” state and one associated with the “down” state), they would have the potential to cancel each other out. If one of the remote viewers failed to identify any target while the other succeeded, a “trade” was entered based on the target that was identified. In this experiment, the remote viewers accurately predicted the outcome of the silver market eleven out of twelve times (p = 0.003) [14] R. Targ and J. Katra, Viewing the future: a pilot study with an error-detecting protocol, J. Sci. Explor. 9 (3) (1995), pp. 367–380.[14].

Edited by soto

I wonder how the remote viewing sequence was edited - how many facts did he get wrong? But having said that, I do believe there is more to this world than most of us are aware of. Isn't it said that we use only 20% of our brains? So if we could unlock into the other 80%, what would we be capable of? Maybe there is such a thing as a collective consciousness that remote viewers can tap into. For the time being I'll keep an open mind erring on the side of skepticism.

This one gets me.

Remote viewing | the players

Pat Price

Pat Price

SRI Remote viewer, CIA viewer

& former Police Officer.

Died in 1975.

Pat Price was one of SRI's most successful viewers,and with Ingo swann propelled remote viewing headlong into the arms of the American millitary. Pat's sessions were constantly accurate as the quote below shows:

"He was extraordinaryly accurate, unbeleivebly accurate". - a former CIA offical, on a series of remote viewings by Pat Price.

The rivalry between Pat & Ingo at SRI is legendry, and so is the death of Pat price which still attracts rumours of conspiracy to this day. Pat price is most well known for his remote viewing session which included accurate sketches of a gantry crane at a secret USSR facility during the cold war.

pat_crane.gif

I feel stupid saying this but please don't go out and sign up to some bollocks remote viewing course somewhere. The likelihood it will be full of crackpots out to make a quick buck or inflate their ego. Stick to reading journals etc.

Edited by soto

Man you find some wierd stuff in some of these journals. How about this?

J Psychoactive Drugs. 2001 Jul-Sep;33(3):301-5.Links

A case study of space-time distortion during a total lunar eclipse following street use of LSD.

Dawson KA.

Zero In Consulting Company, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. kadawson@telus.net

Although psychedelics can induce "cosmic" consciousness through severe distortions of time and space perceptions, little attention has been given to examination of this psychopharmacological property. With the hope of providing an impetus to further research in this area, a case of cosmic perception under the influence of LSD is reported which included the apparent movement of consciousness to the lunar surface combined with the experience of remote viewing of the Milky Way galaxy. While the possibility of veridical remote viewing is unlikely, it is speculated that the neurocognitive action of LSD can sensitize the user to focused bright light, associated memories, and creative elaborations during actual eclipse events. Experimenters are urged to adopt precautions to avoid potentially detrimental effects of pharmacologically manipulating the space-time continuum.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1171832...Pubmed_RVDocSum

I can't help but laugh.

Edited by soto