Gardening Which Compost Trials 08

oldtimer1

I've been looking on the B&Q website and the John Innes composts aren't listed anymore have they stopped it or something?

I assumed that myself when i went in to look for it , all they had was the bags posted above that i used.

have to say i dunno what the difference would of been like with the other with added ji in there but this stuff is absolutely fantastic, now if only i could get compost that works as well in flower id be over the moon.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnyblaze

• djay

• oldtimer1

• Machiavelli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I assumed that myself when i went in to look for it , all they had was the bags posted above that i used.

have to say i dunno what the difference would of been like with the other with added ji in there but this stuff is absolutely fantastic, now if only i could get compost that works as well in flower id be over the moon.

When i first looked JI was listed on the net but not available in every store now its not listed at all.

Ye i'm going to give the seedling and cutting compost ago as your roots look very thick and healthy, could this be down to the coir thats used? Doesn't coir contain Trichoderma?

I'm the same as you trying to find a decent compost for flowering, up till now i've tried all mix from bio-bizz and thought it was shit, the batmix is pretty decent though but a bit expensive, thats why i was wanting to give JI from B&Q a go but doesn't seem to be on there web site anymore.

Hmm got no clue about the Trichoderma in coir and i just got some of that canna activator trichoderma for when i potted up into batmix.

Have to say i fucking h8 batmix myself for the fact of the lumps and shit you have to go through for ages crushing them up and it's a right pain in the arse to do as well you know.

I would just love something more like this fluffy and lighter more like all-mix was years ago before they took the best stuff out of it and put it into a bottle and called it bioheaven .....

Guest The Sheriff

Heya Evens , pretty much the norm im affraid this time of year searching for compost , the top soil is one route , i would recommend Jab Top soil ,

Natural English loam blended with organic matter and nutrients
, can you not source some west plus with added ji ? , not brilliant for you're rootgrow fungis but keep them fed well and happy and they will preform for you , good luck .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all, i went compost shopping today and could only manage to get a 60L bag of westlands peat free multi purpus compost with added ji

it seems to do well for watering and impatiens but bad for spuds?? :bangin:

im not using it for anouther week yet still in the b&q seed&cutting compost (luvvly stuff :( )

Is there anything i can add to this to make it a good compost ??

I im ordering some granuals and essence kit, is there anything else maybe worm casts?

B) docgr33n

right ive looked again at my compost and ive got name wrong slightly

west+ peat free multi-purpose compost

green and blue bag

The one with the peat in is good doc, but i suspect that one might be shit for canna :rofl: Alot of growers on here like the West+ but i don't think any have mentioned using the peat free from what i recall. I quite like the peat version myself, can't believe how light it is either. Looks mostly like hay though which might explain it :rofl:

ye this seems to be purely composted bark i thought would be allright no big bits really i can change but im not likeing where there stored ive seen 2 diff bugs in me grow today 1 small round black thing on the pot and 1 lill green kinda rectangular fly hoping about

im not flowering as yet theese plants still young so if i get the compost from garden center its still storred outside they got 1 hell of alot a choice tho even some chicken poo

i really want a nice mix for flowering my cuts with any ideas?? :yep:

eta. my profile bang uptodate so u can see what else i use

Edited by docgr33n

Wouldn't worry about the compost being stored outside doc, i think i always get mine from outside, not much choice unless you goto the growshop for theirs but you still don't know if it's been stored outside before it got there anyway. I've even had buds in root riot cubes and they're wrapped up in plastic....no avoiding the peskies i reckon!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

allright man cheers for help ill get the peat westlands for next pot up n this can go in garden of for toms or somthing

ill have to get some ruckdust would they sell it there or online only?

Machiavelli
there is a list of garden centre's on the seers website that sell it :ninja:

thnx mate no where near me im afraid

i shall get some ordered tho

check out my diary for a small comparison of the peat free and root growth

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I have an unscientific compost trial on at the mo

I found it helps the roots no end

Plants are shorter and stockier

9 plants 7 days in flower

westlands mp+JI

west hanging basket

B+Q JI3

3 in each

1in pure 1in 10%coco 1 in 20% coco

I have loads to say and dont want to hyjack this thread

can you PM me ?

HB

:ouch:

Edited by heyboy

Arnold Layne
Just a quicky about john innes composts, i do like the health my plants have using this but i find it to be very heavy and dense so i was thinking of adding 10% coco coir to it but dont want to do it if it wont help any, i've seen a few people using coir in there compost mixes and seen some good reports, do you think it will help the roots at all?

It wont harm, and it may help reduce any compaction which you appear to be experiencing.

But it will reduce available nutrients, so just be sure not to use too much and to keep an eye on the plants for any signs of hunger and then feed accordingly. Coir is good for fungi and micro-herd too, I gather.

can you PM me ?

heyboy, please don't ask folks to do that because then we don't all get to see what you've got to say.

UK420 dpends on its members to publish openly what they learn as they grow, so the rest of us can gather the info too.

PM's like the one you ask for, would soon kill the site's educational value! Eeeek! Please, Noooooooooo!

Openly publish your findings freind, we all want to learn. Really.

Sooo, what is you've found??

(If posting a long post, make sure to use plenty of paragraphs, and preferable leave a blank line between each paragraph too. Makes for an easier reading experience :unsure: )