Firefox Search Addon For Uk420

Scribb|e

Sometimes the UK420 'Search' function can be a bit clunky for searching the site, especially when you're trying to search for something less than 3 characters long, or when you're trying to do complex searches with + and - and other search terms.

I've written a Search Bar addon for Firefox that allows you to search all of UK420 using Google, but from the convenience of the Firefox Search Bar - all you need to do is download the uk420.xml file below, and for Windows users, just copy and paste the file into the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins directory, in Linux (Ubuntu, anyway, I'm sure that most other distros will be the same) paste into /usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins.

Here's what it looks like installed: post-17181-1187968849_thumb.jpg

Get the file here: Slinky (Right-click on the 'uk420.xml' link & 'Save As' to your hard-drive)

For anyone who's paranoid about using Google to search UK420 (and this is being mightily paranoid, IMO ph34r.gif), I have written one that uses Scroogle instead (which scrapes Google for their searches, and they don't keep search-term records and delete all their access logs within 48 hours) - even better it uses Scroogle's SSL (https) interface so that all search queries will be encrypted as well, so not even your ISP will be able to monitor any searches you make while using it. guitar.gif

UK420_Scroogle_SSL.zip

Same installation instructions apply as with my original Google one:

Windows users, just copy and paste the file into the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins directory.

Linux Firefox users should paste into /usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins

Linux Swiftweasel3 (a totally FOSS build of Firefox, optimised for your specific processor architecture) users should unzip it into /usr/local/swiftweasel3/searchplugins

On Mac OSX, it should be one of the following paths: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/searchplugins or

/Applications/Mozilla.app/Contents/MacOS/searchplugins

I hope that someone finds this useful.

¡Enjoy!

:yinyang:

Edited by Joolz
  • Like 1

Hi Scribble I've just installed it and it works very well and it has already proved useful. As you mentioned it lets you search for words/phrases that are less than three characters, really good. Thanks. Hh. :yinyang:

well played scribble, mate, thisll be really handy for people who want to search for "pH" for example...

i'll have to see if i can install it on my mac, i guess it should be straightforward.

thanks dude! :yinyang:

now if only you could get the hang of seeding on oink. lol:Plol

Edited by MU

how do install it? i've saved it to my program files in firefox plugins. and nothings happened. excuse the poor computer skills :yinyang:

Once the file's in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins - you should then be able to use the UK420 search by clicking on the Firefox Search Bar icon, and then the little canna leaf with 'UK420' next to it should be selectable - just click on it, and then any searches you put into it will search UK420. :yep:

MU - (124)(34) & (258)(80) and still not a peep on those two - I get the feeling it's not coz of mega-seedboxen, you know... :unsure:

:yahoo:

Edited by Scribble

i haven't got a file folder for search plugins. just plugins and thats were it is saved. do i need to turn machine off first. cheers

MU - (124)(34) & (258)(80) and still not a peep on those two - I get the feeling it's not coz of mega-seedboxen, you know... :unsure:

:yahoo:

yeah its a pain isnt it... as ive said before, oink doesnt take any notice of your share ratio until you go over 5GB downloaded, my best advice is to download lots and lots of small files (like albums and ebooks and small apps) up to 4.8ishGB in one go, and then let that lot seed until you get a 1+ ratio. it worked for me mate in a matter of 8 weeks id downloaded over 10GB with a 1+ ratio. its really the only way to do it. DO NOT DOWNLOAD BIG FILES! play the numbers game mate, not all torrents have seedboxes, so you'll seed back maybe 5+ on one torrent and nothing on another torrent... if you've got say 70 torrents in your client, you're gonna seed something. thats the only advice i can give you. download lots and lots of small files.. like mp3 albums at 100MB each for example... ive downloaded some German Courses and theyre seeding back really well. avoid FLAC until you have built a good buffer because FLAC music are large files usually, stick to mp3 albums, apps, elearning, audio books and you'll get there.

the logic's pretty simple. the more torrents you've downloaded = more torrents you have to seed = higher probability of seeding.

trying to build your ratio one file at a time is going to take you months and months of frustrating hard work.

go on a downloading spree, but stay under 5GB total downloaded, and then seed everything youve got. i only delete oink torrents from azureus when they get deleted from the tracker.

anyway, this thread isnt about oink, sorry to go off topic...

Edited by MU

• 1 month later...