hiphop

KToWn

Not very up on all the new hip hop but was given a copy of Slam the Poets new album the other day and the kid's got some lyrics in a spoken word kinda vibe. Some nice Jazz and funk breaks to compliment.

Poetry in motion.

• Like 1

I think the nwa movie is gonna be fucking awesome. I remember when I first heard 'straight outta compton' id never heard anything like it, didn't leave my walkman for a long time. the good old days, a 90 minute jvc tape with 'straight outta compton' on one side and 'takes a nation of millions' on the other. sporting a troop shell suit and a raiders starter cap :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N35cBWSeSs

• Like 5

I think the nwa movie is gonna be fucking awesome. I remember when I first heard 'straight outta compton' id never heard anything like it, didn't leave my walkman for a long time. the good old days, a 90 minute jvc tape with 'straight outta compton' on one side and 'takes a nation of millions' on the other. sporting a troop shell suit and a raiders starter cap :).

@@Shogun - shit man. Both those albums changed my life. Although I only picked them up in 89/90 - it was apartheid S. Africa after all. There was an underground record store in central JHB where I'd go to bunk off school - I first heard 'It Takes ...' when a it was played over the shop system because a customer had complained that their copy was skipping. I was in the shop browsing the goth/industrial section. Soon as 'Bring The Noise' dropped I was transformed. Walked out with a copy. Read the liner notes religiously. This was followed by a similar experience with 'Straight Outta Compton' - but before I 'got it' Cube had dropped 'No Vaseline' :)

NC

just found out 'paris' is coming to a venue near me in march. have to say im surprised, paris had his 15 minutes of fame back in the early 90s, very surprised hes touring scotland but ill definitely be there. should be interesting seeing a borderline racist black panther rapping for a white edinburgh crowd. at the end of the day its about the music and paris is a damn good rapper who released imo one of the best albums in hip hop history, 'sleeping with the enemy', a highly underrated album that lands somewhere between 'fear of a black planet' and 'amerikkkas most wanted'.

paris was way ahead of his time with the political stuff he rapped about, hard to believe this track was aimed at the first president bush back in 91/92.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLPX7VHcnes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYEFpMcWcY

• Like 1