Why Do You Believe What You Believe

I don't just mean religious beliefs, I mean your whole outlook on life, religious, philosophical, political, everything. Do you believe what you believe because it fits your personality, or is your personality what it is because of what you believe ? (and don't say you believe what you believe because it's right, I'm not talking about that I'm interested in whether people think their beliefs shape their personality or whether they think their personality shapes their beliefs). Which came first, the beliefs or the personality ?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boojum

• Blayz'd

• Father McPot

• lonestar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest podgy

I've been told that I suffer from a damaged perception and so I can't believe what I think until I've gone through it in my head a few times... I'm f'd up I know... :P

E2A: I do belive the external experiences with have in our daily lives shape our belifes and our personalities...

Edited by podgy

Which came first, the beliefs or the personality ?

Personality, surely? IE. someone who is submissive and/or gullible by nature will take on beliefs more readily than the sceptical folks. I've seen that people that have the same beliefs, had similar personalities beforehand.

I just wonder if my nihilism, my fatalism, my cynicism together with my liberality are all products of my mind, my mental illness, my periods of suicidal depression and my general desire to be left the fuck alone :P I wonder if had I not had the mental/psychological problems I have would I have grown up to be a theist, or a materialist, or a selfish capitalist ?

I guess I'm just interested in what makes us us.

Guest podgy

I'm sure there's a degree of genetics that are involved, but I would suspect the right answer is it's a combination of all the above... :unsure:

Guest grandad

i suppose i would call myself a simple type of guy, cannabis is the story of my life and moulded me into my way of thinking, beliefs? i'm not sure i have any. my education stopped when i was only 10, but i learn something new everyday. i'm just out of a 40 year nightmare and am learning to enjoy life.

id say that experiance has founded my belief,s.wat goes round comes round is a belief i experienced from an early age and something that seriously changed who i am today.

my answer is i believe wat i do cause ive experienced it...a conscious choice to believe.

a conscious choice to believe.

I think in religious terms it certainly is a conscious choice to believe. I therefore don't think that religious belief should have any legal protection - none beyond the general legal protection that everyone should expect from harassment and physical violence etc. I would also suggest that my cannabis use (and many others) is NOT a choice, it's a necessity, and therefore should be afforded the legal protection that at the moment is enjoyed by religions. We should not be persecuted for our use of cannabis, we should be protected from persecution because for us cannabis use is not a choice any more than the right to NHS treatment for non-fatal conditions.

Sorry, off topic, just came into my head.

my natural beliefs led me down a very different path to that i now tread . no religion involved just personal choice and belief...

Language makes us booj, the ever constant internal description of our world :unsure:

Language is the first thing to go after a the start of a good trip.

Being disconnected from the earth i believe is the root of most problems today, pagans were smashed in the conquests!!!!

Language makes us booj, the ever constant internal description of our world :unsure:

Language is the first thing to go after a the start of a good trip.

Funny you say that, because it's through language that I've found myself. The joy of words I have has pulled me out of a BIG hole I was once in and given me a reason to exist. And I discovered that joy of language through tripping, one wonderful trip I just started messing with words and suddenly a door opened in my brain and I realised Yes, this is me, I know now that words are my passion.

Language is good cos we must have had a BIG CHAT with our selfs after the conquests!!

Shutting it off is good too :ouch:

And ive read Shamans agree poetry is the closest an ordinary man can come to the spirit, how humbling :down:

So your just in the right place :D your writing skills are cool !

Edited by Biw Coopah

I suppose it partly depends on what you class as a belief :ouch:

I think nature has a lot to do with it, although nurture plays a part as well IMO and once you leave home, you're often still young enough to be permanently influenced by experience and things you work out for yourself.

At least that's how it's been with me. I was born into a middle class, CofE family who brought me up in a certain way and to believe certain things. After leaving home, those beliefs became modified by what I learnt for myself, from those around me.

Today, I'd say I'm probably about 2/3rds what my family made me and 1/3rd what I've made of myself - for better or worse :down:

:ouch:

....personality, or the 'I am', is a transient construct or entity subject to change and definiton by beliefs and in service to the greater hidden self - which being limited truly to only a few functions 'awareness' and presence leaves the phenomena of the personality about as real as a mirror image. Words being a means in which time is trapped or bound in service to this self is the method of communication by which this change of personality can be accomplished effectively. ...and such shit! :D

bushfrog :down:

I just wonder if my nihilism, my fatalism, my cynicism together with my liberality

You believe it fate?