hiphop

KToWn

hijack are fecking amazing, the original and best uk hip hop act. i had the pleasure of seeing them live back in the day. kimanchi sly is on my facebook friends, theres a new hijack album due for release this year, they have resurected a few old uk rappers to appear on thier album, blade, caveman, hardnoise. a few of the rappers making appearances are well out the rap game nowadays, one even being a lawyer but they are rapping again on the new hijack album. i cant wait to hear it to be honest

an little known fact about hijack and a fact im sure they are not to proud of - they were the same group that released - dj pied piper - do you really like it about 10 years ago, kimanchi sly claims he was forced into making that record

• Like 1

Guest ickiwoo

Is it a lie when you know it was true.

Fucking wicked mate cheers for posting

:yinyang:

My friend is very talented me thinks writes his own shit.clever man

• Like 1

okay, time for some nerdy facts about some of the tunes and artists in the last few posts.

biz markie - around about 1990 the american goverment felt very threatened by the success of hip hop, the fact that groups like nwa and public enemy were being embraced by white suburban kids scared the establishment, ice t even got a mention in a presidential speach. thats when sampling rights and royalties were introduced into the music industry. the fbi was behind all this, they thought that stopping rappers being able to sample other peoples music to make thier own music would wipe out hip hop. then biz markie released his album 'i need a haircut' for which he had not cleared any of the samples, poor guy went to jail for a couple of years as a result. his next album was titled 'all samples cleared'

in my opinion this was the start of the down fall of hip hop, lots of albums that would have been classics were shelved in the early 90s due to not being able to clear samples. theres lots of unreleased albums from this era, ultramagnetic mc's, lord finnesse etc. thats when rap music started sampling pop music and everything changed

dj shadow and zack de la roca - these 2 put together an album around 2000, for some reason it has never been released, i think this would have been a fucking amazing album, like a kind of rap version of rage against the machine, hopefully it gets a release one day

jvc force - strong island - if you can find the blue label promo of this 12" its worth around $1000

slick rick - slick rick is an illegal imigrant in the usa, he's actually from london but refuses to move back there. he donated almost all the money (millions) he made from his early albums to his local hood in new york, the whole area was modernised with his money but thats not recognised by the goverment and they wont give him a green card, instead he has spent around 20 years in jail just for not having a green card, he has been released once or twice but thrown straight back in again.

he also lost his eye as a result of a nife fight with his neighbour, why he wears an eye patch

the d.o.c. - him and ice cube wrote all of easy e's lyrics and also all the lyrics for nwa's straight outta compton, and the doc wrote the whole of nwas second album himself. he tore his wind pipe in a car accident which ruined his career. he was also an official original member of nwa but for some reason only rapped on one or two tracks, damn good rapper imo

x-clan - proffessor x (lamumba carson) who died a couple of years ago was the son of 'sonny carson', a famous reformed gang maember from new york, the subject and star of the 70s film 'the education of sonny carson' a few years ago proffessor x must have been desperate for money because he had auctions on ebay where you could meet him and go for a meal with him lol, he also auctioned off all his old records of which i have a few in my collection, nice rare test presses :stoned:

great post man thanks for the knowledge,though i thought slick rick has an eye patch from broken glass as an infant. :yinyang:

Edited by piffy
  • Like 1

hijack are fecking amazing, the original and best uk hip hop act. i had the pleasure of seeing them live back in the day. kimanchi sly is on my facebook friends, theres a new hijack album due for release this year, they have resurected a few old uk rappers to appear on thier album, blade, caveman, hardnoise. a few of the rappers making appearances are well out the rap game nowadays, one even being a lawyer but they are rapping again on the new hijack album. i cant wait to hear it to be honest

an little known fact about hijack and a fact im sure they are not to proud of - they were the same group that released - dj pied piper - do you really like it about 10 years ago, kimanchi sly claims he was forced into making that record

Didn't they sign for Ice Ts label released a few tracks over there and faded away. There was so much cooperate energy devoted into exploiting the rap game back then anyone Indy got swallowed up. But the music that came out like Dre and Snoop was so good no one else stood a chance "in 19 muthafuckin 93 I'm fucking up every Nigga known in the industry"

And so it was

E2a :stoned:

Edited by lovemaryj71
  • Like 2

great post man thanks for the knowledge,though i thought slick rick has an eye patch from broken glass as an infant. :yinyang:

thats possibly the real story, the stories in hip hop connection and the source from back in the day said it was afight with his neighbour, maybe a sales gimmock, who knows. he definately doesnt wear an eye patch on any of his earliest photos, the cover of his first album or his early rap career with doug e fresh

Didn't they sign for Ice Ts label released a few tracks over there and faded away. There was so much cooperate energy devoted into exploiting the rap game back then anyone Indy got swallowed up. But the music that came out like Dre and Snoop was so good no one else stood a chance "in 19 muthafuckin 93 I'm fucking up every Nigga known in the industry"

yeah mate, ice-t signed them to rhyme syndicate records but thier music didnt go down too well in the states. dj supreme left the group in 92 splitting the group, they returned without dj supreme a couple of years later under the name 'mr pink and mr blonde' released a couple of records then split, kimanchi sly has continued to release music ever since, he has never left the scene. they all reformed for that terrible pied piper house track and then split again. and now they are back together recording a new album. dj supreme is recognised as being the inventor of several scratch techniques. his techniques were years ahead of thier time. he did scratches on 'style wars' in 1986 that were never done by any other dj again until the mid 90s when mix master mike and q-bert dominated the turntablist scene

• Like 2

some very old school, scott la rock and the celebrity 3, this is pre boogie down productions and the celebrity 3 consists of krs one, levi 167 and another rapper i cant remember, this isnt actually that good a track but its a piece of hip hop history and a very rare record. this is before the days of rapping over break beats, its all drum machine beats, personally i prefer rapping over breakbeats, thats when hip hop really moved to another level. you can thank ultramagnetic mcs for pioneering sampled breakbeats, which is used today in 75% of music from oasis to rhiana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS1b8qBlXJQ

• Like 3

another piece of sampling controversy, schoolly d with signifying rapper, this was released in 1987 (i think) it samples led zepplin / robert plant, at the time robert plant did what he could to stop this record but failed because there was no copyright laws regarding samples back then, he went public criticising sampling and rap music, claiming rap music was a fad and should not even be considered music, well 10 years later when the price was right he liscenced the exact same sample to puff daddy, had his name featured in the title and even appeared in the video

technicaly this isnt a rap tune, its a spoken word tribute to 1940s record called 'signifying monkey' but its good and schoolly d did some great music

the puff daddy record, im not a puff daddy fan at all, i think when he started introducing pop music samples to his music that had a negative impact on hip hop and changed its direction for the worse, i do like the stuff he did with biggie though