Fertile Fibre + Fungi Vs Biobizz Light Mix + Fungi

Om

Hi all,

Right I just potted up.

4 WW's in fertile fibre 2 without fungi, I want to see if there is a difference in fertile fibre with the fungi.

2 BB's with lightmix both with fungi. My BB's preferred light mix, it may be interesting to see the comparison between FF and lightmix. I added fungi to both cos went a bit mad and forgot to leave one out :unsure: Never mind deed is done and they are now sunning themselves on the costa planta.

I will keep you informed as to their status.

Bu is also part of this experiment to check out fertile fibre as a viable growing medium for our little darlings and he will bo doubt make comment shortly when he gets up out of the pit :spliff:

Om.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Om

• Bu

• Arnold Layne

• Nitramkram

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers for that Om..I did finally get my hairy arse out of the pit!! :unsure:lol

I too am trying out "Fertile Fibre" but I'm not doing a comparison as my 3 PoG's and 3 Afghan x Cali's are in all in 6ltr pots with a little "Rootgrow" innoculant to help things along. I have also germed some Reeferman seeds aswell to check for germinating suitability.

For folks not familiar with "Fertile Fibre" it is a peat free medium using coconut fibres with a trace of vermiculite all bolstered with added nutrients for a few weeks growth. As it is made from a bi-product and not using any peat whatsoever it helps conserve the peat reserves. ;)

After a week from re-potting the roots are showing very nicely and as the plants are only 15" tall I'll probably leave them in these pots for the entirety of the grow and I've noticed I get an extra day comparatively between waterings due to it's more retentive nature without any shrinkage around the edge of the pots.

As Allmix and JAB can be a little "hot" for sowing seeds in I thought I'd try sowing direct into the Fertile Fibre and after a week they are doing fine so another bonus.

This is not a grow diary as such, just a report on the Fertile fibre and it's use for our fave herb and the idea of me and Om (Om's idea) doing a dual grow is to compare results and get broader spectrum results, hopefully! ;)

I'm tired now!!

Cheers,

Bu.

;)

Good Morning Bu and well put I might say.

Fertile Fibre maybe an alternative but as yet little seems to be known about its growing potential. Bu's idea to start this topic will hopefully open a few alternative avenues as yet formerly explored on this forum.

Time will tell, just hope I can keep it together to record what transpires lol thats why Bu is here lol

If anybody else is using Fertile Fibre than please join in the confusion lol

Om :wassnnme:

will be looking forward to see the results of this one Om good look mate :wassnnme:

Well you were part of the reason I started, like thinking minds. Too much interest in the compost to ignore it. Arnie also mentioned it and now he is recovering hopefully he too will join in the topic.

Good to be here.

Om lol

Im very intrested in this one!

Keep us informed Mate :wassnnme:

Bom!

Hello Bom

We will try to level an unbiased report mate but you know how it is lol

Om

Edited by Om

Om and Bu are you going to do pictures?

I'm interested in how this goes as you are the first to report on ff.

I'm also interested in how the two types of inoculent do in ff as the only report we have to date was RD/EO's grow useing coir/rootgrow.

Om and Bu are you going to do pictures?

I'm interested in how this goes as you are the first to report on ff.

I'm also interested in how the two types of inoculent do in ff as the only report we have to date was RD/EO's grow useing coir/rootgrow.

I know Bu has a digital camera I however keep getting out bided on eBay lol but yes it is our intention to take pictures.

It will be interesting to see if there is any difference between the two inoculants. I still remain a little sceptical about using the fungi over such a short period of time which is part of the reason why some have not been inoculated. It remains to be seen if just caring for the plants generally is the best tonic of all. I suspect that it’s the decline of our planets environmental health that has generated the interest in the fungi within the horticultural community. In our little grow rooms the plants get only the best so do they really need the inoculant and is it cost effective. Time will tell.

Om :yinyang:

I know Bu has a digital camera I however keep getting out bided on eBay ;) but yes it is our intention to take pictures.

It will be interesting to see if there is any difference between the two inoculants. I still remain a little sceptical about using the fungi over such a short period of time which is part of the reason why some have not been inoculated. It remains to be seen if just caring for the plants generally is the best tonic of all. I suspect that it’s the decline of our planets environmental health that has generated the interest in the fungi within the horticultural community. In our little grow rooms the plants get only the best so do they really need the inoculant and is it cost effective. Time will tell.

Om :wassnnme:

I am almost convinced you will see a difference OM, we used rootgrow in coir but did none without as a comparison.

;)

But the plants were showing roots only 3 days after potting on with the added rootgrow, which seems a little bit faster than normal.

I am about to take some cuts for me next grow so will do a comparison grow in allmix.

Good luck with this grow BU and OM.

EO

I know Bu has a digital camera I however keep getting out bided on eBay :ouch: but yes it is our intention to take pictures.

Om lol

Hey I won at last just hanging out for the right price.

Om :spliff:

Ok Details first;

Pot Size: 15 litre

Soil: 2 x Lightmix

Soil: 4 x Fertile Fibre

Nutes: Biobizz

Lights: 20/4, 2 x 400w navTplus

Water: RO filtered

Weapon: Stengun Hawkins fine rose watering can

The plants are all now 1 week on from the final repotting. The plants average about 300mm or 12" for us oldn’s in height growing around 10-20mm per day. I have fed all plants as Bu is just using water for the beginning. Yesterday I gave each of the plants 1 litre of water with 1ml of biobizz algamic and grow. All plants appear healthy, 2 however both WW's in FF are not quite so upright but fine nevertheless.

The 2 plants in biobizz have already shown signs of root growth at the base of the pots. The fertile fibre did shrink away from the edge of the pots at the beginning probably due to the fact they were not compacted. However after the first watering they have stopped shrinking away from the side as I suspect they have now compacted themselves.

This is only an observation but the lightmix girls are looking slightly better but I fear at this early stage of the game it would be premature for it to be more than just an observation. The two WW's in fertile fibre who fail to stand totally upright appear to have a slight leaf curl downwards on the tips and have done since the beginning not sure why but they are fine and growing with the rest.

I have taken some pictures the first 3 are WW.s. the last 3 are BB's

Om lol

post-6527-1129662943.jpg

post-6527-1129662992.jpg

post-6527-1129663002.jpg

post-6527-1129663593.jpg

post-6527-1129663601.jpg

post-6527-1129663610.jpg

Edited by Om

I will join in on the trip Om - I know what all th Grow gear is except the "frtile fiber". Can you givce a complete discription. :smoke:

I'm guessing it is some new medium mix or some thing..........Is it anorganic medium ?

Pot Size: 15 litre

Soil: 2 x Lightmix

Soil: 4 x Fertile Fibre

Nutes: Biobizz

Lights: 20/4, 2 x 400w navTplus

Water: RO filtered

Weapon: Stengun Hawkins fine rose watering can

Yesterday I gave each of the plants 1 litre of water with 1ml of biobizz algamic and grow. All plants appear healthy, 2 however both WW's in FF
................ FF = "Fertile Fiber" ........Is that similar to or same as "Coco Cior & Neem Cake"....

:yinyang: