THE shed thread

Hashmaker6

Ok so I know that both myself and able seaman @@Bud Wiser are both hatching out shed plans.

I can't go in the existing shed as its full of bikes and Mrs Hashmaker would like a nice red brick shed in its place. That will be a year or two away and I wouldn't have a clue about cost - it will be an apex roof with effectively 2 rooms. - 1 approx 8 X 10 for all the current shed stuff and then and a 10 X 5 or maybe 6 for the grow room.

Alternatively I could go for a quick and dirty £300 shiplap shed and put it next to existing and be up and running by Christmas.

I'm in no rush, my summer grow will keep me going for most of the next year. My adviser is pushing me into the shiplap route but I'm inclined to hold out and build a brick grow room I a bid to avoid the endless chasing of temps.

Let's get this thread rocking!

Edited by Hashmaker6
  • Like 1

I'm going to build a shed at some point in the not so distant future, I've been looking at sips - structural insulation panels, basically an osb sandwich with polystyrene in the middle.

• Like 4

@@The_Moog would you have to construct a steel frame for that? If it is, how do you deal with cold bridging? I've a large steel shed insulated with spray foam as a workshop; I've been thinking over the last year a small one would make a great grow room, not really that much dearer size for size than a wooden garden shed

• Like 1

I think it depends on the design of your structure but with these sips they're designed to just interlock and then be glued (and maybe screwed a bit ;) ) I think you have to build a light framework for the roof but basically the sips are very rigid so for a simple design they do everything and the building should have minimal cold bridging without further work, they're not especially cheap to buy though.

• Like 2

There was some cheese that someone grew in a wood shed going around here we new it as sheddar could tell by the strange smell

• Like 7

I'm on my third shed! First one I just converted an existing shed and split it into two areas, grow and flower. The next two sheds inc the one I'm using now were special orders. I get them 8ft x 6ft without any windows and the door at the end. I line them with silver insulation roll, then a layer of marine ply and mylar on top of that. I run a 600w light and a 4 inch RVK outlet - inlet is passive.

I can run this set up all year round but I need some heat tubes for the winter. It does get pretty hot in summer but the plants can handle it. When I set it up I planted some ivy and another vigorous climbing plant called Parthensisus and they have now completely covered the shed and protects it from the sun.

I've been running these sheds for over 15 yrs -365 days a year and turned out a crop every attempt. My current shed, which is 10 years old now, cost about 550 to set up not including light,fans etc and I think it has another ten years left in it.

Edited by bearukc
  • Like 14

you know that smell you get when you open a wooden shed ?

thats what anything grown inside one will taste off

Not true with my shed! :) Most people who have smoked my weed say it tastes really clean and I put that down to the quality of the fresh air drawn into a shed - as opposed to dusty contaminated air in a house. It didn't smell of shed even when it was new but then I did put three layers over the wood :)

• Like 3

Not true with my shed! :) Most people who have smoked my weed say it tastes really clean and I put that down to the quality of the fresh air drawn into a shed - as opposed to dusty contaminated air in a house. It didn't smell of shed even when it was new but then I did put three layers over the wood :)

Hey @@bearukc wheb you exhaust in the winter, does it stand out? I mean like a continuous vent of steaming warm air ? I've read about exhausting through the floor for discretion but I'd have thought lots of moist warm air under a shed isn't going to be good for the floor.... Ideal world for me will be brick building (cavity wall on the grow room half), well insulated with a secondary grow area built into this so I can then extract into the shed itself... I think.

@@Hashmaker6

Hi bud, I've been growing in a wooden shed for a few years, well not exactly the shed itself, but a converted fridge/freezer inside the shed.........

Works a treat if its set up properly like @@bearukc has done. I only extract outside, not recommended to vent into the shed or any enclosed space

due to the humidity it creates. Summer I intake from outside and winter from inside the shed. Luckily its under a tree and shaded for most of the day.

Temps are the main issue I've found, luckily I use dwc so keeping roots warm is pretty easy, small fan heater inside the fridge, with a tube heater inside the intake duct

both on a thermostat takes care of the air temp in winter. Summer I tend to run lights at night and use fem plants to cut temps, winter, autos so lights can stay on 24/7

again to help with temps. My extractor fan is oversized and on a controller which also helps with temps and keep noise down.

Good luck with the project

(I haven't noticed a continuous stream of steam pouring out the vent either... :rofl: ...)

atb

stu :oldtoker:

Edited by stu914
  • Like 3

ive had more problems with cold than heat in sheds, ive had 2 x 1000w and even ran 3 x 600w in a shed without any issues.

temps at lights off in winter can be a problem, i use a small oil rad with a fan on it. always have the lights running at night. make sure its well insulated.

• Like 4

Hey @@bearukc wheb you exhaust in the winter, does it stand out? I mean like a continuous vent of steaming warm air ? I've read about exhausting through the floor for discretion but I'd have thought lots of moist warm air under a shed isn't going to be good for the floor.... Ideal world for me will be brick building (cavity wall on the grow room half), well insulated with a secondary grow area built into this so I can then extract into the shed itself... I think.

You can't see the exhaust from the shed! There's no stream of steaming air coming out. I exhaust out the back of the shed with the vent at about 5ft. I have my passive intake in the floor to take air from under the shed as it's warmer in winter and cooler in summer. You will have to exhaust to outside otherwise you'll have issues with heat and humidity.

The main difficulties I found setting up were light leaks and humidity when the lights go out. The humidity I've sorted by running the fans 24/7 although this means I have to run the heating 24hr during the winter. Light leaks are a little trickier especially around intake and outlet. Light leaks around the door can be solved with light-proof curtains.

As for the brick building, I actually reckon a sorted wooden shed is better. Most brick sheds I've seen get bad humidity problems.

• Like 5

I took a couple of shots of the shed -well, what you can see of it. It's an 8ft x 6ft I set up about 8 yrs ago. When I started I planted a Virginia Creeper (Parthenosisus) which has now completely covered the shed. Nice and discrete :oldtoker:

hidden shed door

hidden shed1

• Like 16

I took a couple of shots of the shed -well, what you can see of it. It's an 8ft x 6ft I set up about 8 yrs ago. When I started I planted a Virginia Creeper (Parthenosisus) which has now completely covered the shed. Nice and discrete :oldtoker:

Great cover with ivy etc. Ur secret hut lol. Any pic's of set up inside with fans, filters the whole shebang?

• Like 1