A Quick Comparison Between Rockdusts

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Hi,

If particle size is the most important factor in the rockdust, then can you just powder the enitre batch in an electric coffee grinder or mortar and pestle?

I have never felt rockdust, but surely you could reduce the particle size quite easily?

Just a thought

bAb

Edited by buildAbong

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randalizer

• Felix Dzerzhinsky

• Arbuscule

• Davey Jones

Here you go Scoobs, here's a whole bag :headpain:

I have never felt rockdust, but surely you could reduce the particle size quite easily?

I don't think your coffee grinder will last long, this is basalt rock you'd be trying to grind. Someone posted a picture of a rock crusher somewhere but it looked like a lot of work.

If you are going to sift rockdust with a flour sieve be aware that it produces a fair amount of very fine dust that really irritates your nostrils and tastes gritty.

Hi Felix... thanks for the pennies!

I'm sorry but could you give us a Rockdust Guide for Dummies Version?

I'm interested for my new babes.

Could you kinda explain how much, when, where etc... so that a 7 year old could understand?

....gawdammit Felix ALL these pennies are bent too :headpain:

OK thanks VRG my mistake

Thanks Arbuscle

And scoobs its easy

250-300 grams per 6.5 litres of compost

When you take a clone or pot on put a little sprinkle in the planting hole

Two types

Seers

Pinetum

Pinetum is meant to be better its finer

But seers is easier to get

Cant think of out else

I read it was 2 handfuls per 15 litre of soil. How much does a handful weigh?

I read it was 2 handfuls per 15 litre of soil. How much does a handful weigh?

Same here

Duno wot a handful weighs

how big are OT's hands then as it was him I think who said 2 handfuls ...

in the interest of science Im going to weigh a handful and post the results here, if you just excuse me whilst I shuffle off to my lab.

ok for scientific purposes ... im about 6'2" weigh about 13.5-14 stone I would say I have lightly larger than national average mans hands becuase of my size.

A normal handul (medium) would be about 150g (x 2 = 300g per 15 litres)

A cupped slightly heaped handful (large) would be about 250g (x 2 = 500g pre 15 litre)

this is per 15 litres of compost remember.

I flower in 11 litre pots so will probably go with 300g per 11 litre pot.

edit : to make sense

Edited by established1976

Well its rock and weights heavy for a small volume Arnie, it is not perishable, I have tried all sorts of weights per volume of compost, I get best returns by adding between 250 and 300 grams per 6.5 litre pot of compost.

Say four pots per kilo, pinetum’s 24 kilos will do 96 pots. Once used for a grow indoors your spent compost becomes gold dust as a mulch in the garden.

I used to put 1 or 2 handfuls [we are talking cupped] per 15 or so litres of compost. A while back I was mixing up while chatting to my misses and she said to me you have just added and mixed in that stuff in the compost twice, so I marked the pots it went in and yes the plants did a bit better than the rest. So now I use a little pot as a gauge, just full its about 250 grams and heaped about 300. Sorry I’m a bit of a slapper when it comes to measuring things. Any how, I tried adding double ie 500 or 600 grams to a couple of pots, no difference, it did not make things better or worse, to the pots with 250 grams. Sorry if I caused any confusion.