Firefox Search Addon For Uk420

Scribb|e

Shit, I missed this one. I usually use google to search websites. I read the google hackers guide and learned all the commands from there. Scribble... Is there a better source for commands to use in google than this document? I've been wondering.

Sweet little piece of kit this is though. Simplifies things for me. Nice one. Top man. :)

I've also got this sweet little search function on firefox. Where I can type a word in a box at the bottom of my window and it will find those words on the page I'm visiting. Comes in really handy, even on here. Like if I'm searching pages of posts for something specific, I don't have to scroll and scan the whole page trying to see these words. It will transport me straight to what I need if the word/s appear on that page. Comes in really handy when there are thousands of words on a page. Like when you search through google, you find a good match which looks interesting from the snippet comment you get on google. Then when you open the page you have to go through a whole novel to find that thing you just searched for. I just type it in and go straight there. Probably one of the best tools I use. Apart from my spellchecker lol The only little problem is that it activates itself automatically when you hit the keyboard. So I find myself typing in that box when I don't want to. Gotta love firefox and the addons tho.

Nice one Scribble, installing it now.

Edited by Blayz'd

• 2 months later...

On Linux, you need root permissions to move/copy files in system locations. :spliff:

Make sure that you have the relevant packers installed:

sudo apt-get install unzip unrar-nonfree unace

Then, say you've unpacked the .xml files to your Desktop (the addon files inside the ZIPs I prepared that you downloaded from the 1st post in this thread), you'd want to type (or copy and paste lol) when you're in your Desktop folder which you can go to by typing:

cd ~/Desktop

Which means cd (change directory) to ~/Desktop (home/Desktop).

Then type:

sudo mv *.xml /usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins

Which means, sudo (as the root user) mv (move) *.xml (anything .xml) to /usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins.

Restart Firefox - voila. :spliff:

:wassnnme:

Edited by Scribb|e

Ah thanks man - I'll do that later as I'm busy battling fekkin cat fleas right now ... :D

Bloody things have invaded our two cats and dog with a vengeance! Suppose that's town life, really :D 12 years in the sticks and not so much as a tick. One month in town, and its flea central Bah!

Got this reply:

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

unzip is already the newest version.

Package unrar-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by another package.

This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or

is only available from another source

E: Package unrar-nonfree has no installation candidate

Looks like you havent enabled the universal repositories.

Ubuntu mentu > System > Admin > Software sources > Tick universal (2nd box down) and try again.

HTH.

Edited by Its420

I'm not in front of or remoted into an Ububtu box right now, so I can't check for sure, but I reckon that Its420 is probably right - need to enable the 'Universal' repository in Synaptic (it just gives your machine access to a further range of software that's not provided by the Ubuntu people). lol

So long as you have the unzip package, that's the main thing, as that's what you need to unpack the files I've provided that contain the XML firefox addon files.

So it looks like you're good to go, just unpack the XML files from inside the ZIPs onto your Desktop, and then move them just as I described. lol

:yep:

Ah, thats because according to synaptic manager, unrar-nonfree no longer exists.

Theres "unrar" and "unrar-free". So just sudo apt-get install unrar instead

HTH.

So....

mxxx@mxxx-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install unrar

[sudo] password for mxxx:

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:

libsmi2-common libsmi2ldbl libnspr4-dev libc-ares2 liblua5.1-0

Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.

The following NEW packages will be installed

unrar

0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 103kB of archives.

After this operation, 254kB of additional disk space will be used.

Get: 1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com karmic/multiverse unrar 1:3.9.3-1 [103kB]

Fetched 103kB in 0s (279kB/s)

Selecting previously deselected package unrar.

(Reading database ... 126709 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking unrar (from .../unrar_1%3a3.9.3-1_i386.deb) ...

Processing triggers for man-db ...

Setting up unrar (1:3.9.3-1) ...

update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/unrar-nonfree to provide /usr/bin/unrar (unrar) in auto mode.

Then I assumed I needed to backtrack and....

mxxx@mxxx-laptop:~$ cd ~/Desktop

mxxx@mxxx-laptop:~/Desktop$ sudo mv *.xml/usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins

mv: missing destination file operand after `*.xml/usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins'

:wink:

Just realised - Do I need to do the remove bit first now?

Edited by Arnold Layne

mxxx@mxxx-laptop:~$ cd ~/Desktop

mxxx@mxxx-laptop:~/Desktop$ sudo mv *.xml/usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins

mv: missing destination file operand after `*.xml/usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins'

You need to replace "*" with the file you're trying to move. In this case its Uk420 and/or Uk420_Scroogle_ssl.xml. You also need a space between the .xml and /usr/lib parts. Like so :

sudo mv uk420.xml /usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins

sudo mv uk420_scroogle_ssl.xml /usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins

HTH.

[edit] I've just installed them, and theyre not showing up in my firefox so now i need help hahaha

Edited by Its420