Gardening Which Compost Trials 08

oldtimer1

This year the trials were spread over two issues.

The first is for seeds and cuttings:-

post-338-1206875112_thumb.jpg

The second for young plants

post-338-1205919678_thumb.jpg

The third is for container and large plants:-

post-338-1205919728_thumb.jpg

Edit to note I had missed out uploading the seeds and cuttings chart, this has now been rectified Thanks to Hairy Face for pointing this out to me.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnyblaze

• djay

• oldtimer1

• Machiavelli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest scarface

:woot: jesus homebase done well

many thanks for posting this ot1 :yes:

e2a - just out of interest ot1, are these results making you consider switching composts?

Edited by scarface

Id love to know which version of the Westlands Hanging Basket & Container compost they tested :unsure:

It got great marks , so surely it cant be the shit formula :woot:

I wonder if Westlands have indeed reverted back to the old formula....

I wonder a lot :yes:

Cheers for putting this up OT1 :D

:yinyang:

Redgrotto

Edited by Redgrotto

many thanks for posting this ot1 :yes:

e2a - just out of interest ot1, are these results making you consider switching composts?

Hmm I am still using the same westlands HB and container compost plus JI, ie I have been reusing it, sieving out roots and adding 10% worm and 5% premix by volume for 3 grows, with an increase of yield each grow.

You can only do this if there has been no disease.

It takes about 300 liters per 48 plant grow.

I am going to try a bag of west + advanced in a few pots in my coming grow to see how it does against the reprocessed compost.

I don’t know what the latest westlands HB and container compost plus JI is like or if it has been reformulated. When I bought the west + advanced, it was the only fresh delivery westlands compost they had in stock.

Hey thanks' ot, been on the lookout for new compost as i need to be potting some cutts up real soon.

Think i'll still be going for the jab meself.

Thanks' again

taffy

Guest scarface
Is it just me but i,m stryggling to read the results?? thanks for posting tho as always good to read this

JD

click on the picture once youve opened it up, that will magnify it mate :yes:

A very useful post, thanks OT1. I'm glad to see the West+ Advanced scored well, we used it for our last grow and found it much easier to use than the current WMP, it's softer and doesn't harden like the WMP. A pity that so many composts were reformulated and thus disqualified, not very bright of the manufacturers ISTM.

TheTopiarist
A pity that so many composts were reformulated and thus disqualified, not very bright of the manufacturers ISTM.

Agreed.

I'm using Levington's multi-purpose compost with it's fancy dan 'waterlock' system.

As it's gonna be in the loft it holds water for longer. Early indications show that it does hold water better than my other compost I was using... Homebase multi-purpose FFS! :unsure:

I am going to try a bag of west + advanced in a few pots in my coming grow to see how it does against the reprocessed compost.

thanks for posting this years charts ot1 .

be interesting to hear your results with the advanced + . it seemed more suited to my tap water (soft water water pH adjusted with lime to +8 by the water company :P . it settles to 7.6 after a day of bubbling ) and produced the best root system i v seen with compost . didn t get to flower the plants i had going in it in though, so no comment on yeild etc .

it also worth mentioning i noticed a load of dead fungus gnats on the floor when i removed the plants to cull. i v read other members had similar experiences . sorry if this is off topic but is Gnatrol available in the UK or is Gnat-Off our equivalent ?

i v just put some seedlings germed in 1" RW cubes into 3" pots with advanced+/ 50% perlite . i ll post some pics in a few days .

i have done but still very blurry or are my eyes giving in :P

JD

open the picture , maximise the window , wait a few seconds and you should see a box with four arrows appear in bottom right of picture . click on this to few full size . hth JD

Edited by johnyblaze

many thanks for posting this ot1 :smoke:

Hmm I am still using the same westlands HB and container compost plus JI, ie I have been reusing it, sieving out roots and adding 10% worm and 5% premix by volume for 3 grows, with an increase of yield each grow.

You can only do this if there has been no disease.

It takes about 300 liters per 48 plant grow.

I don’t know what the latest westlands HB and container compost plus JI is like or if it has been reformulated. When I bought the west + advanced, it was the only fresh delivery westlands compost they had in stock.

hi OT thanx for this info .. iwas wondering do you use your own worm castings? .. i have a wormery that is located outside so i'm a little hesitant to use the castings indoors .. :D:yinyang:

Guest Dr Benways Assistant
it also worth mentioning i noticed a load of dead fungus gnats on the floor when i removed the plants to cull. i v read other members had similar experiences

I really like West+ very light and fluffy and the roots love it but the fungus gnat thing is really annoying and bad for the plants, making me consider a switch cos measures against them will get expensive.

it also worth mentioning i noticed a load of dead fungus gnats on the floor when i removed the plants to cull. i v read other members had similar experiences

I really like West+ very light and fluffy and the roots love it but the fungus gnat thing is really annoying and bad for the plants, making me consider a switch cos measures against them will get expensive.

I'm using West+ and haven't heard anything about this, the compost bringing gnats into my grow room?!