More Timer Failure. Or Contactor, Or Both.

The LaydeKillas

About 20 minutes a go i've just realised one of my lights didn't go out and has been on for 21 hours. i'm at a loss as to why...

I'm running 2x 1m2 flowering budboxes next to each other. The plan is, as one turns off, the other turns on as they're both ventilated by the same 200mm fan. BOTH boxes use 400w digi ballasts, both with their own contactor relay and grasslin analogue timer.

The box that stayed on is 5 weeks into flower.

I'm at a loss as to why this would happen, can anyone venture a guess?

Just to recap. Light stays on, 400w digi ballast, 1000w contactor relay, grasslin timer (which seems to be still working). I'm confused.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The LaydeKillas

• prawn

• Rastajedi

• Davey Jones

I've must have gone through half a dozen timers this year, both analogue and digital.

The power for the ballasts and the one 200mm fan is drawn from one socket with its own RCB, (so if theres a problem with either light or fan, the RCB will shut it all down)

The power for the two timers is drawn from a different socket.

i guess its a process of elimination, switch over the timers and see if the other box stays on, if it does you know its fubar :)

The first thing i did was switch the offending timer manually to 'off'. The light stayed on.

So I unplugged the bugger. The light stayed on.

so I reached round the back, (it's a tight squeeze in my spare room), and pulled the ballast plug from the contactor relay, and the light finally goes out.

Edited by The LaydeKillas

I take the timer into another room and test it with another appliance, and it seems to be functioning fine.

Theres the puzzle.

It's worked fine for the last 3 weeks!

Just to recap.

The light fails to go out.

The timer is switched to off but the light stays on.

The timer is physically unplugged, but the light stays on.

The ballast is unplugged from the relay, the light goes out, (as it must).

Edited by The LaydeKillas

lol

I 'aint. It's all been working fine, until tonight!

I gave the wiring abit of thought, having been let down by so many timers previous. At one point I had all the power drawn from the one socket but thought maybe the surge of the ballasts turning on was screwing up my timers.

So now its all run from two sockets. One socket has a RCB to a 4-way extention into which is plugged 2x power for contactors and 1x fan power, (which is constantly running). From the other socket is another 4-way which connects to the 2x timers only.

Hope that makes sense.

can you get your hands on another contactor?

or open up the plug etc. see if every thing is where it should be?

Edited by prawn

can you get your hands on another contactor?

or open up the plug etc. see if every thing is where it should be?

Thats were my suspicion fall now. The other side of my grow has just turned off as normal.

It would seem so. Bleedin' nuisance.

What would make a contactor relay just stop working?

Answers on a postcard to...