hiphop

KToWn

okay, time for some nerdy facts about some of the tunes and artists in the last few posts.

biz markie - around about 1990 the american goverment felt very threatened by the success of hip hop, the fact that groups like nwa and public enemy were being embraced by white suburban kids scared the establishment, ice t even got a mention in a presidential speach. thats when sampling rights and royalties were introduced into the music industry. the fbi was behind all this, they thought that stopping rappers being able to sample other peoples music to make thier own music would wipe out hip hop. then biz markie released his album 'i need a haircut' for which he had not cleared any of the samples, poor guy went to jail for a couple of years as a result. his next album was titled 'all samples cleared'

in my opinion this was the start of the down fall of hip hop, lots of albums that would have been classics were shelved in the early 90s due to not being able to clear samples. theres lots of unreleased albums from this era, ultramagnetic mc's, lord finnesse etc. thats when rap music started sampling pop music and everything changed

dj shadow and zack de la roca - these 2 put together an album around 2000, for some reason it has never been released, i think this would have been a fucking amazing album, like a kind of rap version of rage against the machine, hopefully it gets a release one day

jvc force - strong island - if you can find the blue label promo of this 12" its worth around $1000

slick rick - slick rick is an illegal imigrant in the usa, he's actually from london but refuses to move back there. he donated almost all the money (millions) he made from his early albums to his local hood in new york, the whole area was modernised with his money but thats not recognised by the goverment and they wont give him a green card, instead he has spent around 20 years in jail just for not having a green card, he has been released once or twice but thrown straight back in again.

he also lost his eye as a result of a nife fight with his neighbour, why he wears an eye patch

the d.o.c. - him and ice cube wrote all of easy e's lyrics and also all the lyrics for nwa's straight outta compton, and the doc wrote the whole of nwas second album himself. he tore his wind pipe in a car accident which ruined his career. he was also an official original member of nwa but for some reason only rapped on one or two tracks, damn good rapper imo

x-clan - proffessor x (lamumba carson) who died a couple of years ago was the son of 'sonny carson', a famous reformed gang maember from new york, the subject and star of the 70s film 'the education of sonny carson' a few years ago proffessor x must have been desperate for money because he had auctions on ebay where you could meet him and go for a meal with him lol, he also auctioned off all his old records of which i have a few in my collection, nice rare test presses :stoned:

Edited by Shogun
  • Like 5

jvc force - strong island - if you can find the blue label promo of this 12" its worth around $1000

sold my records in the late 90s and had that promo sold it for about a fiver :headpain:

Groove Records was sooo good for beats!

• Like 2

sold my records in the late 90s and had that promo sold it for about a fiver :headpain:

someone got a good deal mate, even in the late 90s that one was worth big big money. jvc force also have an unreleased album from the early 90s, shelved due to samples not being cleared. there was an ep released last year on 'chopped herring records' with some of thier un released stuff, unfortunately i missed it when it came out and it aint cheap to buy now :(

• Like 1

are you talking about liberty groove records, the shop that jonny f and his mum ran? im not too clued up on london record shops but i know that one.

Edited by Shogun
  • Like 1

someone got a good deal mate, even in the late 90s that one was worth big big money. jvc force also have an unreleased album from the early 90s, shelved due to samples not being cleared. there was an ep released last year on 'chopped herring records' with some of thier un released stuff, unfortunately i missed it when it came out and it aint cheap to buy now :(

With represses you'll never know if it is that original or just a well faked copy. My mate decided to rebuy his record collection a few years ago and was cursed with represses! There is actually a book out somewhere that tells you all the info on the original pressings Unfortunately the bootleggers also now have that info.

:stoned:

• Like 1

okay, time for some nerdy facts about some of the tunes and artists in the last few posts.

biz markie - around about 1990 the american goverment felt very threatened by the success of hip hop, the fact that groups like nwa and public enemy were being embraced by white suburban kids scared the establishment, ice t even got a mention in a presidential speach. thats when sampling rights and royalties were introduced into the music industry. the fbi was behind all this, they thought that stopping rappers being able to sample other peoples music to make thier own music would wipe out hip hop. then biz markie released his album 'i need a haircut' for which he had not cleared any of the samples, poor guy went to jail for a couple of years as a result. his next album was titled 'all samples cleared'

in my opinion this was the start of the down fall of hip hop, lots of albums that would have been classics were shelved in the early 90s due to not being able to clear samples. theres lots of unreleased albums from this era, ultramagnetic mc's, lord finnesse etc. thats when rap music started sampling pop music and everything changed

dj shadow and zack de la roca - these 2 put together an album around 2000, for some reason it has never been released, i think this would have been a fucking amazing album, like a kind of rap version of rage against the machine, hopefully it gets a release one day

slick rick - slick rick is an illegal imigrant in the usa, he's actually from london but refuses to move back there. he donated almost all the money (millions) he made from his early albums to his local hood in new york, the whole area was modernised with his money but thats not recognised by the goverment and they wont give him a green card, instead he has spent around 20 years in jail just for not having a green card, he has been released once or twice but thrown straight back in again.

he also lost his eye as a result of a nife fight with his neighbour, why he wears an eye patch

the d.o.c. - him and ice cube wrote all of easy e's lyrics and also all the lyrics for nwa's straight outta compton, and the doc wrote the whole of nwas second album himself. he tore his wind pipe in a car accident which ruined his career. he was also an official original member of nwa but for some reason only rapped on one or two tracks, damn good rapper imo

x-clan - proffessor x (lamumba carson) who died a couple of years ago was the son of 'sonny carson', a famous reformed gang maember from new york, the subject and star of the 70s film 'the education of sonny carson' a few years ago proffessor x must have been desperate for money because he had auctions on ebay where you could meet him and go for a meal with him lol, he also auctioned off all his old records of which i have a few in my collection, nice rare test presses :stoned:

Thanks for the info bro :yep: A little more knowledge gained... Cant believe Biz went to jail for years!

Zion86 :hippy:

• Like 1

are you talking about liberty groove records, the shop that jonny f and his mum ran? im not too clued up on london record shops but i know that one.

No it was just called Groove Records it was in Greek Street in Soho and was a dusty lil gold mine :stoned:

• Like 1

With represses you'll never know if it is that original or just a well faked copy. My mate decided to rebuy his record collection a few years ago and was cursed with represses! There is actually a book out somewhere that tells you all the info on the original pressings Unfortunately the bootleggers also now have that info.

:stoned:

your right mate theres bootlegs everywhere, info is all over the net on how to spot bootlegs, i used to know how to spot boots of most rare records but thats info i have forgotten, theres lots of tricks to telling, no barcodes on most records prior to 1990, theres an 'src' stamp in the run out grooves of most original pressings, parental advisory warnings were stickers prior to 1990, reissues they were printed on the cover. theres even more nerdy ways to tell but you can always tell

• Like 1

No it was just called Groove Records it was in Greek Street in Soho and was a dusty lil gold mine :stoned:

you just dont get shops like that anymore, shame really, there was nothing better than getting your fingers all sore and dusty diggin through crates of vinyl.

the shop i thought you were on about was in tooting, its one of the few london record shops i had dealings with, i used to deal with them over the phone (before the days of the net) the old woman who worked in there used to know everything about hip hop vinyl, it was surreal, some old lady telling you about promos, test pressings and what was going on with rappers in new york. she later died and jonny (her son) sold up, i ended up buying a shit load of thier stock when they closed down.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info bro :yep: A little more knowledge gained... Cant believe Biz went to jail for years!

Zion86 :hippy:

I got Grandmaster Flashes autobiography in pound land a while back. For a pound it was a no brainier but boy did that man get fucked over! The record company the furious 5 his mum his dad all had a piece of him! Sugarhill where scandalous back then all there artists where exploited with drugs and Chinese whispers! A cut throat business full of exploitation and broken promises! Sad story cos Grandmaster Flash is as much a pioneer as Cool Herc or any of the Old school yet ended up a broken crack head.

:doh:

Edited by lovemaryj71
  • Like 1

you just dont get shops like that anymore, shame really, there was nothing better than getting your fingers all sore and dusty diggin through crates of vinyl.

the shop i thought you were on about was in tooting, its one of the few london record shops i had dealings with, i used to deal with them over the phone (before the days of the net) the old woman who worked in there used to know everything about hip hop vinyl, it was surreal, some old lady telling you about promos, test pressings and what was going on with rappers in new york. she later died and jonny (her son) sold up, i ended up buying a shit load of thier stock when they closed down.

It won't be long before there is no where on a high street to buy music like the old days! I could spend hours sifting through records looking for a gem and patience I found generally paid off. I met this group of lads in Groove one Saturday afternoon they dropped this tune about a year later if memory serves :stoned:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=related&v=UPWz3Eil3qc

:yinyang:

Edited by lovemaryj71

I got Grandmaster Flashes autobiography in pound land a while back. For a pound it was a no brainier but boy did that man get fucked over! The record company the furious 5 his mum his dad all had a piece of him! Sugarhill where scandalous back then all there artists where exploited with drugs and Chinese whispers! A cut throat business full of exploitation and broken promises! Sad story cos Grandmaster Flash is as much a pioneer as Cool Herc or any of the Old school yet ended up a broken crack head.

:doh:

theres very few rappers that didnt get fucked over in the 80s, they were all just kids that didnt know any better. very few rappers from back then own the rights to thier own music, the big nasty record labels own everything :spliff: kool herc is probably the one that was most fucked over, kool herc and coke la rock created hip hop, no question about that, and he has officially never recieved one single cent from the music industry. there was a collection fund running online for kool herc last year, he was seriously ill in hospital and couldnt pay any of his medical bills.

grand master flash is still touring the world dj'ing, his entourage stole all my mates records when they dj'd at a club together a few years back :smokin:

• Like 2