Trichoderma Harzianum & Vesicular Arbuscular Mycorrhizas

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Arnold Layne
Sorry Arnold I'm just a humble Network Admin with a geeky interest in Fungi ;) , Amanita will likely know a whole lot more than me :rofl:

Yes, I've seen that response as well and in some plants (mostly full on sats or sat dom hybrids) I also see a drooping of the leaves 3 - 7 days after inoculating at potting up, virtually never happens with Indicas. That would back up your observations with it being strain specific.

Rather than adding the inoculant to the new hole at potting up time I'm now sprinkling the inoculant directly onto the side of the rootball so it comes into contact with the roots immediately, a quick spray of water to help the powder stick to the root ball and then sprinkle some on. Switched to doing it this way because I remember Amanita saying that when the spores germinate the hyphea sent out only grow for very short distances and must find a root to bond to quickly.

This is purely speculation and I expect to end up with egg all over my face when a real expert turns around and says this is rubbish but I'm thinking that during the initial infection stage of the roots by the mycorrhizal fungi their capacity to absorb nutrients and water is degraded before having that capacity then boosted by the expanding hyphal network. Hence the wilting & starvation followed by overfeeding :yinyang: . Does that sound reasonable ?

Are you using the red granules or RootGrow ? The reason I ask is I generally don't observe this response with rootgrow just the red granules, or if it is there when using RootGrow it's far less pronounced. However the granules seem to give much better results than RootGrow, perhaps due to the Trichoderma species and additional bacteria present in the granules ?

Thanks for that Felix - I am using Soil Secrets, the full range bar the rooting jelly stuff. I too have always assumed the stuff Amanita says, about the hyphea etc. So I roll the rootballs in the SS before dropping tem into the hole, which also has a dose in its base.

I am going to try with much reduced feeds this time, see what happens.

yep I was talking bollocks! I think you'd have to have a pretty bad soil for that to happen. Its deffo over fertilization as nutriens locked up in the previous sleepy soil are now much more avalible to the plant thanks to our little friends :)

yep I was talking bollocks! I think you'd have to have a pretty bad soil for that to happen. Its deffo over fertilization as nutriens locked up in the previous sleepy soil are now much more avalible to the plant thanks to our little friends :spliff:

Flowery Haze
Hi FH,

I put less seaweed meal and a lot less pelleted chicken manure into my compost mix, I think the larger rootmass is able to absorb nutrients far more efficiently with Mycorrhizal partners.

Thanks m8.

• 2 weeks later...
Spot on with the RootGrow at each potting up :stoned: you can also mix in a little of the Essence with the RootGrow to populate the roots with the same beneficial bacteria and Trichoderma species.

I can't say i use much on my plants but i do use Rootgrow + usually, although this time i am trying another Vam from Greenage called Rootmate aswell. I can't see the point in using on each pot up though, it is supposed to inhabit the plant and spread as far as i know. I think reapplying would be a waste of money to be honest.

Felix Dzerzhinsky
I can't say i use much on my plants but i do use Rootgrow + usually, although this time i am trying another Vam from Greenage called Rootmate aswell. I can't see the point in using on each pot up though, it is supposed to inhabit the plant and spread as far as i know. I think reapplying would be a waste of money to be honest.

Mycorrhizal fungi only really prosper in loam based compost and need reapplying with each pot up if you are using peat based compost. OT mentions it somewhere but I can't seem to find the post at the mo, so reapplying it is not so much wasting money as essential when using peat based composts lol

Mycorrhizal fungi only really prosper in loam based compost and need reapplying with each pot up if you are using peat based compost. OT mentions it somewhere but I can't seem to find the post at the mo, so reapplying it is not so much wasting money as essential when using peat based composts :unsure:

I remember reading that, something about the bacteria not being able to branch out in the compost so you need to bring the fungi into countact with it at pot up. Also about applying to leaves, you need to apply to all new growth as the fungi won't spread along the leaf's and stems etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Felix Dzerzhinsky

That's a fine looking tea Smeagol, how long you been brewing that one ? Will take your word on the smell :rofl:

just wanna thank felix, Pro and withnail + others who posted comments here, you have all saved my Sativa's and helped my White Widow with this brew! just wanted to show my apprisiation to everyone I LOVE YOU ALL!!! lol:yinyang:lol when i have my harvest i will dedicate it all to you's ^_^

!!!THANK YOU!!!!

I didn't take photo's of the roots, I bloody should have, so sorry bout that. The roots were brown and dying. So I gave her a root prune and re potted using the Plant Magic Granules.

One application of Essence later and is now due it's second dosage.....

post-1701-1209468091_thumb.jpg

post-1701-1209468107_thumb.jpg

post-1701-1209468119_thumb.jpg

She is a bit over due a good prune :smug: But wanted to be sure all new growth was not infected :cheers:

Hope this helps :spliff:

Felix Dzerzhinsky

It's a miracle, it's cured :smug:

That essence is pretty blinding stuff isn't it Webby ? I've yet to see a fungal disease it's unable to cope with.

I've read this thread 3 times over now before asking a stoopid question, but stoopid it is i suppose.

I grow in canna Terra compost and use only biobizz grow and bloom, superthrive (2 drips per 5 litres of water/fert mix) i add nothing to the soil (less stuff to piss about with, less hassles and less to mess up), if i get a dose of the LSF can i buy a tub of canna aktrivator and just pop a teaspoon per 3 litres of water, give it a shake and spray it onto my plants to combat the LSF, or do i HAVE to go through the whole rigmaroll of bubbling it up and adding molasses, seaweed extract etc?

I grow at a m8's and he's not up for me setting up the whole bubbler carry on, i'd do it at mine and take it to the grow room as needed, but i grow at his house coz my mrs is one crazy ocd, psychobitch and would totally freak if i even comtemplated doing it.

Would an alternative to the canna terra compost and an end to my lsf problems for future grows, be, to use canna coco instead of compost?

Intrigued

MoonDoG