Gardening Which Compost Trials 08

oldtimer1

CaptainStoner

Not going to start an argument about it in this very useful sticky.. but the above is plain not true. I have seen many growers put bubbled clones right into soil with no issue. Some have said there may be a slime on the roots that could slow a clone down for a day or two but it will grow.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnyblaze

• djay

• oldtimer1

• Machiavelli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

posted by a real scientist

4) The root system in an hydro environment is substantially different

from the roots that develop in plain soil. Can one transplant hydro

raised plants easily into soil or is this a problem?

I recall from experiments here in the Plant biology dept. that they had

huge losses when transplanting agar-raised plants right into soil. The

solution seemed to be an intermediate step of transplanting in coarse

vermiculite.

You see water cloned roots are smooth while soil/aero roots are fuzzy and can cause big poblems as they can't us the media. if your lucky you will stunt it and then it will adapt to fuzzy roots over a peoid off time. also documented in many hydroponic books

not an argument just a well documented fact

Guest The Sheriff

Heh , maybee they should of used a real gardener from here as many have transplanted across most mediums , far from ideal , but needs must and imho gardeners just hate seeing things die , slugs & cabbage white aside of course .

I just got 2 bag's of b and q compost with j i no3.Is this ok to use,say's its got limestone,lime free grit in it.going to pot ma afgan's in new pot's before turning 12/12

• 2 weeks later...

I'm tempted to stop using the All Mix and go for the Westlands + or Homebase seeing as theyre so much cheaper, but how do they compare performance wise?

I'm tempted to stop using the All Mix and go for the Westlands + or Homebase seeing as theyre so much cheaper, but how do they compare performance wise?

IME, most multi-purpose composts will outperform Allmix every time when it comes to plant health and yield and taste. Dropping the Allmix was the best thing I ever did for my grow. But grows differ, and others have good results with Allmix, I hear.

How do the composts tested at the start of the thread compare with the composts designed specifically for Cannabis?

For example, All-mix, Canna Terra Pro (and Pro +), Plagron (Royalty-mix, bat-mix, all-mix etc, Grow-mix)

And which of those do people think perform best?

I'm curious about this myself. I have Canna Terra Pro and I'd really rather find something cheaper but equally good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i have used westland multi purpose with JI for all of my previous grows..and had great success

now neither of my local b&q or homebase are stocking the 50 litre bags..only the little 10L

I was going to give Canna Terra a try,

but then I thought, fuck it cant be any better than the top scorers in the trials

I think ill pick up some West + tomorrow as i know homebase have it in stock

either that or homebase multi purpose i think..or one of the other top scorers. Maybe not the B&Q, not sure. decisions decisions!

Let you know what i decide on

:pirate:

Edited by rokitkrk

Just went to b&q tonight to get some seedling compost with ji 2 in there and they had none at all , they only sold b&q seeding/sowing compost with no sign of any added ji in there ...

The bag was all red if that's any help as i was kinda looking forward to trying this compost out.

Anyone know if this seedling stuff is the same ? should of got a pictures of the packet i think.

Just went to b&q tonight to get some seedling compost with ji 2 in there and they had none at all , they only sold b&q seeding/sowing compost with no sign of any added ji in there ...

The bag was all red if that's any help as i was kinda looking forward to trying this compost out.

Anyone know if this seedling stuff is the same ? should of got a pictures of the packet i think.

I use the "B & Q Compost For Seedlings And Cuttings" which is in a red bag with also no sign of JI (that I can think of), and get fantastic results. It retains water really well and the compost is really fluffy. Pleasure to pot with if that makes sense lol I honestly dont know whether yours is the same compost though. I seem to remember seeing yours aswell :rofl:

@ rokitkrk, I pot up into Westlands Advance + with good success so far. My first real test with these soils will be finished in 2 weeks and sampled in about 6 weeks. Mind you most things will be better than my old B & Q Multipurpose compost I used to use for everything :rofl:

I will add aswell, I am ferting with Bio Bizz Grow and Bio Bizz Bloom once the plants go into flowering. They dont need any ferts until then in my experience B)

Good luck mate.

Edited by namaste666