drippers/ remote watering

farmer boy

this year im planing on actualy watering some of my outdoor plants but it is a real fucker trying to drag 50ltrs of water under a bramble bush at a time . what i am planing on doing is putting a 50ltr res some 30-50 meters up hill from my sit and run a pipe just under the ground to the site with a dripper at the base of the plant and let gravity do the rest . the idea is i can make the res quite easly accsesable and easy to fillup with out leaving tracks to the site . im hopeing the 50ltr res will last 5-7 days at a time

any ideas/views/imput ?

peace out farmer boy

sounds like the jobs a good'n to me mate... how would you fill it up though is this a close to home jobbie? i bet you can get a hose pipe there cant you ya lucky sod.. if only we all had farms!

you've just reminded me i need to go and build some ponds

hi m8 my main plot has running water and the rest are reasonadly accsesable by quad the odd 1-2 that arnet i have no problem carrying 2x 25ltr drums to . going for some real big fuckers this year

peace out farmer boy

going for some real big fuckers this year

peace out farmer boy

lol oh because you failed miserably this year and only got tiddlers, thats right i remember :yinyang:

good luck man, cant wait to see the results

this was at my main plot at the end of last season all i done was run the hose around the plot and cut slits in it every now and then . this year i want it so it is more controled and so i can add liquid ferts

peace out farmer boy

post-41235-1294434741_thumb.jpg

Sounds good fb. I was considering similar last year, just using a hose and a funnel though, no resevoir. Drippers are a top idea, your very own outdoors hydro!

I was worried that i might overwater as i couldnt see the plants, but i`m sure the big berthas will be glad of all the water they can get.

Ol`smokey

how about a small swimming pool, let it collect rain water. some kind of rain harvesting device/sheet thingie.

Edited by dpn

Guest Frogman

How much pressure do you think you get from that hight/distance? Ican imagine that some holes will drip water but some not, or just different flow rates from different holes along the length of the hose.

have you thought about multiple hoses from one tank, so you can control the rate to each plant individually. I dont know if could get good results with smaller diameter tube, like 5/10mm.Black polyurethane tubing looks the biz for that sort of thing..

What sort of container have you got?. One of them massive white square plastic containers would be good if you could get hold of one, just paint it and get some camo netting to cover it maybe?

You can make good auto waterers by gluing together two small terracotta flowerpots to make a capsule, and fitting a hose from a reservoir to the top - You bury the pots next to the plant, and the terracotta regulates the flow of water.

Look here.

hxxp://www.darrolshillingburg.com/GardenSite/PorousClayCapsuleIrrigation.html

You can make good auto waterers by gluing together two small terracotta flowerpots to make a capsule, and fitting a hose from a reservoir to the top - You bury the pots next to the plant, and the terracotta regulates the flow of water.

Look here.

awsome ! what a cool idea :)

thanks steerpike

peace out farmer boy

How much pressure do you think you get from that hight/distance? Ican imagine that some holes will drip water but some not, or just different flow rates from different holes along the length of the hose.

have you thought about multiple hoses from one tank, so you can control the rate to each plant individually. I dont know if could get good results with smaller diameter tube, like 5/10mm.Black polyurethane tubing looks the biz for that sort of thing..

What sort of container have you got?. One of them massive white square plastic containers would be good if you could get hold of one, just paint it and get some camo netting to cover it maybe?

hi frogman :)

havent got a clue what pressure there will be but its about a 3m drop so its not that bad .

only got 1-3 plant/site so not looking to run lots of drippers/system but what i was thinking was 1 hose from the tank down to the site then a 4 way spliter with 3 pipes coming of all at the same lenght ?

container wise i have everything from 10ltr up to 8000ltr drums :) but will probable go with some 100ltr tanks that i have spare

peace out farmer boy

Look here.

steerpike this is gonna save me a shit load, your a top man postin this on here :thumpsup:

was actually thinking of doin the dripper/sprinkler idea you started sayin in this thread FB. seeing this now, which do you think would be more effective???

and of course, which will you be using??

was thinking the olla idea could work better as seperate units, buried at the bottom of your holes, with a hose connected above ground level for filling!?!

CTOAUN just ramblin cos i had a bong lol