Gardening Which Compost Trials 08

oldtimer1

Heres a quick pic of my seedling compost -

post-12370-1228780939_thumb.jpg

Hope I have been some help :unsure::unsure:

Yeah that's the one i saw , but as stated had no added ji so i didn't by it as i didn't think it was the right compost.

Thanks for adding the picture.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnyblaze

• djay

• oldtimer1

• Machiavelli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No problem mate.

Like I said, I have found it really nice compost for planting rooted cuttings into and planting straight from seed has worked just aswell lately with my BB Cheese :yep: It does retain the water really well and I only need to water once every 4 days when the seedlings/cuttings are young. Once every 3 days when they are a little bigger, no more than that anyway before I repot into the Westlands Advanced + (at roughly 6-8 inches high).

I honestly dont know if it is the same compost as you are looking for as there is no sign of JI in it but if you want something to use that you know will work (until you find the one with JI in), I can vouch for its performance B)

• 2 weeks later...
ElusiveFarmer

i got a homebase growbag which is the cheapest on the charts. i'll see how it goes but it seems to be ok stuff, judging from the charts - it came second top in the 3rd test. i wonder how much the compost is a factor compared to nutes?

i got a homebase growbag which is the cheapest on the charts. i'll see how it goes but it seems to be ok stuff, judging from the charts - it came second top in the 3rd test. i wonder how much the compost is a factor compared to nutes?

Well you don't tend to feed in veg usually so it's all about the compost.

ElusiveFarmer

i know it's not ideal what i've done using ok-quality compost to start but i'll get something better for the next repotting.

i thought you fed nitrogen during veg?

i know it's not ideal what i've done using ok-quality compost to start but i'll get something better for the next repotting.

i thought you fed nitrogen during veg?

I fed mine a weak solution of N and still managed to burn them -

I seriously would wait til the plant tells you what it needs.

I know patience is the hardest thing to come to terms with when growing your own...!

vangraffe

• 2 weeks later...
Heres a quick pic of my seedling compost -

post-12370-1228780939_thumb.jpg

Hope I have been some help :ninja::)

Well i bought some and i started some seedlings in root riot cubes this first picture is what they looked like being put into this b&q seedling compost pictures above.

post-9985-1230826920_thumb.jpg

And this is the same set of plants around 4-5 day's later still in 3" pots and due for a re-pot as the roots have hit the top and bottom of the pot all ready.

I have to say i am well impressed myself , usually i plant into allmix or batmix with a 60/40 mix of perlite nut i guess i wont be doing that again now as these look much better and are growing much faster than anytime before.

:)

post-9985-1230827076_thumb.jpg

I just potted those up into 1ltr pot's now i used the same compost as before although i don't know if it will have enough nutrients for 1-2 weeks????

Then they will be potted into 6.5ltr pots and ill prob use batmix again as i thought it was a little better than allmix.

nutrient wise I think you shoulld be fine, but what I do is add some microherd powders on every transplant. That and a weak solution of maxicrop and molasses and your soil will be alive!

Little update plants now in 1ltr pots since my last post , fed nothing but water so far.

have to say i could of done with potting the bubble gum up a little earlier as i got slight yellowing from lack of food but there getting along fine now once they have been re-potted.

This soil is very much awesome to say the very least....

After 4-6 days the roots are coming through the bottom of the 1ltr pots after being potted up from 3" pot's.

post-9985-1231338015_thumb.jpg

And here is a shot of the roots after around 5 days fed nothing but water in 1 ltr pots.

I kinda think i have maybe another 2-3 days max in these pots then i am going to have to pot up to 3.6ltr or 6.5 ltr.

I can't say enough about this soil its fuckin awesome lol

post-9985-1231414604_thumb.jpg

i've saved a few quid since using the b+q seedling brand,a good light fluffy compost indeed.

cheap for me and keeps babies cheerfull.

no problems to report yet.

And here is a shot of the roots after around 5 days fed nothing but water in 1 ltr pots.

I can't say enough about this soil its fuckin awesome lol

Any chance of a pic. of the bag.

Looking verry healthy.

picture of the bag is on page 6, b&q seedling compost