Gardening Which Compost Trials 08

oldtimer1

oldtimer1
ot1 , i wouldn t mind havin a go at growing some tatties in a pot , Jersey Royals or something the equiv. would any additional fertilizers be required if i were to use one of the reccommended composts from the which guide ? how big a final pot would be required .

Ok JB, here is what I suggest.

Roll down your empty compost bags so they are about 12 inches high fill with 4 inches of spent compost, put in 3 or 4 seed potatoes, cover with 5 or 6 inches of more spent compost, water well.

Poke a few holes in the bottom of the bags with a pencil so the compost can drain.

When the potatoes are about 6 inches to a ft high roll the bag up a bit and cover all the shoots but the top inch or two with compost, repeat until the bag is fully unrolled and full of compost.

After that just let the tops grow.

Water and feed with a tom fertiliser from the start. Never let them get short of water.

Jersey Royals are hard to grow, I would try Charlotte or Anya if you like waxy salad potatoes with taste.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnyblaze

• djay

• oldtimer1

• Machiavelli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

johnyblaze

thanks ot1 , thats magic mate . going to give it a go . only thing is i wont have any spent compost for 2 or 3 months . i do however have a bag of WL MP + JI ( keek formula) and a bag of WL adv+ that are lying around gathering dust . both are unopened so still got all their "chemical" nutrition . i doubt the produce will do me any more harm than commercially available food . unless you say otherwise !!

keep you posted mate .

mentioned in my last post the b&q JI #2 sets like concrete . it s more like a 1/2" crust forms on top after the initial watering-in. after culling some males i emptied out the root balls to find underneath the crust, the compost was soft and crumbly with nice white fuzzy roots . all the plants are looking nice and healthy with just tap water apart from 1 stretchy , lanky looking female i was going to cull . leaves are clawed and not as dark , glossy green . looks nothing like her brothers and sisters , and seems a bit high maintenance for my liking ! we ll see how she smokes.

bought b & q JI #3 for final pots . get pics up over the weekend of the transplanting .

johnyblaze

these are the plants i v mentioned in this thread . been in 5" square pots with b & q JI #2 for approx 4 weeks . watered with plain tap water bubbled for a day or 2 .

planted 10 seeds of each var ; Blueberry x Cherry HP , from an old friend i met on OG and AK47 x SK1 , freebies from G by Luna Seeds .

BB x CHP 8 females / 2 males . AK47xSk1 4 females / 5 males / 1 runt culled .

post-7729-1210463530_thumb.jpg

post-7729-1210464670_thumb.jpg

johnyblaze

couple more pics .

b & qs JI range are far from the cheapests compost around , the #2 does grow MJ pretty well without much hassle . hopefully the #3 flowers as well as #2 grows ! after phoning JAB i v found a local supplier for their products so think i ll be using JAB MP + JI in the future .

post-7729-1210465638_thumb.jpg

post-7729-1210465652_thumb.jpg

johnyblaze

transplanted the females today to 6.5l sq pots with b&q ji#3 . mixed in approx 1l of seers rockdust , 1l perlite (just cause i d got a bag needing used up ) and 11 teaspoons of epsom salts to 60l of sieved compost .

texture of the ji#3 is very similar to ji#2 , sandy and peaty . very heavy compost to lift , maybe thats why b&q only do it in 20l bags . just about put me back out shifting the bucket i sieved 3 x 20l bags into . volumes stated on the bags of both the #2 and #3 have been spot on .

when i transplanted these out the 3" pots with 50/50 : WL adv+ / perlite to 5" sq pots with b&q ji#2 they looked poorly and so did the roots . they were watered-in to their new pots with biomagix for innoculation . the previous pics only show them after they d recovered.

roots pics on the females . wee bit root-bound , lower leaves were yellowing .

post-7729-1210520617_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

cheers Bish .

gave them a couple of weeks to root out the final pots before flowering . pics show them at 21 days 12/12 . feeds now 1ml grow + 3 ml bloom .

post-7729-1213827453_thumb.jpg

post-7729-1213827471_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest The Sheriff

Heya mate , imho a good seeding compost ie from the top and a good final compost , container and large plants one , will see you fine , dont see many going the ji 1,2,3 any more , good luck .

My question is do I need to bother with the compost on the third comparison if I'm growing indica or indica dom plants?

Cannabis is a greedy heavy feeding plant once established, IMHO for best results final potting up should always be in a compost with a full compliment of base fertiliser. So yes a composts in the third category will give the best results for flowering once the plants are fully rooted out in their final pots!