hiphop

KToWn

I like that Flatbush zombies track but I couldn't get into their other stuff. I downloaded an album and a mixtape last year sometime. their beats were good and they can definitely rap but their lyrical content was enough for me to give up on them. I cant remember any of the track names but a couple of them really made me cringe, I do remember them rapping quite a bit about sour diesel and acid which I liked but I don't want to hear men rapping about getting their dicks sucked.

im going through one of my phases where im really struggling with hip hop. theres next to nothing interesting me at the moment. lots of folk telling me about schoolboy q but I just cant get into him either. I have a load of stuff downloaded, static selectah, oc & ray west, edo g, to name afew but theres just so much shit to sift through to find the good stuff. thank fuck for threads like this and the dwg forums. ive loved hip hop for 25 years I aint giving up now.

Agree with you @@Shogun. That FZ track is one of the few I like too - and same reasons as you, dick and pussy lyrical content sends me to sleep. I like the beats on the latest Schoolboy Q album, but lyrical content was dull. The only rapper of late who does rap about dicks and pussies that I really like, is Danny Brown.

What is the DWG forum?

And HMM - just incredible! I'm hoping they'll add some UK dates to their current tour. I know Rob Sonic has some lined up :)

What about the new Joey Badass? Have you checked it out yet?

NC

• Like 1

@@NegativeCreep the dwg forums (diggerswithgratitude .com) are a bunch of hip hop vinyl nerds that know everything there is to know about everything there is to know about golden era hip hop. i don't post in the forums much but I still check in to see what hip hop their all ranting and raving about. I used to have a lot of dealings with them when I was buying vinyl years ago.

the guys behind the forum own the dwg record label, they unearth rare and unreleased gems and give them limited vinyl releases, all profits go to the original artists of course.

this is one of their releases. unique - the die hard ep. one of the guys from the forum found a white label record while record digging, they tracked down the artist and found out it was the only one in existence. it got pressed up and released. its easily on par with any big daddy kane or rakim stuff from the same era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RRWIIexfz4

they release some new stuff too, always has an old school vibe to it though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkphnFYri5c

• Like 1

diggerswithgrattitude lol thanks for the link not heard of the site but like the sound of it from ur post alone!

<NSFW>

one to put smiles on faces!

EL-Ps count on his verse is just wow everytime....

diggerswithgrattitude lol thanks for the link not heard of the site but like the sound of it from ur post alone!

<NSFW>

one to put smiles on faces!

EL-Ps count on his verse is just wow everytime....

love this beat real laid back stoner hip hop and danny brown voice just trips me out

• Like 1

@@Shogun - nice one on the forum! I love the principle behind what they do. I'd love them to pick up the Capital STEEZ tape and press a vinyl :D

@@Blunt_Wit and @@DaTokaFromYoka ahhhh what a tune! I love Mr. MFN eXquire - his voice is so sleazy :D

Check this out:

The only disappointment for me is the tech failure on the El-P track.

Despot - make a fucking album already, chump :D

NC

• Like 4

http://youtu.be/beHPZE5ikVw

Great doc featuring most of Ultramagnetic Mc's (but not Kool Keith) Rakim and a bunch of others on genius hip-hop engineer and producer Paul C. Think i might have put this up before but big W.

shiiiit. I never knew about this doc. paul c is thee unsung hero of hip hop imo. a pioneer of sampling and the late 80s hip hop style. such a shame he was murdered in his prime. I spent a lot of years tracking down paul c's records, most of them sell for serious money these days.

im gonna watch this documentary tonight, nice one applebed :yep:

• Like 1

The word genius gets bandied around a lot but Paul C was one. A completely original take on hip-hop production, I don't even think he was in his prime. He was what, 24-25 when he was murdered? Such a fucking shame though when you consider the wotk he left after a few years and the people he helped get started. Stories vary but I believe he produced, not just engineered, Critical Beatdown. as well as the 12"s he did get production credits on. I dont really do favourites but that record has to be my favourite hip-hop album so for me he was the best producer around and would surely be the top man now.