Trichoderma Harzianum & Vesicular Arbuscular Mycorrhizas

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Felix Dzerzhinsky
Thankyou Felix!

Ok what product contains the right tricho for foliage?

Thanks,

There used to be a product from soil Secrets called Bio-Life but I don't believe it's still available.

I did notice when applying with a syringe that you obviously don't get any kind of mist and so the water just sits in fairly large droplets on the leaves but I just left mine out of direct light until the water had all evaporated :spliff:

A wetting agent will help spread it further, available from Photographic shops. Someone also suggested a drop of washing up liquid but I aint sure this wont harm the spores? Anyone know for sure?

No disrespect intended Niceone but I wouldn't use a wetting agent myself as it may damage the fungal and bacterial spores. Perhaps OT could say for sure but I'd ere on the side of caution, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I'm hooked. As so many others here, fed up fighting L.S.F. and am fascinated with all this new info. Many thanks to the great fountains of knowledge who've contributed.

Lupes

well, never thought i'd be so entrhalled by twenty odd pages about funghi!

Nice one Felix and everyone else. lots of questions, lots of answers and a good bit o learning. starting my third grow after christmas and i'm gonna put this shit into action. all seems pretty clear but i'm sure i'll have some questions in january.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there a Mycologist in the house ? :execute:

Thanks,

Felix.

Not quite but I used to work for the company that makes rootgrow, and train garden centre staff in its uses. In answer to your origional question I will double check with the company but as I recall trichoderma and mychorizal fungi are mutually antagonistic to some degree which is why rootgrow does not contain trichoderma. The use of trichoderma is somewhat controversial to profesional mushroom growers as it is a dangerous pest to them, it is also resistant to most comercial fungicides.

In adition regarding VAMs and ectos, VAMs are widely utilised by a wide range of plants ectomychoriza are primarily of use to conifers and broard leaved woodland trees most shrubs and almost all herbaceous perennials and anuals do not form interactions with this group of fungi. However if you want to experiment for yourself, the small red sachets of rootgrow contain only VAMs whereas the large purple pouches labeled rootgrow plus also contain Ectos (hence the plus).

Hope this helps, will check out latest research on mychorizal/ trichoderma interactions and get back soon.

Is there a Mycologist in the house ? lol

Thanks,

Felix.

Not quite but I used to work for the company that makes rootgrow, and train garden centre staff in its uses. In answer to your origional question I will double check with the company but as I recall trichoderma and mychorizal fungi are mutually antagonistic to some degree which is why rootgrow does not contain trichoderma. The use of trichoderma is somewhat controversial to profesional mushroom growers as it is a dangerous pest to them, it is also resistant to most comercial fungicides.

In adition regarding VAMs and ectos, VAMs are widely utilised by a wide range of plants ectomychoriza are primarily of use to conifers and broard leaved woodland trees most shrubs and almost all herbaceous perennials and anuals do not form interactions with this group of fungi. However if you want to experiment for yourself, the small red sachets of rootgrow contain only VAMs whereas the large purple pouches labeled rootgrow plus also contain Ectos (hence the plus).

Hope this helps, will check out latest research on mychorizal/ trichoderma interactions and get back soon.

Welcome to UK420

I think thats good information regarding the rootgrow, so cannabis does not benefit from ecto myc. fungi, did I understand that right there.

I think you will find you are most welcome here

EM2

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Hi Amanita,

Nice name :wink: and quite apt :rofl:

Welcome to UK420, what an interesting former job you had. I would be very interested to find out if Trichoderma Harzianum is antagonistic to VAM's as I had previously thought it was only parasitic on sclerotial fungi as well as fusarium, pythium and colletotrichum species rather than gliocladium roseum & VAM's. That would be fantastic to find out for sure.

There are a couple of other Trichoderma species I've heard of that may also suitable for us T. Polysporuns, T. Viride which tolerates lower compost temperatures and the T-39 strain of T Harzianum that thrives on leaf surfaces. Would you happen to be able to find any articles or sources for these ? :bag:

Most of these other Trichoderma species seem only available in the States at the moment but hopefully soon they may be available here. I can get some trade names if that helps.

Welcome aboard and looking forward to some interesting chats.

Hi all,

There's a Factsheet on Trichoderma Polysporum (as well as T Harzianum) here

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticide...heet_128902.htm

It doesn't tell us that much, it's specific to the use of Trichoderma as used on wounds on trees as a treatment for fungal disease. It is reassuring on health: to the environment and to its handlers.

Arbuscule

e2a bit about fungal disease

Edited by Arbuscule

Another link - this one's better as it gives an overview of several taxa of Trichoderma. It addresses Trichoderma Harzianum, Polysperma and lots more.

There's awesome pics if this is helpul - to visualise the wierd fungi we talk about. The text is pitched way above my head, but it should serve as a handy reference

http://nt.ars-grin.gov/taxadescriptions/ke...odermaIndex.cfm

Hope the links're of some use

Arbuscule

Felix Dzerzhinsky

I found a rather interesting paper entitled The Molecular Biology of the Interactions Between Trichoderma spp., Phytopathogenic Fungi, and Plants here pretty snappy title no ?

To cut to the chase it describes amongst other things how Trichoderma locate pathogenic organisms with a kind of chemical sonar. When they detect a pathogen they then increase the output of these chemical locators to actually pin down where the pathogen is. Once located they then grow towards said pathogen and where they deploy an awesome molecular arsenal that can disolve the cell walls of pathogenic fungi, disrupt growth and even cause programmed cell death in their adversaries.

The plant by sensing these Trichoderma metabolites become aware of the approaching battle within the rhizospere and so ramp up their own defensive systems to deal with any incursions that slips past the Trichoderma front line.

There's also an interesting description of how Trichoderma penetrate the first few cellular layes of the roots and then inhibit their own growth. This is quite a different way in which VAM's form a symbiosis with the plant roots.

There are a whole bunch of interesting Trichoderma based articles to be found ASP Journals Trichoderma search results

Guest dr rockster

Wow Felix,I never realised you'd gone so far down the rabbit hole when it came to studying fungi.

More power to your mycelial elbow mate. lol

But trichoderma actually locating pathogens is interesting and programming cell death would imply the taking over of the host cell nuclei wouldnt it?

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Man it's deep I tell you, like staring into the abyss :)

Apparently trichoderma's can induce strong changes in cytosolic CA2+ levels and that can induce programmed cell death :rofl:

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Hi Bajer,

I think we've all been learning on this thread and it's been a real co-operative effort that shows what we can do as a community, so many people can bring different parts of the jigsaw together.

Arbuscule and I recently set to answer the very question you and Amanita pose. I still don't have a definitive answer (Arbuscule are you anywhere nearer answering it ?) but there does seem to be some research that VAM's & T. Harzianum inhibit each others spore germination or possibly hyphae growth :rolleyes:

There is a paper here that details how T. Harzianum actually attacks and breaks down the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi Glomus intraradices. You can get the whole article as a pdf at the top of the page.

I'm still not willing to say one way or the other yet. Perhaps some sort of field trial is in order, 4 sets of clones. A control with no inoculants, 1 set inoculated with RootGrow (VAM's), one inoculated with Trichoderma Harzianum and a final set inoculated with both VAM's and T. Harzianum.

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Haven't got the time yet but here is an abstract of an interesting article on the interactions between AM's and T. Harzianum (full pdf available here ). It seems to suggests VAM's can suppress T. Harzianum on first reading :russian: