hiphop

KToWn

as much as ive always loved public enemy's music. the message behind a lot of their early stuff (the black american political references and raps) went way over my head. 25 years later their music seems so much more relevant to me, its now aimed at disgruntled people of every race and religion from all over the world not just black americans. their last 2 albums have been spot on. and musically still on par with their early stuff too (imo).

edit to add. they also put on a damn good show for a couple of 60 year olds.

Edited by Shogun
  • Like 3

One of the most memorable moments from my Hip Hop days was seeing Public Enemy upstage LL Cool J during the Def Jam tour in Brixton Academy 1987. When the S1Ws came on there was no doubt who was going to bum rush the show. Dope!

• Like 2

i met flavour flav outside the grey area coffee shop around 2003 (ish). he was on his own with his big clock around his neck stoned as fuck. I think he was a bit intimidated when a bunch of drunken scotsmen surrounded him. we tried to get him to come with us but he wasn't up for it, we took some pics and went in different directions.

I wonder where the s1w's are these days? I know terminator x owns and runs an emu farm (could be ostriches).

• Like 1

Was at the hammersmith odeon gig where the dave pearce and crowd samples they used for it takes a nation, and the anniversary one at brixton (with added kool keith) and i was blown away by Chucks energy. Being old is a bit rubbish (unless you're Chuck) but means i can rock the back in the day shit like a right boring codger. Check out Flavors dancing, starts about 1.10.
https://youtu.be/2TN-kDEKxF0

Edited by Applebed
  • Like 1

theres a good documentary on flavour flav on youtube, id post links but still cant get hem to work for some reason.

• Like 1

@ that was happening to me for a bit too. Try copy/paste the address bar rather than the share function. Worked for me. think blocking software messes up share too.
Love Flavor. He wasn't a Bez( no offence to Bez) or just a one trick hype man. One of the most amazing original flows and lyrics, funny as fuck on and off stage (was looking (but not finding) for the clip of him talking to an old woman in Hyde Park, being old school gent respectful. "Young man, why do have a clock around your neck?" "So I know what time it is!) and a crazy great .dancer too. This the doc? Nice one for the recommend!
https://youtu.be/XB6KnOMtWCk

Papoose album is pretty good without a stand out, blow your head off tune, but with 5 or 6 high quality tracks. Some of the youtube vids run a bit slow though. Talks a bit too much shade for me though. Still, got all the skills an MC needs,and a nice variation of production styles.
https://youtu.be/YQU4JlnFq-g

Edited by Applebed
  • Like 1

Not a big hiphop fan but I got to see these at a wedding I attended yesterday, thought they were damn good.

The Going Goods, Dedicated

The Going Goods, Hip Hop Anonymous

Edited by Mephitis
  • Like 2