Gardening Which Compost Trials 08

oldtimer1

it also worth mentioning i noticed a load of dead fungus gnats on the floor when i removed the plants to cull. i v read other members had similar experiences

I really like West+ very light and fluffy and the roots love it but the fungus gnat thing is really annoying and bad for the plants, making me consider a switch cos measures against them will get expensive.

I'm using West+ and haven't heard anything about this, the compost bringing gnats into my grow room?!

The gnats are usually down to poor storage by the garden centre (being left out side un-protected etc.) :D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnyblaze

• djay

• oldtimer1

• Machiavelli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, cool.

I saw the dude chuck mine from the pallet onto the shelf then i grabbed it so fingers crossed i'll be fine.

hi OT thanx for this info .. iwas wondering do you use your own worm castings? .. i have a wormery that is located outside so i'm a little hesitant to use the castings indoors .. lol:spliff:

I’m using biobizz worm casts at this time, I do use my own sometimes, when I do, I part sterilize it in the microwave before use indoors. The misses objects to me using the microwave and the ammonium stink it makes.

Hey all... Good thread!

Just wondering if anyones got any info on whether this 'reformulated' B&Q multipurpose composts ok..

Bought 75 litres earlier!

Typical luck its not in the trials..

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Sheriff

Yea i wondered about the west+ not being on the bag but bought three managed the 70ltr bags , the make up imho is very simlar on the bag pictured " it looks darker as is damp one bags in the shed the other , loft" looks more wood flakes in the adv+ but i tend to sieve these out time will tell i guess , hope it preforms like the westies as im a big fan of it & so me plants .

post-26657-1207749197_thumb.jpg

TheTopiarist

I picked some stuff up this week.

£2.49 per 20 litres I believe.

Put my plants into flower yesterday with it, I'll let you know how it goes.

1st immediate observation is that opposed to my Levingtons, it comes very moist. The Levingtons with it's 'waterlock' system is quite dry and crumbly, but when it comes to first water, it holds the water on the surface for about 10 seconds. Which is infuriating, to say the least, especially when you're trying to water 10 plants.

As to whether it holds water longer than any other composts, again, I'll let you know.

I've just picked up a bag of JAB 'Multi-Plus' from my local Wyevales. They only had small 10ltr bags of JAB MP+JI at £2.99 a bag, and this stuff in 35ltr bags for £3.99. Haven't seen it before but it looks very similar to JAB MP+JI, I wonder if it is just a re-marketing/repackaging exercise? Plants will be going into it in a few weeks time, will see how it gets on.

post-22544-1208675861_thumb.jpg

post-22544-1208675870_thumb.jpg

post-22544-1208675949_thumb.jpg

Guest Blabblabberbab

It's not listed on these charts but I've had to change to JAB MP from my tried and tested Gem MP as nowhere seems to stock it anymore (prolly to do with it's high peat content :yinyang: ...sorry environment! I was really dissappointed when I opened the bag, it was really wet and needed loads of sifting + didn't smell great lol BUT the plants I re-potted into it have exploded upwards! :guitar: might buy a small bag of B n Q or homebase MP to see the difference....

Edited by Blabblabberbab

im happy with my JAB mp. (the one without JI )

plant like it :yahoo: ,and for a change i have no gnats :unsure:

I have found that to be a very nice compost too, have never seen the one with Ji for sale near me, but would like to try it sometime to see what it's like.

Anyone using West + noticed that it runs out of nutes really quick?? I potted up from 3.5 ltr to 6.5 and within 10 days i was getting some quite strong Nitrogen defiency.

we have used homebase multipurpose since day one so im not surprised to see it at the top. its fantastic stuff and i would advise anyone to use it!

- we even use it for clones!

mom

x

ot1 , i wouldn t mind havin a go at growing some tatties in a pot , Jersey Royals or something the equiv. would any additional fertilizers be required if i were to use one of the reccommended composts from the which guide ? how big a final pot would be required .

has anybody seen the TV adverts for Miricle Grow Peat Free Organic MP Compost ? cheesy ad like , but i m wondering what it s like for veggies .

edit : also forgot to add the MJ seeds i germed in rw cubes then transferred to 3" round pots with 50% WL advanced+MP/ 50% perlite haven t performed as well as previous seeds i transferred to 100% 07 formula WL MP with added JI . they seemed stunted and a bit overferted . perhaps nutrients are more available in the adv+ than with a JI formula compost . 1 plant that dryed out quicker than the rest looked like a plant in hydro medium that drys out , ie totally fryed by high nutrient concentrations . i v since transplanted them to B & Q JI #2 , top scorer for young plants in the which guide . it s a heavy compost , that sets like concrete! i added a few handfulls of rockdust , some epsom salts and a handfull of perlite . after 10-14 days i started seeing signs of improvement with nice green growth . even though it sets hard , i v found the B&Q JI#2 easy to re -wet with decent drainage (it s contains a fair bit off sand). think i m going to try JAB MP + JI for final pots .

Edited by johnyblaze