• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randalizer

• Felix Dzerzhinsky

• Arbuscule

• Davey Jones

Phew I put about the right amount in. I'm only slightly smaller than e1976 but have ladylike artistic hands lol , so if I offset stature against slender hands I amount to about a 'British Standard Handful' and I stuck two slightly cupped handfuls into c15ltrs of compost ready to pot up

How did I miss this one yesterday ? You guys are priceless

Thank you for making me smile, though I know that's not the purpose of this forum :doh:

Regards,

Arbuscule

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Nice thread. I thought I might jump in here. Soil (I'm an indoor/organic/soil kinda guy) has been my last field of growing knowledge that I have taken on. So all the discussions here have been quite enlightening. Not to mention my girls, while doing well, could be doing better especially towards the end of flowering.

I have been adding dolomite to me soil since the beginning. I'm just now (today!) starting to add kelp meal and Sul Po Mag (langbenite, sulfer, potassium, magnesium). I'm also starting to get my soil sit wet for a bit after mixing (I mix in a compost tumbler bin).

so. Do I need rock dust then? I'm a yank and had Azomite recommended to me. I like the fact that it is advertised as a powder (but how fine eh?) as I have to grind my dolomite and Sul Po Mag and then seive them. Just so folks know, I've been using a coffee grinder for over a year with good results.

As soon as I get me soil sorted, I will post results. Most likely i will start a grow diary as I have posts all over the place here.

Also some advice please? How short a time can I let the soil sit while wet to allow healthy organisms to start to flourish? Other comments?

cheers!

2 weeks seems to be the min, keep it warmish and air it now and then... Its well documented.

just a question for you if I may Randalizer bach, why do you not use the American forums? I've found them to be hugely informative but aren't that suited to me because of the different terminology, weights n stuff. I'd av thought its the same for you here, I know you had a few questions on rock dust, I did try to help you with the grinding question but to no avail

cheers

I Zimbra

I'd suggest leaving your compost sitting at least two weeks, I leave mine sitting for anything up to 3 months. It does help if you inoculate with beneficial bacteria as you then know you have the right species florishing. It's not worth inoculating with VAM fungi as they need live roots to form a symbiotic relationship.

The seaweed meal will start to be broken down by bacteria in the compost (idealy the ones you've inoculated the compost with) but the minerals (Rockdust, Rock Phosphate, Mearl) will need active mycorrhizal fungi to utilise them, this is particularly import for Phosphorous as it's practically insoluble so needs either mycorrhizal fungi or phosphorous solubilising bacteria. The fungi are preferable as they deliver it directly into the roots.

When mixing compost with seaweed meal the compost will take on a slight smell of the sea but this completely changes over the next few weeks as the microbes digest that meal and convert it into useful plant nutrients. When opening a bag that has sat for a while the smell has become far more earthy and completely lost the smell of the sea.

Ideally leave the compost sitting in bags that can breathe, woven polypropelyne sacks are good for this.

2 weeks seems to be the min, keep it warmish and air it now and then... Its well documented.

Thanks! uhh, could you point me in the direction of aforementioned documentation please?

just a question for you if I may Randalizer bach, why do you not use the American forums? I've found them to be hugely informative but aren't that suited to me because of the different terminology, weights n stuff. I'd av thought its the same for you here,

well the short answer is limited time for research really. I stumbled onto the UK420 url from 420chan/weed/ and and loved all the well organized info here. I want to explore the american sites but am getting the info I need here. From my limited exposure to the american sites, the soil questions are not so easily answered. And my paranoia likes being on a web site in another country. :smoke:

I know you had a few questions on rock dust, I did try to help you with the grinding question but to no avail

cheers

I Zimbra

No worries. As mentioned the coffee grinder is doing well enough for now. And with the the Azomite powdered rock dust, I may have no need for any grinding.

cheers!

I'd suggest leaving your compost sitting at least two weeks, I leave mine sitting for anything up to 3 months. It does help if you inoculate with beneficial bacteria as you then know you have the right species florishing. It's not worth inoculating with VAM fungi as they need live roots to form a symbiotic relationship.

The seaweed meal will start to be broken down by bacteria in the compost (idealy the ones you've inoculated the compost with) but the minerals (Rockdust, Rock Phosphate, Mearl) will need active mycorrhizal fungi to utilise them, this is particularly import for Phosphorous as it's practically insoluble so needs either mycorrhizal fungi or phosphorous solubilising bacteria. The fungi are preferable as they deliver it directly into the roots.

When mixing compost with seaweed meal the compost will take on a slight smell of the sea but this completely changes over the next few weeks as the microbes digest that meal and convert it into useful plant nutrients. When opening a bag that has sat for a while the smell has become far more earthy and completely lost the smell of the sea.

Ideally leave the compost sitting in bags that can breathe, woven polypropelyne sacks are good for this.

wow! excellent! Thank you so very much!!! :smoke:

So I've just updated my profile so it now reflects my current soil blend (or do you folks call it compost at this point?). I mix all the ingrediants in a compost tumbler (it's a round plastic tub that revolves easily) and then just shove the mix in the pots, water it down and let it soak for an hour or less before replanting. This has been working fairly well, although my harvests (SOG here) are a bit sporadic. Some are gigantic, some less so.

Now then. It seems like the system you folks have is a bit different as it seems like you folks would let the mix get wet and then set for two weeks min. Am I getting that right? Is there a good thread on this site that starts with the basics. My apologies for asking but it takes such a long time to scan all the info in this site and I get distracted easily. :headpain:

many thanks!

Edited by Randalizer

true enough randalizer bach, I know what you mean bout the :wassnnme: I would point you in the direction but I'm a computer dunce and proud of it! Give me a set of spanners any day! Anyway on gardens cure a bloke called organic (might be a lassy) put some great posts on compost and mixes, years old but informative. Not that this site isn't mind you I'm just thinking you could get the same products as they use more easily

true enough randalizer bach, I know what you mean bout the :yahoo: I would point you in the direction but I'm a computer dunce and proud of it! Give me a set of spanners any day! Anyway on gardens cure a bloke called organic (might be a lassy) put some great posts on compost and mixes, years old but informative. Not that this site isn't mind you I'm just thinking you could get the same products as they use more easily

Thanks I! Thats enough info to get me going in the right direction. I'll get on over to an american site soon enough, but I want to repay you fine UK folks by setting up a diary. I'm having such great success with me garden and what I have learned here will take me garden from good to awesome (american slang y'know).

cheers! :pirate:

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know how to get rockdust in the states? I've sent numerous emails to Seers and the email address they provide on their site for customers outside of the US but I have heard nothing. Thanks~Skeeter

Does anybody know how to get rockdust in the states? I've sent numerous emails to Seers and the email address they provide on their site for customers outside of the US but I have heard nothing. Thanks~Skeeter

Have a look at some of Randalizer's threads or posts as he mentions a product or is recommended one by OT that's in the States.